Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Catholic Priest Encourages Parishioners to Attend Concealed Carry Classes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholic Priest Encourages Parishioners to Attend Concealed Carry Classes

A Catholic priest in Michigan recently said he’s going to continue holding concealed pistol license (CPL) classes at his church and has encouraged his parishioners to attend.

His reasoning is simple: self protection.

Father Edward Fride of Christ the King parish in Ann Arbor, Michigan, wrote his congregation a detailed letter on the necessity to provide these classes and his reasoning behind it.

From the Detroit Free Press
    “It is very common for Christians to simply assume that they live in Mayberry, trusting that because they know the Lord Jesus, everything will always be fine and nothing bad can happen to them and their families,” Fride wrote.

Fride told parishioners in the letter that Catholic teachings do not preclude carrying a gun for self-defense and to defend others. Fride then asserted that crime is up and that because of budget cuts, “there has been a significant reduction in the availability of an armed police response.”
    His decision is very well thought out and he came to the morality of his decision the right way- through prayer and contemplation. In his youth, Fride was an absolute pacifist and and a conscientious objector. But he began to struggle with the repercussions of being an absolute pacifist and the effect it would have on others if a situation arose and he didn’t intervene, knowing he should have.
    “I began to consider a set of moral scenarios, ‘what would I do if’ scenarios. I eventually concluded that I was certainly no longer a pacifist absolutist; there were situations in which I would actively intervene, even to a lethal level if necessary,” he said.

“…The ‘what would Jesus do’ is often used as a defense for pacifism, but when you read what Jesus actually does, as Revelation describes as He leads His army to destroy those attacking Israel, to say it does not go well for the bad guys would be something of an understatement.”
    Exactly.

Today, many Christians seem extremely reluctant not only to take moral stands in public, but to actually teach and take seriously the gospel they claim they were called to preach. Many pastors refuse to talk about “controversial” issues from the pulpit, and in not doing so, they’re shirking their responsibility in tending Jesus’ sheep. So it’s refreshing to see a member of the Christian pulpit encouraging and teaching his church about their moral obligation to protect themselves and their families.

Father Edward Fride of Christ the King parish in Ann Arbor Michigan is a wise and faithful shepherd of his flock.

And his congregation is very lucky to have him.

Source: Conservatives Will LOVE What a Catholic Priest is Telling People in his Church to do

This priest appears to take seriously the command Jesus gave in Luke 22:36.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Very true. We should all take an example from him and stop being pacifist. There are many instances where we Christians should take a stand but we don't.
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        This priest appears to take seriously the command Jesus gave in Luke 22:36.
        What immediately comes to mind is
        • Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
        • Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.

God bless
        William
        Comment>

I had a concealed carry license when I lived in Texas and I was an avid shooter. DC has some pretty strict gun laws so concealed carry isn't an option here. Most of my ministry takes place in the area of the city with the highest crime rates but it qould seem counter productive to pull a gun on someone who I am trying to minister to. So, I sold most of my guns and decided to trust in God for protection. So far, no problems.
          Comment>

I say Amen to being prudent in today's world. As for pulling a gun on someone you are ministering to, why would you unless threatened? Maybe you have been?
            Comment>

Nope, never been threatened, even when in the high crime rate areas. We have had nothing but favor, peace, and a lot of respect.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap