Discuss popular authors and favorite books. Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers.

Top Three Favorite Christian Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Three Favorite Christian Books

Let's say a friend came to you and said "I've just become a Christian and I'd like to read some good Christian books". Which three books would you recommend to them and why? Excluding the obvious answer of the Bible, of course.

I think I'd choose the three that really impacted my work early on, which were these:
    1- "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan.
    2- "Radical" by David Platt
    3- "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life" by Donald S. Whitney.

I'm also going to cheat and add a fourth book called "Growing Up" by Robby Gallaty. This was a book my mentor went through with me about a year ago and, honestly, it was a great lesson for me in how to train others in discipleship, but I also noticed that new Christians learned a lot from it as well. I love using it as a tool to teach new believers about the importance of discipleship. I consider this one cheating since it's a book I prefer to go through with someone as opposed to just recommending they read on their own.

What about you? What three would you recommend and why?

My recommendations are mainly for newly converted Christians or the Christian curious:
    1. "More than a Carpenter" by Josh and Sean Mcdowell
    2. "Apologetics Bible Understand Why You Believe" by Holman Bible Staff
    3. "Reformed Study Bible" by Ligioner Ministries

I recommended two apologetic books because they generally deal with presuppositions and objections people have before even opening the cover to the Bible. I'll even recommend a 4th book, Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem or Louis Berkhof. Berkhof's book can be downloaded here for free: Systematic Theology
    Comment>
    Working...
    X
    Articles - News - SiteMap