Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Florida Considers Changes to Homeschool Requirements after Girl's Tragic Death

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Considers Changes to Homeschool Requirements after Girl's Tragic Death

Lawmakers and activists are pushing to change Florida’s homeschool policies after a young girl whose mother claimed to be homeschooling her, was found dead.

More...

That little girl's death had nothing to do with home schooling. At most, the home schooling claim was just used to explain the girl's absence from public school. But, even without the claim, the girl would still be dead.

The smartest thing Ted Cruz ever said was to equate School Choice with a civil right (sadly, then it seems he moved on). Our enemies want to control our children's education. They're completely fine with hundreds of thousands of kids graduating from the public school system, barely literate in spite of the hundreds of thousands of public dollars spent to educate each of those children, just as long as those kids have been subjected to years of anti-Christian education.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      That little girl's death had nothing to do with home schooling. At most, the home schooling claim was just used to explain the girl's absence from public school. But, even without the claim, the girl would still be dead.
      I completely agree with you, Cornelius. What a bizarre angle to focus on in this tragedy of a young girl's death and her siblings. Child Protective Services, a department of mental health, family support .... so many more meaningful angles. The other children in the family had no idea what had become of their sister, and they weren't allowed to talk about it. Then after a year of this little girl's "disappearance", the mother drops the freezer off at the home of a relative, and there's her body. Yet somehow "home schooling" is a cause of concern?? There are so many areas that should receive "stricter oversight" than homeschooling.

Our enemies want to control our children's education. They're completely fine with hundreds of thousands of kids graduating from the public school system, barely literate in spite of the hundreds of thousands of public dollars spent to educate each of those children, just as long as those kids have been subjected to years of anti-Christian education.
      Well said. Public schools are a failure in so many ways, yet money keeps being thrown at the whole system. The education my mom received 60 years ago was far superior and relevant than what my grandkids are getting now. Ah, you're much more articulate than I, Cornelius - I can't even formulate my thoughts, let alone have my fingers type them.....
      Comment>

Originally posted by Trysch View Post
        The education my mom received 60 years ago was far superior and relevant than what my grandkids are getting now.
        Even adjusted for inflation, your mom's education cost nickles on the dollar compared to today's public schools. In a display of ignorance so grand as to rip the very fabric of cosmic space-time, many people think the problem with public schools is a lack of funding.

DC Schools: $29,349 Per Pupil, 83% Not Proficient in Reading
        Comment>

In a display of ignorance so grand as to rip the very fabric of cosmic space-time
          LOL - you are much more articulate than I, and much more eloquent!

We are actually fortunate to live in a fairly small town, about 12,000 people, with a school district that includes one high school, one middle school, and two elementary schools. Our teacher salaries are less than neighboring school districts, yet we have a mixed household economic base - with some atrociously high income households, and those salaries are made in the "neighboring school districts" with the higher teacher wages. So we have disgruntled teachers who think their salaries should be higher because we have households with high salaries. But these same teachers are also fortunate to live in the same area in which they work, so they don't have the stressful work commute, the expensive transportation commute, and housing prices are a bit less than some of the neighboring school districts. I think we all make our personal choices, and if we don't like our personal choices, then one should stop whining and make a new choice.

Because we are a small school district, I would say we have less waste in administrator salaries and perks than the neighboring school districts. And we certainly have less waste than the large metropolitan areas like Los Angeles, Chicago, and other notoriously corrupt school districts.

We also are fortunate that many of the liberal ideologies that have made the news as being taught in schools aren't as rampant here in our small community. I've lived in this town for 19 years, and there have been teachers and administrators who have "retired early" because of the public school quagmire both from the feds and the state of California. When one is forced to teach or lead outside of their moral fabric or common sense, in the name of "progress," then the personal choice is sometimes to "ride along" and sometimes it's to "jump ship" because the tsunami waves keep getting bigger.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap