Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Best verses for dealing with loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best verses for dealing with loss?

    A dear friend of mine experienced a miscarriage last week, and of course it's a sensitive topic and it's hard to know what to say to comfort her.

    I'm wondering if anyone can give me some good verses that may have helped you through loss? I think we probably all have our favorites that help us through tough times, but I would like to make a bit of a compilation of verses that might help her.

    Thanks in advance - I really appreciate it and I am sure she will, too.

  • #2
    When my mom died, what helped me the most eas being able to share my feeling, experiences, and thoughts. It was being with people who listened and who genuinely cared about me and how I was feeling.
    Comment>

    • #3
      Hi Amelia, I agree with Filmjunkie, sometimes it's not what we say, it's just a matter of being there with our friend or family member who is hurting and by doing so, letting them know we care. A lot of times we don't need to say anything at all, we just listen and maybe hold their hand (and that's all the suffering really need or want sometimes).

      That said, here are a few verses/passages that come to mind that may or may not be useful in this case: Psalm 23 Also: Psalm 34:18; Isaiah 40:31; Isaiah 41:10; 2 Samuel 12:19-23; Matthew 11:28-30; John 11:25-26

      There are many more, of course :)

      Yours and His,
      David
      p.s. - the passage from 2 Samuel tells us how King David dealt with the death of his and Bathsheba's first born. The comfort to be found in that passage is the very last phrase where David says of his son, "I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me". David meant by this that he would see his son again in Heaven. This is true of all of our unborn children as well :)



      "He [John the Baptist] will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he
      will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the
      Holy Spirit while yet in his mother’s womb"

      Luke 1:15





      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

      "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

      "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

      "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

      "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

      • #4
        Ecclesiastes 3:1-4
        For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; 3 a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; 4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance
        Psalm 34:18
        The LORD is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
        Isaiah 41:10
        . . . fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
        Isaiah 43:2
        “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”
        Psalm 46:1-2
        “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.”
        Comment>

        • #5
          St_Worm2
          filmjunkie08

          So true about just wanting to talk or vent. I visited her last week and I absolutely think that helped. Just to be there for someone is a huge thing - and just to let them cry if they need to! She someone that definitely takes comfort and solace from prayer, too, so I thought this would be a good help! So a big thank you for all the verses, too :)

          Comment>

          • #6
            " For I know the thought that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expectation" Jeremiah 29:11 KJV. There so many scripture to comfort a grieving soul but all in all our presence during their difficult times should express God's intent towards them that he will never leave nor forsake them at anytime. That way a sorrowful heart can find comfort or solace in our care and see God's love through us.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by emuzeskylow View Post
              " For I know the thought that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expectation" Jeremiah 29:11 KJV. There so many scripture to comfort a grieving soul but all in all our presence during their difficult times should express God's intent towards them that he will never leave nor forsake them at anytime. That way a sorrowful heart can find comfort or solace in our care and see God's love through us.
              Beautifully said. There's something that can't beat knowing a person is there for you. I'm checking in with my friend again in person this weekend, so I'll give her the list of verses everyone has chipped in with, as well as spending some quality time with her over a cup of tea <3
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by amelia88 View Post
                St_Worm2
                filmjunkie08

                So true about just wanting to talk or vent. I visited her last week and I absolutely think that helped. Just to be there for someone is a huge thing - and just to let them cry if they need to! She someone that definitely takes comfort and solace from prayer, too, so I thought this would be a good help! So a big thank you for all the verses, too :)
                Amen. I have also been told sometimes the best thing you can do is listen.If we follow a little farther down Smithlee's Psalm 46 to verse 10: "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth ... "Be still, and know that I am God!

                Sometimes we talk to much. Myself included. I try to be a better listener. I pray your friend is doing better.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Even So View Post

                  Amen. I have also been told sometimes the best thing you can do is listen.If we follow a little farther down Smithlee's Psalm 46 to verse 10: "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth ... "Be still, and know that I am God!

                  Sometimes we talk to much. Myself included. I try to be a better listener. I pray your friend is doing better.
                  Thank you! She is. Time is healing her, and taking comfort in her loved ones being there for her. She really appreciated all the verses. We've been spending a lot of time together lately - and you're right - just sitting with her has honestly been some of the best stuff for her. Letting her cry and just hugging her. I think you can't substitute physical presence for much.

                  I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share verses or your thoughts about helping people through loss. It means a lot to me.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Reading the Song of Songs always made me feel better. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's loss I'll be praying for her. I also read the different parables in the New Testament when I'm feeling down, a good story is great for the heart.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Well these are all really great, but I would have to say that the Isaiah 41:10 really takes the cake for me. There is just something about the way that one is worded that gets me every time. I am also pretty sure that there is something subconscious going on here, where I have heard that particular verse at a really tough time in my life, but I am having trouble identifying which one it was or when it was, but that is okay. There are all really helpful, and I know that I have been there for times when I needed them to pick myself up. I am sure I am not alone there, and so thank you for sharing.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap