Talk about your favorite sports, hobbies, or activities.

How does your garden grow?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your garden grow?

Does anyone here like growing things?

When I was younger we had quite a big garden and I grew a lot – vegetables and fruit as well as just flowers. I won some prizes in our local allotment show for redcurrants and gooseberries. I used to grow them as espaliers. I had a greenhouse and dug a pond. It wasn't long before newts moved in and soon frogs as well.

Now we live in a small terraced house. The front gardens are tiny and the back ones not much better. Many people in the road have paved over their front garden (and probably the backs as well). I think that’s a bit sad. It’s lovely to see colourful flowers and shrubs, especially at this time of year after a cold wet winter.

My back and knees won’t take much before they tell me I’ve done enough. I still grow a few strawberries and raspberries, a redcurrant (espalier again) and a black currant bush; as well as a few peas, beans and lettuces. I’m trying carrots again this year but I’ve never been successful with them.

grow tomatos and bellpepper.:D
    Comment>

Hi saintandrew4life,

I'd forgotten about tomatoes. A friend gives me some plants which he raises in a greenhouse so will be planting those out. As I live in the north of England I think it is too cold for peppers though.

So far this year the items I'm growing from seed aren't doing very well. I think it's been too cold. Or perhaps I try sowing too early. I used to live in the South and can start earlier there.
      Comment>

I hate gardening. I get all of my food from the grocery store, not from the ground. But I recently read a description of a garden that every Christian should have.

First you need to plant 5 rows of peas.

Preparedness
        Promptness
        Perseverance
        Politeness
        Prayer

Then 3 rows of squash.

Squash Gossip
        Squash Criticism
        Squash Indifference

5 rows of lettuce.

Let us be faithful
        Let us be unselfish
        Let us be loyal
        Let us be truthful
        Let us love one another

And finally 3 rows of turnips.

Turn up for church
        Turn up with a smile
        Turn up with determination
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post
          Does anyone here like growing things?

When I was younger we had quite a big garden and I grew a lot – vegetables and fruit as well as just flowers. I won some prizes in our local allotment show for redcurrants and gooseberries. I used to grow them as espaliers. I had a greenhouse and dug a pond. It wasn't long before newts moved in and soon frogs as well.

Now we live in a small terraced house. The front gardens are tiny and the back ones not much better. Many people in the road have paved over their front garden (and probably the backs as well). I think that’s a bit sad. It’s lovely to see colourful flowers and shrubs, especially at this time of year after a cold wet winter.

My back and knees won’t take much before they tell me I’ve done enough. I still grow a few strawberries and raspberries, a redcurrant (espalier again) and a black currant bush; as well as a few peas, beans and lettuces. I’m trying carrots again this year but I’ve never been successful with them.
          Hi Bede - I'm William's wife. We have only a deck as a "yard" but I do love to garden. Dreams of the future are for 2 acres, goats, rabbits and chickens, but for now I make do with Rubbermaid tubs and a cat. So I've got 3 varieties of tomatoes (2 of which are currently sporting green tomatoes), two varieties of peppers, some strawberries, lettuces and herbs. It doesn't take much time to walk around my garden and pull out a few tiny weeds and remove dead leaves from the overhanging trees. I agree about the paving over fertile ground - makes me sad too. We'll probably be seeing a lot more of that here in California because of our current drought.
          Comment>

Originally posted by saintandrew4life View Post
            grow tomatos and bellpepper.:D
            I've got those growing! The bellpeppers are doing much better than the jalapenos.
            Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
              I recently read a description of a garden that every Christian should have
              I like this! I love to garden, but agree that a garden of goodness in our hearts is much more important and lasting than a garden in the ground. If I ever return to cross stitching, your prose would make an excellent wall hanging in my kitchen.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Trysch View Post

Hi Bede - I'm William's wife. We have only a deck as a "yard" but I do love to garden. Dreams of the future are for 2 acres, goats, rabbits and chickens, but for now I make do with Rubbermaid tubs and a cat. So I've got 3 varieties of tomatoes (2 of which are currently sporting green tomatoes), two varieties of peppers, some strawberries, lettuces and herbs. It doesn't take much time to walk around my garden and pull out a few tiny weeds and remove dead leaves from the overhanging trees. I agree about the paving over fertile ground - makes me sad too. We'll probably be seeing a lot more of that here in California because of our current drought.
                Hi Trysch,

Back in the '70s I had a dream of being more self sufficient; of living in a a sort of eco village. But the reality is that with a wife and children that wasn't possible. Some people do it. We once had a holiday on a farm in Wales where the owners had worked in IT but given it all up to farm. I guess we do what we can, even if it's only with a few tubs.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap