Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Christian Moviemakers Opt for Black Cast after Glut of Whitewashed Faith Films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Moviemakers Opt for Black Cast after Glut of Whitewashed Faith Films

New Christian movie to star black cast after criticism that faith films are too white.

More...

Roma Downey and her husband have made their shows "diverse" (and completely apostate, too). In AD the Bible Continues, some of Jesus inner circle were played by black actors, such as the Apostle John and Mary Magdalene (Jesus was played by a South American actor, Peter was played by a Jewish actor). The Romans were 100% white, because they were evil, don't you know.

Jesus and the 11 apostles were semites living in the Greek orbit of Galilee (the other apostle, Judas Iscariot, was Judean). They were caucasians who would have looked like Arabs (without regard for likely non-semitic ancestors from the Roman-Greek world). That's just history.

If I were living in Africa or China, and Asian actors played all the roles in an historical Chinese TV drama, I wouldn't feel the least bit offended by the authenticity -- because I would have no reason to be offended.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
      If I were living in Africa or China, and Asian actors played all the roles in an historical Chinese TV drama, I wouldn't feel the least bit offended by the authenticity -- because I would have no reason to be offended.
      But from what is said about the film it doesn't appear to be a historical movie but one about the present time and there seems to me to be merit in the charge that contemporary Christian films have almost exclusively white casts. At least that is the case with most of the movies I have seen.

The important thing to consider about a Christian movie isn't the skin color of the cast but whether or not the message it promotes is true to the Bible. Unfortunately it seems that a lot of films fail in this area.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        But from what is said about the film it doesn't appear to be a historical movie but one about the present time and there seems to me to be merit in the charge that contemporary Christian films have almost exclusively white casts. At least that is the case with most of the movies I have seen.
        I didn't read the article close enough, with all its retarded ranting about racism (and the misleading word in the title "whitewashed"), I jumped to the conclusion that they were wanting to retell a biblical story with a black cast. Upon looking at it again, War Room is a film about a modern black family produced by the brothers who made Fireproof and Facing the Giants. The article is wrong/misleading (I watched the trailer), racially, it's a typical movie, no blacker than the previous movies made by these brothers, except the family the movie focuses on is black and not Kirk Cameron. And, blacks are well represented in Hollywood movies.

What should have been in the article:
        In the film, Tony and Elizabeth have great jobs, a beautiful daughter and their dream house. But in private, the Jordans struggle under the strain of a crumbling marriage. Tony basks in his professional success and flirts with temptation while Elizabeth resigns herself to increasing bitterness. Their lives begin to change after one of Elizabeth's real estate clients challenges her to establish a "war room" and gives her a battle plan of prayer for her family.
        not:
        Christian Moviemakers Opt for Black Cast after Glut of Whitewashed Faith Films... many to charge that Hollywood was standing in the way of racial progress. But religious audiences can witness a stark departure from this troubling trend... It does so with an almost entirely African-American cast... a black cast...“War Room” arrives at a time when racial tensions in America have intensified [thanks to our black president, and agitators like the author of that article]... [Etc. Etc. Etc.]
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap