X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christianity under attack even in Entertainment

I have been noticing a lot of hate for all things Christian, even in basic entertainment. It seems that there is an anti-Christian agenda in TV shows and movies, especially those made in countries outside the US. Maybe I just notice it more now, but I seem to be seeing a lot of Christians portrayed as crazy people. They seem to take all the extremes and put them together to make Christians look nuts. There are a lot of shows and movies about religious cults and stuff too. How many Jim Jones types are really out there that it should be so prevalent a theme? It gets old, to put it mildly.

I've mentioned it in some reviews, especially after watching something so bad that I had to turn it off without completing it. Of course, many people don't like that and are quick to argue or downvote such reviews.

Is it just me, or do others noticing it being more common as well?

I don't know about more common, but it is something that's been ongoing for a while. There are articles complaining about it from 2014 and earlier, for example, Ned Flanders in the Simpsons wasnt exactly a stellar portrayal (extra-marital sex?) and The Simpsons has been ongoing for nearly forty years. There's a really good article from 2012 "Bad Christians make good TV" which decries a reality series "Good Christian Bitches" because the women featured are the last of the three words only...

Religious faith isn't something often shown as admirable or to aspire to, and that is a shame. People believe what they see on TV, and if they never see anything positive about Christianity, then they won't have a good opinion of it. It is easy to say "be a good example" but most people will see more bad examples on TV, and it is an uphill battle.
    Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
      I don't know about more common, but it is something that's been ongoing for a while. There are articles complaining about it from 2014 and earlier, for example, Ned Flanders in the Simpsons wasnt exactly a stellar portrayal (extra-marital sex?) and The Simpsons has been ongoing for nearly forty years. There's a really good article from 2012 "Bad Christians make good TV" which decries a reality series "Good Christian Bitches" because the women featured are the last of the three words only...

Religious faith isn't something often shown as admirable or to aspire to, and that is a shame. People believe what they see on TV, and if they never see anything positive about Christianity, then they won't have a good opinion of it. It is easy to say "be a good example" but most people will see more bad examples on TV, and it is an uphill battle.
      True, it's not new. It just seems more prevalent to me now (or maybe I wasn't paying as close attention). I didn't use to watch as much TV movies a few years ago either, so that could be part of it.

Well, that was an interesting article. Thanks. I don't see it as 'whining' per se. I think people should speak out. I get the point though. Good Christians are seen as boring, not entertaining, and entertainment is the name of the game.

Yes, we should try to be a good example, but then again, we don't have the same reach as a movie or a TV network either. I agree more with your last paragraph than with the article.
      Comment>

It is a shame that non Christian countries like Japan and South Korea have better portrayal of their Christian characters. American television currently have terrible portrayal of Christians because most High positioned people in Hollywood are LGBT. I see a lot of LGBT propaganda in most American TV shows these days. I think it is better to raise kids with Vintage television.

Latin America usually have religious Christians as protagonists but the kissing scenes there are way too over the top to be PG.
        Comment>

Originally posted by thisnthat View Post
          I have been noticing a lot of hate for all things Christian, even in basic entertainment. It seems that there is an anti-Christian agenda in TV shows and movies, especially those made in countries outside the US. Maybe I just notice it more now, but I seem to be seeing a lot of Christians portrayed as crazy people. They seem to take all the extremes and put them together to make Christians look nuts. There are a lot of shows and movies about religious cults and stuff too. How many Jim Jones types are really out there that it should be so prevalent a theme? It gets old, to put it mildly.

I've mentioned it in some reviews, especially after watching something so bad that I had to turn it off without completing it. Of course, many people don't like that and are quick to argue or downvote such reviews.

Is it just me, or do others noticing it being more common as well?
          You've just noticed this now? In my lifetime, I can't remember a time when this wasn't happening.

Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

You've just noticed this now? In my lifetime, I can't remember a time when this wasn't happening.
            Nope, as stated in my previous posts, I've just noticed it more lately. I also said I didn't used to watch a lot of TV or movies, but I watch more now.

Now that I'm exposed to it more, it bothers me more. I wish people could see some good examples of Christians in the mainstream, instead of being bombarded with the bad. Some of those TV "evangelists" that have gone down in shame haven't helped much either.
            Comment>

I think 70's 80's 90's and even early 2000's tv shows are more Christian friendly. During those times a gay kiss have to be rated as r-18. Now you can even see it in children's shows. Also during those times you can also see characters go to church and pray. During the 90's even superheroes goes to church. Now the more atheist the character is the more cooler they are.

TV networks are trying to please the liberals and social justice warriors with their brand of diversity. I like racial diversity because I am against racism but I don't like the LGBT and abortion agendas. Every show right now have a Gay character and non of them are villainous.
              Comment>

Originally posted by thisnthat View Post

Nope, as stated in my previous posts, I've just noticed it more lately. I also said I didn't used to watch a lot of TV or movies, but I watch more now.

Now that I'm exposed to it more, it bothers me more. I wish people could see some good examples of Christians in the mainstream, instead of being bombarded with the bad. Some of those TV "evangelists" that have gone down in shame haven't helped much either.
                My apologies for not reading carefully.
                Comment>

I watch less American media now due to having unavoidable liberal agenda. US is one of the biggest populated Christian countries but it's media is so anti-Christianity. Seriously Korean media have better portrayal of Christians and that country is not even Christian. I just find their movies and shows more family friendly.

Latin American media is also more Christian friendly due to Catholicism but their characters are way too sexually aggressive and they have incest between cousins as a media norm.
                  Comment>

I don't know why is there so much hate. Why can't people just respect each other's beliefs. I guess in a way I couldn't blame the media because there's been some Christian groups that have been quite judgemental. The bible said only God may judge someone so I doubt those "religious" groups have done their research. They are destroying the good name of Christianity and even though not all Christians are judgemental, the media seems to want to make controversy to attract a bigger audience. Money is indeed the root of all evil after all.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by prodigalson View Post
                      Why can't people just respect each other's beliefs.
                      By this, are you equating respect with civility or do you mean everyone should be able to do and believe what they want?

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

By this, are you equating respect with civility or do you mean everyone should be able to do and believe what they want?

God bless,
                        William
                        "It's a free country," is an oft repeated phrase in Britain. Maybe the land of the free is less free. Nobody needs my permission to hold views I disagree with, and, unless it is illegal, they also don't need my permission to do things I disagree with.

If you don't want people attacking Christianity, you need to return the compliment, otherwise people will give as good as they get.

Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post
                          If you don't want people attacking Christianity, you need to return the compliment, otherwise people will give as good as they get.
                          We are engaged in a was against the forces of evil. In order to win a way you must attack the enemy. We must also be prepared for them to attack us. The fact that we are under attack isn't always a bad thing. It means that our enemy sees us as a threat.
                          Clyde Herrin's Blog
                          Comment>

Media is a very powerful medium though. Many people see celebrities as their role models and many celebrities these days are anti-Christianity. The country singers and gospel singers the only ones not ashamed of being a christian.

Many curse words in Canadian French is church related. So you can imagine how much the disrespect media gives as influences people. heck even being anti-Christian is becoming a vehicle for fame. One of the most popular Youtubers is Amazing Atheist.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                              We are engaged in a was against the forces of evil. In order to win a way you must attack the enemy. We must also be prepared for them to attack us. The fact that we are under attack isn't always a bad thing. It means that our enemy sees us as a threat.
                              Couldn't agree more Theo. The Church is supposed to be on the offensive, "not even the gates of Hades shall prevail against it".

God bless,
                              William
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap