Discuss popular authors and favorite books. Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers.

What are you reading right now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading "Acts Life Application Bible Studies." It's in NLV so it's different but its very detailed, containing maps of Pete's and Paul's travels as well as in-text character profiles. Found it free at a thrift store.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
      Hey thanks. I completely forgot about this topic. Since you brought it up, I am almost done with this.

That's quite an interesting title. What does it have to add to what we already know?
      Comment>

Originally posted by Meg View Post
        That's quite an interesting title. What does it have to add to what we already know?
        Before the Dead Sea scrolls were discovered (between 1946 and 1956) the earliest witness was the Greek text of the O.T. not the Hebrew (by the way fragments of the Greek text were also found among the Dead Sea scrolls). The oldest complete Hebrew texts are the Aleppo Codex (ca. 920) and the Leningrad Codex (1008\9).

O.T. quotes in the N.T. are almost always from the LXX not the Hebrew text. The church fathers used the LXX almost exclusively. There are two notable exceptions Origen and Jerome but even they still used the LXX.

One interesting point is that the Greek text and the Hebrew text don't always match. There are differences between the two texts.

Another important point concern the early copies of the LXX and the use of the tetragrammaton (i.e. the divine name). Here are two fragments of the LXX. In the Greek text the tetragrammaton is written in the Paleo-Hebrew script (see arrows below).

I know it does not look like much to those who do not know what they are looking at but it is important. These are Jewish copies of the LXX not Christian. The reason we know this is that the tetragrammaton is present in the text. This practice was not followed by Christians.
        Last edited by Origen; 12-30-2016, 09:16 AM.
        Comment>

I am reading Burn, a novel by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. After reading the previous posts, about books that help in our understanding of the Bible, I am almost afraid to admit that I am spending time on a book like this. :)
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
            I am reading Burn, a novel by Ted Dekker and Erin Healy. After reading the previous posts, about books that help in our understanding of the Bible, I am almost afraid to admit that I am spending time on a book like this. :)
            Don't be. Every year I read the Sherlock Holmes stories, all of them. I love them. I have read 1984 more times than I can remember. And I also read Edgar Allan Poe's works over and over again. I just don't get into anything modern. Old is better, at least to me.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
              Before the Dead Sea scrolls were discovered (between 1946 and 1956) the earliest witness was the Greek text of the O.T. not the Hebrew (by the way fragments of the Greek text were also found among the Dead Sea scrolls). The oldest complete Hebrew texts are the Aleppo Codex (ca. 920) and the Leningrad Codex (1008\9).

O.T. quotes in the N.T. are almost always from the LXX not the Hebrew text. The church fathers used the LXX almost exclusively. There are two notable exceptions Origen and Jerome but even they still used the LXX.

One interesting point is that the Greek text and the Hebrew text don't always match. There are differences between the two texts.

Another important point concern the early copies of the LXX and the use of the tetragrammaton (i.e. the divine name). Here are two fragments of the LXX. In the Greek text the tetragrammaton is written in the Paleo-Hebrew script (see arrows below).

I know it does not look like much to those who do not know what they are looking at but it is important. These are Jewish copies of the LXX not Christian. The reason we know this is that the tetragrammaton is present in the text. This practice was not followed by Christians.
              Thank you, Origen. That is just fascinating.
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                If it helps, one of my favorite books is about a pair of possibly crazy men who started a cattle ranch in British Colombia :D I just thought I might should be reading something a little more serious about now.
                Last edited by Meg; 12-30-2016, 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
                Comment>

I just finished reading Mockingjay, the last in the Hunger Games series. A little too gory, but the setting was a war. Bleak too.
                  Comment>

Right now I am reading 2 books, "Stupor Mundi: The Life and Times of Frederick II, Emperor of the Romans, King of Sicily and Jerusalem", by Lionel Allshorn, and "The Book of Concord, the Lutheran Confessions of Faith". The first is research for a book I am writing. The second is for personal spiritual enlightenment.
                    Comment>

I've just started The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I'm not sure where it is going yet.
                      Comment>

Why I Believe by D. James Kenedy. It's solid apolagitics for literal Bible believing Christians.
                        And I've been reading in the book of Romans.
                        Comment>

Recently read:

Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap