The Christian life is a personal intimate relationship between you and Christ. This life begins in faith (Ephesians 2:8-9) and can only be lived by faith.

Healing Hands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healing Hands?

I've been to a couple churches where the pastor and followers believe they have the power to heal anything through their hands, with the power of God of course. They loudly proclaimed that God has healed cancer and other chronic diseases. I can't help but not believe them. Whenever they try to touch me to 'give' me God's world, I feel my skin crawl. I don't know what it is, but I never feel anything but uncomfortable when they act like this. Do you have experience with churches that believe they have healing hands and talk in tongues? Or do you think it's just a show? Am I just to jaded to feel God or is it a scam? I don't know anymore.

You are not alone in your feelings about such churches. A lot of it is show to build up emotion, and it takes a strong-minded person to think beyond the emotion and realize just how creepy some of that stuff really is. It's like snake charmers who brag that they let their two year old toddlers handle rattle snakes and such... you just don't want to mess with some of that dangerous nonsense. I was working as a vendor in an outdoor marketplace last summer and this lady who apparently is into witchcraft came up to several of us vendors and "read" our spirit guides. She walked behind each of us in a row and told each person who their spirit guide was... until she got to me, that is. Now this woman didn't know me from Eve, but she couldn't see my spirit guide and she just skipped right over me and went on to the others. I was relieved and felt blessed that the Lord was with me that day, making it impossible for the demonic spirits to get near me.

My suggestion for you is that you avoid places where you feel uncomfortable, even if you have friends who invite you. Just politely refuse and go to the churches where you do feel right. You are not too jaded to feel God's presence. If He is there in the room, you'll feel Him. So, if you're in a church where you really don't feel the presence of God... be grateful for two feet to run, not walk, out the door and never look back.
    Comment>

You will probably appreciate that kind of church if you're battling cancer or some other serious diseases and you simply want to surrender everything to God's power. Some will label them as feel good churches or feel good pastors, but for many sick people, they provide the comfort they need at a time when they're fighting something that is bigger than themselves. I actually don't mind if a church goes through all these emotion-tugging activities like prayer-healing, because these are usually done outside of the regular service and only for people who want to participate in them. Jesus himself allowed healers and preachers who are not part of his group of disciples but who nevertheless claim to work in God's name, telling his apostles that 'they who are not against us are for us'. I am happy to see Christianity spread, though in many forms.
      Comment>

I have also been to a church like that where the pastor and some other church people were going around the whole congregation praying for them and laying hands on them. There was another part of the service where everyone was praying at the same time in loud voices and some were speaking in tongues. It was really creepy. I was with a couple of friends of mine and when I tried to listen to what they were saying, I realized that they kept repeating the same words over and over again. It just sounded like they made up a couple of nonsense words that they then repeated over and over. It was all I could do not to burst out laughing. I'm sorry but it was extremely comical. I know they truly believe that these things work and who am I to take that away from them?
        Comment>

Well I would not say that you are too jaded, because I would just not use that term with anything related to someone's faith. I feel the same as you, and I am surprised to see people who do not see this way. You can tell me that it is a matter of faith, and that is fine, but it is just not something that I would ever be able to subscribe to. I would be curious to read more into it if there are credible sources and things like that, but they often conveniently do not have any.
          Comment>

As Jesus said in Matthew 24:4-5: “Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many”. Many of these pastors take advantage of the earnest and heartfelt belief of the parishioners and I am sure that a few pastors actually convince themselves that they have the power themselves. There are miracles that occur even in this day and age and we just have to open ourselves to recognize and celebrate them when they occur.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
              She walked behind each of us in a row and told each person who their spirit guide was... until she got to me, that is. Now this woman didn't know me from Eve, but she couldn't see my spirit guide and she just skipped right over me and went on to the others.
              Since you are a Christian you were probably the only one who did have a spirit guide - the Holy Spirit.
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

I have been to a few Pentecostal churches and some I've found follow the word of God and some I found utter chaos. In some I've found them saying if you don't speak in tongues you're not saved, in some they say only some speak in tongues. In some they hop around dancing like mad men without a message to be preached, in some I would almost think I was in a Baptist church. In some I've met charletons who make claims that are totally false and in some I've met people who are following God's path. I've yet to go into two different Pentecostal churches that are the same and generally avoid them nowadays.

There are a lot of false healers, so much that I can not say for certain or not if there are real people with the gift of healing around. I do know that the Baptist church I was going to prayed for my dad's cataracts to go away, and they did. No laying on hands involved. The funny thing is my dad wasn't convinced it was a miracle, "sometimes cataracts just go away on their own".

I once met a woman in a wheel chair who went to a so called faith healer, but they wouldn't let her go up to the stage to be healed.

Do miracles happen? Yes. Can people heal others today by laying on hands? I've yet to find someone who actually does. Can people have God heal others by praying for them? I've seen it happen with my father and have heard countless anecdotes where a congregation will pray for someone to be healed and they are healed.

I say put your faith in God, not some self proclaimed faith healer.
                Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                  Since you are a Christian you were probably the only one who did have a spirit guide - the Holy Spirit.
                  Oh, you are awesome! I didn't even think of that. I was the only one there who had the REAL Spirit Guide! False spirits are everywhere and that whole mess just creeps me out when people start talking about their 'guides' and 'angels' when the reality for those people is often much darker than they realize. Sure, demonic spirits can make things seem wonderful, at least for a while, but when you start giving them all the credit for the good things happening in your life, that's exactly what they want. They don't want us to give the credit to God, where it belongs.
                  Comment>
                  Working...
                  X
                  Articles - News - SiteMap