There is something healthy about returning to one’s roots. When it comes to evangelical Christianity, its roots are found in the soil of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation.

Does God Hate the Sin but Love the Sinner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does God Hate the Sin but Love the Sinner?

Partly "God is luv - and nothing else," was a reaction to the hell fire preachers of yesteryear (God is wrath - and nothing else). But increasingly, it is an attempt to pretend that unpleasant doctrines like eternal punishment are not to be found in the Bible, and to turn God into an avuncular Santa Claus like figure.

That might be nice, if it was true, but it is totally without biblical foundation. Which is why we hear words like "bibliolatry" being thrown around. If the Bible can be sidelined, it is much easier to sideline things like hell.
    Comment>

As I was listing to the video -- the verse John 3:16 came to mind "For God so Loved the world, that He Gave......" He Does love us -- but can't / doesn't over-look our sin.

No one wants to acknowledge that people Will end up in hell for ever -- and that a loving God Won't send anyone there. He Does know who will or will Not accept His gift of salvation. Our rejection of Him Does send us to that awful place..

You're right. It's easier to sideline things like hell.
      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
        No. He hates a number of PEOPLE in the Bible.
        Comment>

Agreeing with Sue here, God will not overlook our sins. If that was possible, He should be considered nothing short of a monster for sending His One and Only Son to die that horrible death on the Cross (if it was not absolutely necessary for Him to do so to save us). Those who remain outside of Christ, who continue on as "enemies" of the Almighty throughout their lives, will not be saved from His wrath (and they need to know that).

Romans 5
          8 God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
          9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
          10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
          I also agree with RC and John that telling those outside of Christ that He loves them unconditionally is a mistake. The unvarnished "bad" news needs to be delivered to those who do not know the Lord, so the discussion of Hell must never be "sidelined".

In Christ
          David
          p.s. - of course, these words of A. W. Pink should always be considered as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	quote-the-nature-of-christ-s-salvation-is-woefully-misrepresented-by-the-present-day-evangelist-arthur-w-pink-60-30-26.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	40432
          Last edited by David Lee; 06-11-2017, 04:33 PM.
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

God love his creature but hates the act when we make a sin. We should do the same. We should hate the human being but we should hate doing the bad things. Humanity is the base of every religion and we should consider it first. We can encourage a person to leave the bad habits and acts rather than having hate for him in our heart.
            Comment>

You're right -- we are Not to 'hate' anyone. Yes, encourage good healthy habits in place of the bad habits.
              Comment>

There are several things which come to mind in relation to this question:

1. The Bible says regarding Christ that "thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity" (Heb 1:9). So it is clear that God hates sin.

2. The Bible also says that "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son..." (John 3:16). So it is clear that God loves the world of humanity. And since all human beings are sinners, it follows that God loves all sinners. Thus we read in Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,.. The word "man" indicates "mankind", which encompasses humanity.

3. The Bible also says that "God is love" (1 John 4:8). Which means that it is in the very nature of God to love. Thus we read (1 John 3:16): Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

4. None of these truths cancel out the truth about Hell -- the Lake of Fire. What they tell us is that because God will have none to perish in Hell (which is not annihilation but eternal torment), but all to come to repentance, He has provide a way for all to come to Him through Christ. Those who refuse to believe the Gospel and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ will be damned (Mark 16:15,16).
                Comment>

Originally posted by jahanzeb ali qureshi View Post
                  God love his creature but hates the act when we make a sin.
                  Sorry, that is not Biblical.
                  • Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"
                  • Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."
                  • Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, andtherefore I have abhorred them."
                  • Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."
                  • Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

Romans 9:13 "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."

Comment>

I have read through this thread and it's wonderful to be able to see everyone's different perspectives in relation to the question of whether God loves the sinner and hates the sin. Personally, I don't know the answer, but I do think that as a parent myself, I can totally understand how I might hate something that my child did, and yet in all of that still feel total love for them so I would guess that God does hate the sin but love the sinner.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Sheilah View Post
                      I have read through this thread and it's wonderful to be able to see everyone's different perspectives in relation to the question of whether God loves the sinner and hates the sin. Personally, I don't know the answer, but I do think that as a parent myself, I can totally understand how I might hate something that my child did, and yet in all of that still feel total love for them so I would guess that God does hate the sin but love the sinner.
                      John 3:16 "For God so loved the world (everyone in it) that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him, will not perish but have ever lasting life". That includes you and me.

A parent doesn't stop loving their child - - the child might disappoint us -- as you've commented but we don't stop loving them.

Sometimes a person is So openly rebellious about life that they are hard To like / love. We wonder how a person gets that way. Sometimes there are No Easy answers. God Does love us -- and He Does discipline us.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Sheilah View Post
                        Though mankind is made in the image of God, not all are God's children. The Bible is clear that all people are God’s creation (Colossians 1:16), and that God loves the world (John 3:16), but only those who are born again are children of God (John 1:12; 11:52; Romans 8:16; 1 John 3:1-10).

In Scripture, the lost are never referred to as God’s children. Romans 9:8 says that “it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.”

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Good point -- the only person who is a child of God is the born-again believer. As a parent -- I love my kids -- but there are lots of kids in my neighborhood or town that are not My kids. I still love kids.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
                            Good point -- the only person who is a child of God is the born-again believer. As a parent -- I love my kids -- but there are lots of kids in my neighborhood or town that are not My kids. I still love kids.
                            I agree with your point. God loves its creature whether they are obedient or not. God hates the sin but not the person who do this. For this reason a person could suffer from pain after doing it as it is to make him understand that he did something wrong.
                            Comment>

The person who makes a thing, he obiviously loves it. So how it is possible that God could hate his creation. God does not want us to do the sin that's why we often feel guilty or pain after doing a sin. We should also hate the sin but not the sinner as we can change his thinking with love.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap