Come share a laugh with a joke, one-liners, funny stories, and thread games.

Shoot To Win

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoot To Win

Lately most people like playing games which need players to shoot opponents for them to win. Do those games affect our Christian lives? Are Christians supposed to avoid such games? I do see my neighbour's children running after each other trying to ''shoot" to win. How do those games affect one's mind?

Hi Francis, my sister-in-law is pretty liberal, and she refused to buy my nephew any guns to play with when he was a kid (this was back in the 80's). But much to her chagrin, my nephew figured out that brooms, tennis rackets, sticks, and/or fingers, work just fine when a toy gun isn't handy, so she finally gave in and bought him the guns he wanted to play with, just like all his friends had ;) We've been shoot'n at each other for years to win one kind of game or another, and we seem to have survived it :)

If we, "bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4), with a healthy degree of respect, for one another, for fair play, for right and wrong, and for our laws (which is all taken care of nicely if the admonition in Ephesians 6:4 is obeyed), anything our kids do to play and have fun is going to be fine! In fact, these kind of games can help teach them things about right and wrong, fair play, etc. It's when some of us choose to do otherwise that trouble ensues.

There is a little more danger with the new toy "tech" we have at our disposal (like goggles are a necessity to guard our children's eyes when using Airsoft guns, and lead-based paint balls should probably be avoided :rolleyes:). But other than that, anything that gets our kids outside and moving (again, as long as no one gets hurt), seems like a good thing to me.

Yours and His,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Unfiltered, those kinds of games can be bad, but it is a huge opportunity for the parents to point out to their children that guns are used primarily for defense, and they should be actively looking to protect those who are weaker than they are. Something that would put this into perspective is to take your child to a gun range and show them what it is like to actually respect and use a firearm. Whey they are only exposed to guns via a video game they do not get a true understanding of what these things can do.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        Something that would put this into perspective is to take your child to a gun range and show them what it is like to actually respect and use a firearm. Whey they are only exposed to guns via a video game they do not get a true understanding of what these things can do.
        Hi Knotical, I think that's a great idea, and there's a long history in Switzerland of most of their families doing just that for their kids (which I believe demonstrates pretty thoroughly what an effective measure that can be :)).

I didn't know we were talk'n video game violence. I'm not sure about that or what the long term effects are. I do know a ton of boys and men who play those games who are not violent however.

Quite frankly, I think "Gangsta Rap" is a far worse influence on our kids because it glorifies the kind of thinking that destroys individuals and societies, and it encourages the kind of behavior that we lock people up for and through away the key :(

But like video games, I don't know if any studies have been done.

Yours and His,
        David

Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap