Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Favorite version of God's Name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite version of God's Name?

I personally like Yahweh. There is a mathematical number that explains why it's said the way it is that I enjoy. It's also the name that is referenced in old paintings. When you look at old Catholic paintings and see little weird symbols at the top, they represent God, because you can't show him, and the name that is usually referenced is Yahweh.

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
    I personally like Yahweh. There is a mathematical number that explains why it's said the way it is that I enjoy. It's also the name that is referenced in old paintings. When you look at old Catholic paintings and see little weird symbols at the top, they represent God, because you can't show him, and the name that is usually referenced is Yahweh.
    Yeah, I too like to say Father Yahweh Elohim.
    Comment>

When Moses asked God's name, he was told God's name is I AM. And He is referred to as the LORD and KING by all the other prophets. When someone greater than Moses came, and taught His disciples how they should pray, He said God is our Father in heaven. That's how everyone should know God IMHO.
      Comment>

I don't have any favorites, there have been many variations through the different lessons in Theology growing up, so I really never chose any favorites or whatever. Elementary, High School, even two years in College, all have theology classes, where we basically studied the same stories, parables, and the sorts over and over again through the years. And I'm not exaggerating, I just happened to live in a pretty religious country, with pretty religious school teachings in all levels. I guess it was pretty enjoyable.
        Comment>

In Hebrew it is YHWH, expanded to Yahweh. There was a phase in the Catholic Church of using this. The Jerusalem Bible (first published in 1966) uses Yahweh. However the Catholic Church dropped the practice out of respect for the Jews who never pronounce this name of God.

Although the Jerusalem Bible is used in the reading at Mass in the UK, the lectionary uses "the Lord" rather than Yahweh
          Comment>

From my younger years, I have encountered different variations of name for him. It started at Yahweh, then Lord and God. Most of the time I am using God to address him on all my prayers and even during conversations with other people.
            Comment>

In the past few years since I started reading the Old Testament, I've come across names like Yahweh, Jehovah, El Shaddai, and I AM. While this names evoke the different aspects of God's personality, it's his being a father that connects most to me. Because of what Jesus did on the cross, I earned the right to call him Father. Hence, this is how I often address him in my prayers - Father.
              Comment>

My favourite version of God's name is El Elyon meaning the Most High God. It reminds me of the fact that our God is higher than all, bigger than all and greater than all.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap