Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Other Religious References In Fantasy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Religious References In Fantasy

I love fantasy as a genre. Cracked did a great video talking about how each species represented different religions, elves being Christian. And of who can forget Narnia Chronicles and the powerful imagery that is inspired by Christianity. One of my favorite horror fantasy iBut a disturbing but not technically illogical trend in fantasy is to reference either pagan religions with earth gods and goddesses or some other polytheistic religion, usually Celtic or Northern European. I kind of get it because in a magical world, there would be witches who are attached to those archaic religions. But I wonder why the Christian references were so limited and when it is used, they usually end up as the bad guys. Like the movie Priest, it's about the Catholic Church being in charge of the war against vampires. It's done really well but the bigger problem wasn't the vampires but the abandonment of the church to the people who had forsaken their love and personal lives to serve. It's a reoccurring them in fantasy that if Christianity is included or even referenced, it's for the bad guys. What are your thoughts about it? I get having multiple religions if you are creating a story like Game Of Thrones, where there are different people and societies. But why does Christianity have to be the default bad guy in fantasy?

Why are you watching agenda-driven fantasy in the first place? There are lots without those things or don't have any reference to Christianity. Don't watch anything made after 1980.
    Comment>

If you've noticed anything about how these stories present religion, every character at some point loses their faith. What the media wants even though they are trying to hide behind pagan religions is to make people believe religion can't save you. Ever. That's why there's so much religions in movies and TV shows. They want their audiences to lose their religion because "there's nothing, only darkness" on the other side. And guess who's behind all that? Satan.
      Comment>

Most fantasy is written by unbelievers, therefore, they will more than likely demonize anything that even looks like Christianity, or at the very least make it look impotent by comparison to other powers within the world they made up.

A series of books written by a very good fantasy writer basically took a religion that looks like Christianity back in the middle ages and kind of turned it on its head. The deity that was the focus was almost non-existent while at the same time followers of this religion would go to a remote island to gather stones that fell from this belt that ringed the planet. Their task was to hone the powers within the stones and use them within their religion from everything from healing the sick to self defense. While at the same time had a very real demon that would enter the world from time to time and cause havoc until someone - or some people - from this religious group who had proficiency in using the stones were able to defeat the demon and send him back from whence he came.

While being a rather entertaining series, it does relegate any kind of deity behind the religion to an afterthought.
        Comment>

I read somewhere that Lord of the Rings is basically a fantasy version of religion, with each character representing a main figure in popular deities. It's a pretty interesting concept, as Tolkien was a devout worshiper, and proceeded to write a series of novels based on his belief, and the values that they have portrayed. He made a pretty compelling series, that has won countless awards through the decades, and still has the religious roots at its core, and for any reader or even viewer of the movies that there were made to, you can easily see the distinction and the representation of the different characters of the Bible.
          Comment>

Well in reference to Game of Thrones, which I know fairly well, the religious are not necessarily represented as bad guys. The faith of the seven, which is the series' version of Christianity is followed by most people good or bad. Most people don't take it seriously. But the ones who do, the High Sparrow for example, is not necessarily what I'd consider the bad guy. He comes across as very well-intentioned.
            Comment>

Originally posted by rootle View Post
              Well in reference to Game of Thrones, which I know fairly well, the religious are not necessarily represented as bad guys. The faith of the seven, which is the series' version of Christianity is followed by most people good or bad. Most people don't take it seriously. But the ones who do, the High Sparrow for example, is not necessarily what I'd consider the bad guy. He comes across as very well-intentioned.
              Um, I don't know if I would call anyone who walks a person through a city naked can ever be considered well-intentioned. The High Sparrow is a fanatic, the worst part is that he thinks his logic and reasoning is infallible. His false humility has an underlying arrogance to it that makes him assume that he should never be questioned. The High Sparrow is ISIS stuck in one body, false humility is simply a power play to replace the royal house with himself. But I will admit that Game of Thrones is very well balanced in its portal of religion and it's followers, it's very believable. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for most other fantasy books with one religion focus.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap