What are we doing when we gather corporately and sing our praise to God? What is our intent? What is it that we believe we are achieving?

Giving Praise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving Praise

Worship doesn't necessarily have to be in the form of formal gatherings such as at church. We can praise God any time, through a quick prayer of thanks or through many other methods. I like to sing too. We don't have to only sing hymns in church. We can sing in the car, the shower, walking down the street... I don't think it matters as long as we praise Him.

While songs of praise are meant to show our love and appreciation to God, I have to say, they make me feel good too.

I totally agree with what you wrote about praise and worship, thisnthat. That is always my favorite part of the service, when we are all singing hymns or choruses, and just enjoying the warm embrace of the Holy Spirit.
    singing at home or when I am driving is something that I often do to, especially when I am alone, and can just sing and praise the Lord and not worry about bothering someone else.
    When I had my Omnichord (kind of an electronic autoharp), I used to play at the home worship meetings that we had in the church that I went to at that time. Another member was a great guitar player, and we would practice the songs ahead of the service and then provide the musical accompniment whe we sang together as a group before the prayer and Bible study we had each week.
    Comment>

hello i am alone then pray for me
      Comment>

Originally posted by infinitelove1 View Post
        Hello. Welcome to the forum. I will pray for you and I would like to know more about you.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

Originally posted by infinitelove1 View Post
          I certainly will. Welcome to the forum. I will be happy to pray for you. Is there anything in particular that you would like prayer for, or just in general?

It is hard to be alone, but you don't have to be alone when you have God. You can also talk here if you need people to talk to.

God bless.
          Comment>

There is this ongoing controversy surrounding whether or not it's proper to seek to worship outside of a formal church setting. Some people believe where a few are gathered that worship is acceptable, therefore, it may not be absolutely possible to attend a church. However, there are some who believe that one will have to attend a church for this form of worship to be legitimate. It could well be that either way, they may not be wrong in what they are doing so there should not be a controversy over their difference in approach.
            Comment>

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
              There is this ongoing controversy surrounding whether or not it's proper to seek to worship outside of a formal church setting. Some people believe where a few are gathered that worship is acceptable, therefore, it may not be absolutely possible to attend a church.
              Matthew 18:20 suggests Jesus was one of them:
              Originally posted by King James Bible
              For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
              It is more important that you worship and that God knows you are faithful, than what society deems is 'proper'. Most of the true Christians and churchmen I have known have regarded it as more important that a person has God in their life and follow Jesus' teachings. The people who are concerned about "proper" worship and reject or chastise others for not doing things "properly" tend to be the ones who go for appearance's sake, or are far too focused on this world and not the next. (Gossipy chuirch biddies are a staple of comedy for a reason, and they've been rebuked as far back as the Bible - Timothy)

Comment>

Wherever Paul preached the gospel he established churches. Most of his letters were written to churches. The book of Revelation begins with God instructing John to write letters to seven churches. There is nothing wrong with believers meeting together outside of a church but these meetings should be in addition to involvement in churches, not a substitute for it.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>

Originally posted by explorerx7 View Post
                  There is this ongoing controversy surrounding whether or not it's proper to seek to worship outside of a formal church setting. Some people believe where a few are gathered that worship is acceptable, therefore, it may not be absolutely possible to attend a church. However, there are some who believe that one will have to attend a church for this form of worship to be legitimate. It could well be that either way, they may not be wrong in what they are doing so there should not be a controversy over their difference in approach.
                  I'm confused by this. Could you elaborate on why this would be an issue?

I get the part about where 2 or more are gathered, He's there with them, but I didn't know there was a controversy over worshiping outside of church. I don't see how that works. Somehow, I don't think God would be against his followers praising Him, even when they're on their own. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I just don't get it.

I've seen a lot of verses about singing to the Lord, and I don't recall them saying anything about having to be in church to do it. In fact, some of them say "all the earth" should sing to God. It seems to me that it's meant to be an open expression more than a ritual.

Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap