Perfectionism is a doctrine holding that religious, moral, social, or political perfection is attainable, especially the theory that human moral or spiritual perfection should be or has been attained.

Perfectionism is the reason why I struggled with my faith

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfectionism is the reason why I struggled with my faith

I do admit I struggled with my faith because of the way my parents raised me due to all the strict rules they have. It gave me this fear that I will burn in hell because I am not perfect enough. I mean there are things I can't give up just to be perfect. I mean there are times I missed going to church because of my job's schedule or I got sick. Growing up I do admit of lying because it saved me from a lot of trouble. I do have a lot of imperfections as a Christian and that gave me a lot of sleepless nights because I always have this fear that I will burn in hell. I mean perfectionist Christians basically want me to give up everything like my career, passions, hopes and dreams just to be this perfect Christian. No matter how hard I tried, I realized I will never be perfect. I will always sin no matter what.

Thanks for sharing that.
    That must have been an extremely heavy burden to bear for so many years. I too went through something like. It was like drinking spiritual toxin.
    Comment>

I share your sentiments Sparky. To this day, I sometimes begin to lean on my own understanding and performance rather than trusting in the Lord. The Lord's atonement and propitiation are greater than any of our sins. Sometimes I have to really repeat that to myself when I seriously mess up.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

I'm glad to hear that you have become in peace with the fact that you will sin and that you are not perfect, none is, and no can nor will they ever succeed in such matter. I hope you learn from your parent's mistakes and raise your children in a different way.
        Comment>

You must give up worldly hopes and dreams to be a Christian. To have a stake in this world is to serve two masters, and the servant of two masters is a servant of neither. It is important to know that to "be perfect" and to be a "perfect Christian" cannot at all be synonymous, for a Christian is one who follows Christ, and if one were perfect he would be Christ's equal, and one cannot follow another of equal worth; otherwise we might as well just follow each other. It is not true that one will always sin, for in John 8:11 Jesus tells the woman "Go, and sin no more."
          Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post
            You must give up worldly hopes and dreams to be a Christian. To have a stake in this world is to serve two masters, and the servant of two masters is a servant of neither. It is important to know that to "be perfect" and to be a "perfect Christian" cannot at all be synonymous, for a Christian is one who follows Christ, and if one were perfect he would be Christ's equal, and one cannot follow another of equal worth; otherwise we might as well just follow each other. It is not true that one will always sin, for in John 8:11 Jesus tells the woman "Go, and sin no more."

So are you without sin?
            Comment>

Originally posted by Trist
              Hey Trist👋. What do you believe Jesus meant by "sin" in this passage?
              Comment>

Originally posted by BubbaJack View Post

So are you without sin?
                I sin, and would likely not make heaven at this point, but even if I were perfect, to say that I am is a sin and then I would not be. Job 9:20-23 KJV

If I keep my legs straight on the narrow path it may come to pass that I be like Job who was described as such: Job 1:1 KJV
                Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post
                  I sin, and would likely not make heaven at this point...
                  Hi Trist, why do you believe that you, "would likely not make heaven at this point"? What do you have to do to be worthy of making heaven?

Thanks!

In Christ,
                  David

"God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son,
                  that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish,
                  but have everlasting life"

John 3:16
                  Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                  Comment>

David Lee

Revelation 21:5-8 KJV has shown me that I will not inherit the kingdom from where I am at. The fact that these verses distinguish unbelievers from the rest show that even one who believes can fall under the other categories; mine being fear and very infrequently, lying.

My fear is shame, and the shame from me not loving thy neighbor by not telling them the truth of Christ Jesus due to egocentric drives to preserve myself from their verbal onslaught that would likely follow. Every time I do not reproof another man with the word of God, I am choosing to protect my own emotional states from hatred that may spew from his mouth, and by doing this I am holding a few minutes of potentially unpleasant conversation above both his and my eternal salvation; how disgusting!

My infrequent lying comes from the snare of good intentions. Matthew 21:28-31 KJV in which Christ Jesus admonished those pharisees who knew much of scripture that those who say "I will do the will of the Father" and do not do it are far worse than those who say "I will not do it," for those who say "No" are closer to understanding their position in regards to the will of God. By being fearful, I am also a liar, because I do not the will of the Father, many times under the guise of good intentions. I have said before, and I will quote this old idiom again for it is true, "The road to hell is paved in good intentions."

Lastly, I will not make heaven in this state because it has come to my attention that I lack proper baptism. It is a holy covenant that I lack. (Matthew 21:23-27 KJV) I was dunked in water when I was 11 years old, having known nothing of suffering or that the New Testament was an instruction manual for those who wished to be sacrificed. My knowledge of Christianity then would have been best described as jolly mythology. I will be baptized as soon as I find out who is allowed to do so, and so far I have found little on required authority for one to baptize another.

Your quote is true, and all biblical instructions that are true must be brought together to form truth, as we are admonished that belief alone is of no value, for devils believe. James 2:19 KJV
                    Comment>

Hi Trist, I agree that the various teachings in the Bible must be "brought together to form truth", so how do you reconcile the clear, didactic teaching that salvation is by grace through faith, APART from works, with the works righteousness beliefs that you've just expressed in your post above?

Thanks! (I want to talk to you about James 2 and about baptism, but if you don't mind, let's look at this first)

--David
                      p.s. - along with John 3:16, here are some additional verses to consider. I'm not trying to set up a "who has the better verses" scenario, rather, I'm only interested in how you reconcile a doctrine of works righteousness with verses like the ones you see below.

John 3
                      18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 5
                      24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, HAS eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 20
                      31 these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that by believing you may have life in His name.

Romans 3
                      28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Romans 4
                      5 To the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness.

Romans 10
                      9 If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;
                      10 for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Ephesians 2
                      8 By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
                      9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
                      10 For we are His masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Titus 3
                      5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit.

*It seems to me that our works are the result/fruit of being saved, not the cause.

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                      Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee
                        Hi Trist]

*It seems to me that our works are the result/fruit of being saved, not the cause.
                        👍✔👏👌✝
                        Comment>

People should try to observe his commandments for love of God, but that is not what will get them into heaven. Were perfectionism possible, there would have been no need for Christ's sacrifice.

If God can forgive you, when repentance is genuine, you ought to be able to forgive yourself
                          Comment>

David Lee

Place holder post that I'll edit for a reply I'll try to make tomorrow; just notifying you that I've taken time to read your post and you aren't being ignored. Been busy cleaning up my mother's backyard as a surprise for her. I'll edit this post and turn it into a reply tomorrow (today) after I get back from work.
                            Comment>

Thanks Trist, I appreciate the heads up!!

I'll be here (Dv), so no worries. It sounds like you're doing a wonderful thing for your mom, so be sure to get that done first.

That's one of the nice things about being a Christian with eternal life, isn't it, we've got time :)

In Christ,
                              David

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap