Tap the technical and computer knowledge of other experienced users. Find information on computers and technological topics.

Intel versus AMD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel versus AMD

is there anyone here who knows the difference between AMD processor from Intel? We are in the process of purchasing a new desktop. The first quotation I got this morning is an AMD computer with a tag price of 20k (in pesos) and the second offer is an Intel type of desktop for 28k. Since the price difference is not small, I am inclined to buy the AMD. However, I want to be sure that there are no issues because the operating system will be Windows 10 (more likely although no final on this one yet).

Another option we are looking at is a laptop. However, the laptop costs more than the desktop. And after a thorough evaluation, we are now decided on the desktop. Some quotations are still to come from HP and Dell computers.

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
    is there anyone here who knows the difference between AMD processor from Intel? We are in the process of purchasing a new desktop. The first quotation I got this morning is an AMD computer with a tag price of 20k (in pesos) and the second offer is an Intel type of desktop for 28k. Since the price difference is not small, I am inclined to buy the AMD. However, I want to be sure that there are no issues because the operating system will be Windows 10 (more likely although no final on this one yet).
    Intel is a company and AMD is another company. AMD processors are cheap as compared to intel because Intel has more profit margin than AMD. Some say AMD processors fail after every few years. I'm not sure but if you are looking for super high performance, you should probably go with Intel i7 processor but if you like medium performance for day to day works not for high gaming then AMD is just okay. My friend has 7 year old AMD PC and its running like a charm. What is your purpose for buying a PC? What kinda work you have to do?
    Another option we are looking at is a laptop. However, the laptop costs more than the desktop. And after a thorough evaluation, we are now decided on the desktop. Some quotations are still to come from HP and Dell computers.
    I'll personally prefer you a desktop if you have high work but don't need to move here and there. I have a 8 year old Compaq PC at my home with 512 mb ram and Windows Xp and it is going good for dad's work. He is an advocate. Please specify me your needs.
    Comment>

Originally posted by motirattan View Post
      Intel is a company and AMD is another company. AMD processors are cheap as compared to intel because Intel has more profit margin than AMD. Some say AMD processors fail after every few years. I'm not sure but if you are looking for super high performance, you should probably go with Intel i7 processor but if you like medium performance for day to day works not for high gaming then AMD is just okay. My friend has 7 year old AMD PC and its running like a charm. What is your purpose for buying a PC? What kinda work you have to do?

I'll personally prefer you a desktop if you have high work but don't need to move here and there. I have a 8 year old Compaq PC at my home with 512 mb ram and Windows Xp and it is going good for dad's work. He is an advocate. Please specify me your needs.
      Thanks very much for your opinion on the matter. Now I understand the difference. But that's what I am afraid of, the issues about failing after some years. Our home computer is used for simple software like MS Office programs and internet as well. The only heavier load of use is video editing but this is occasional only. Our old computer is turning 7 in July but it's already showing old age symptoms that's why we have decided to purchase a replacement. We are looking for a lifespan of 5 years for the new computer that we intend to buy that's why I am doing a little research. Thanks again for the information. God bless you.
      Comment>

AMD used to be a good cheap alternative to Intel when wanting to save money on a new computer, however, as motirattan pointed out their quality is not what it used to be. If you want performance you will just have to pay for it. The i series chips are good, and depending on what you are going to use the computer for will determine which chip to get.
        Comment>

Thanks very much for your opinion on the matter. Now I understand the difference. But that's what I am afraid of, the issues about failing after some years. Our home computer is used for simple software like MS Office programs and internet as well. The only heavier load of use is video editing but this is occasional only. Our old computer is turning 7 in July but it's already showing old age symptoms that's why we have decided to purchase a replacement. We are looking for a lifespan of 5 years for the new computer that we intend to buy that's why I am doing a little research. Thanks again for the information. God bless you.
          For better life span you should go with Intel. Don't go with expensive Intel processor. The specifications you need is as below:
          2 GB Ram
          1.8GHz or fast Intel i3 Processor
          Comment>

Something also to consider once you buy the other computer is if the hard drive in the old computer is still doing ok, you will want to transfer the data you have to the new computer. There are two easy ways of handling this, and you don't need much in the way of tech experience to accomplish either. One is if there is room in the new computer to install a second drive you can always just open the case and put in one of the bays available. Otherwise you can get an external enclosure for the old drive and plug it into a usb port on the new computer.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
              Something also to consider once you buy the other computer is if the hard drive in the old computer is still doing ok, you will want to transfer the data you have to the new computer. There are two easy ways of handling this, and you don't need much in the way of tech experience to accomplish either. One is if there is room in the new computer to install a second drive you can always just open the case and put in one of the bays available. Otherwise you can get an external enclosure for the old drive and plug it into a usb port on the new computer.
              Thanks very much for your advice on the transfer of files. We have a 1TB external drive that we use for archiving and that would be a conduit storage for siphoning all the contents of the 2 units of 500 GB drive inside the computer into the new computer. That's why we are intending to have a 1TB internal disk for the news.

PS. Last night, I had a serious talk with my husband regarding the planned new computer. He is again considering a laptop because he wants the old computer to stay in its location on the computer table in the living room. If we get another desktop then there would be a problem with space while a laptop doesn't need a table of its own. But then again, there are so many factors to consider so we are once again back to the drawing board. Hoping that we can have the final decision within this week.
              Comment>

AMD does better at making GPUs. So any time you are buying a PC or laptop opt for one that has a processor made by Intel. For performance, intel is the best. If it costs a little more, fork out the money because you won't be disappointed.
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap