Christian news - breaking headlines from around the United States and the world. Trending hot topics in Christianity.

Raising Money on Beer and Tattoos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising Money on Beer and Tattoos

Arizona Church Raising Money for Church Plant with Beer and Tattoo Bible Conference - Christian News Headlines

I'm kind of torn about this because I don't typically think of Christians as hardcore drinkers. I mean people in the bible drank alcohol because it was safer than the water most of the time. But I guess Jesus did turn water into wine and it's for a good cause. It's really the tattoo parlor that bothers me. You're not supposed to mark up your body, Leviticus 19:28, but I have my ears pierced so I'm kind of a hypocrite. What do you think? It kind of bothers me because the event is condoning things that are kind of anti-Christian.

Well I am not one to put up a fuss about things like drinking and tattoos, so I say that if it is all for a good cause then what is the harm. If you think about the whole issue, they are going to drink and get tattoos anyway, so maybe celebrating it and benefiting from it is the way to go. It certainly is an interesting idea for a fundraiser, and you have to give them a little credit for being creative. I wonder what else they will come up with, and it should be fun to see.
    Comment>

The thing that concerns me most about this project is that it purpose is to raise funds. The Bible teaches that God's work is to be supported by the gifts of God's people. Our contacts with people outside the church should be for the purpose of evangelism and helping them, not trying to raise money from this. I agree with the thoughts expressed in the last paragraph of the article:

Charisma News senior editor Jennifer LeClaire wrote, “Call me conservative, but isn't promoting brewsky on tap for the sake of being nonreligious to attract more people to your church a prime example of being of the world rather than just in the world? (See John 15:19.) Whatever happened to separating the profane from the holy (Ezek. 22:26)? Having church or doing evangelism is one thing, but basing your church-growth strategy on beer is quite another.”
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

First off, I am guessing this church is not Baptist, as I am sure the leaderships' heads would explode if they ever caught wind of this. On the other hand, as long as you are not causing someone else to sin because of how you are doing your fundraising I see no problem with it. Although, there is the passage about treating your body like a temple, which covering it with tattoos really flies in the face of that.

Personally, I would have to pray on this if someone suggested it for our church, and I really don't know one what side of this kind of issue our session (elder board) would come down on. I guessing they may have a problem with it.
        Comment>

I think this is okay. Obviously there are things nowadays that the bible/ancient people didn't believe in, but we have to live with it and take advantage of it as well. The bible doesn't exactly say alcohol is sinful, but it does mention tattoos. I wouldn't get one myself but I don't think people shouldn't be able to get them.
          I don't think church should get money out of this but if that's the only way they found, then yeah, better than nothing.
          Comment>

I don't see anything wrong with this. I don't make a huge deal about beer and tattoos. I have plenty of tattoos on my body and I a big appreciation for beer. If they are doing the fundraiser for a good cause, then I really see nothing wrong with it. Sure, people might categorize tattoos and alcohol as sinful, but we are meant to sin. It is a part of life. We are all here to learn and create our own destinies. If our destiny involves a bit of drinking and ink, then so be it. I don't think God is going to condemn a man for putting alcohol or ink into his body.
            Comment>

There'll come a time when you can't tell the difference between a Christian and anyone else who doesn't go to church because in a bid to "modernize" the church the church is being secularized. But . . . a secularized church is not a place for Christians to be in and anyone who notices that their church is starting to veer in that direction should leave immediately.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                There'll come a time when you can't tell the difference between a Christian and anyone else who doesn't go to church because in a bid to "modernize" the church the church is being secularized. But . . . a secularized church is not a place for Christians to be in and anyone who notices that their church is starting to veer in that direction should leave immediately.
                Indeed. Any church that is looking to become "seeker friendly" is a good indication they are heading down that path.
                Comment>

I believe that Paul states to flee from the very appearance of evil, and I know we are told to take care not to offend church elders. I don't know that people who drink beer or have tattoos are necessarily the people we are to avoid, and socially, these things are not regarded as negatively as they once were. However, I believe the ultimate decider should be on God's word, the bible.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                    ^ This. We Mennonites, or at least the conservative and fundamentalist ones, take Romans 12:12 and 2 Corinthians 6:17 very seriously. I will quote said passages, respectively, here:

"And be not fashioned according to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, and ye may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

"Wherefore Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, And touch no unclean thing; And I will receive you,"
                    And there are plenty of other reasons given in the New Testament to separate ourselves from a fallen, sin-sick world and not to conform to said in any manner of life. A good overview of these concepts may be read in the books The Doctrines of the Bible by Daniel Kauffman and Maintaining Biblical Conservatism by Clifford Martin.

Frankly, part of the reason why the churches of our age are increasingly irrelevant is they are totally indistinguishable from the world.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap