There is something healthy about returning to one’s roots. When it comes to evangelical Christianity, its roots are found in the soil of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation.

Martin Luther: "The Jews and Their Lies"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Luther: "The Jews and Their Lies"

I had admired this great man of the Christian faith. In my long-standing walk with the fundamental beliefs in the last ten years out of 35 years of conversion to Christ, I had known the Christian tradition and practice in the best I knew how in what we were taught: Replacement Theology, for instance.

Being within the tutelage of the fundamental Independent Baptist teachings, I realized that the Jesus I was following and loved became such an interesting study, that I've begun to reason within my heart and spirit. Don't get wrong. I have not become 'heathen' as an IB pastor would brand me, 'rebellious'.

As I grow older, I searched with Philip Yancy's revealing book, "The Jesus I Never Knew". He helped me name and logically address (no guilt feelings) my longing about knowing more whom I was following, have entrusted my life to, and whom I asked to save me. Who is He—this Jesus? Why am I using the words in my vocabulary, “Be holy for I am holy” so often that I have become redundant and tiring to my younger listeners?

Thankfully, my journey ventured deeper farther back in history: past the 16th century medieval era. Past the Reformation time of Martin Luther or John Calvin. Even past the Apostolic fathers-- Ignatius and Polycarp. Past Iraneus and Clement, Augustine, Tertullian. I’ve had an encyclopaedia of all of these people. They all had in common with their protege, Martin Luther.

I simply found home in the farthest back to the Father and King of all Creation: The one true God, Yahweh of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The Hebraic roots and foundation of the Christian faith. Besides, ‘Jesus’ was called by his Jewish mother, Yeshua.

Martin Luther: “The Jews and their Lies” was my first exposed revelation into my journey of faith. I've traced back into the Hebraic roots. It’s mind-boggling and a shock to me that one of the founding fathers, German Martin Luther of the Christian faith spoke in such a way he authored his book.

He, Luther, targeted the Jewish family line of the House of King David of the Jewish Messiah, called , Yeshua, in Greek Iesus, and English, Jesus the Messiah, Christ.

Martin Luther - "The Jews & Their Lies"

Last edited by PsalmOneCares; 03-13-2017, 08:58 AM.

Martin Luther said some horrible things towards the Jews out of his frustration. When his efforts at conversion failed, he grew increasingly bitter toward them.

On the topic of Replacement Theology, there's a difference between Covenant and Replacement Theology.

If anyone wants to understand the Covenant perspective of Israel:

The true Israel of the Old Testament became the nucleus of the true church on the day of Pentecost. Here the analogy of the olive tree that Paul uses in Romans 11 is instructive. The tree represents the covenant people of God—Israel. Paul compares unbelieving Israel to branches that have been broken off from the olive tree (v. 17a). Believing Gentiles are compared to branches from a wild olive tree that have been grafted in to the cultivated olive tree (vv. 17b–19). The important point to notice is that God does not cut the old tree down and plant a new one (replacement theology). Neither does God plant a second new tree alongside the old tree and then graft branches from the old tree into the new tree (traditional dispensationalism). Instead, the same tree exists across the divide between Old and New Testaments. That which remains after the dead branches are removed is the true Israel. Gentile believers are now grafted into this already existing old tree (true Israel/the true church). There is only one good olive tree, and the same olive tree exists across the covenantal divide.
    1. The Church and Israel in the New Testament -Christforums
    2. Engrafted, Not Replaced -Christforums

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Thank you, William. I guess that temper and hatred of the Jews had a devastating effect and influence over a powerful man, Adolf Hitler. Luther had laid the foundation for Hitler's holocaust.

*Olsen, Daphne M., "Luther and Hitler: A Linear Connection between Martin Luther and Adolf Hitler’s Anti-Semitism with a Nationalistic Foundation" (2012). Master of Liberal Studies Theses. 20.
      "Luther and Hitler: A Linear Connection between Martin Luther and Adolf" by Daphne M. Olsen *

The Consequences of Misunderstanding Hebrews 8
      “Then the LORD your G-d will bring you to the land which your fathers possessed, and you shall possess it. He will prosper you and multiply you more than your fathers. And the LORD your G-d will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the LORD your G-d with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live. Also the LORD your G-d will put all these curses on your enemies and on those who hate you, who persecuted you. And you will again obey the voice of HaShem and do all His commandments which I command you today."
      Deuteronomy 30:5-8

"Replacement Theology" There are many problems with this line of thinking, not the least lest of which that Hebrews (8 ) is teaching.
      If I were to study Scripture, like the Bereans, I'd study and learn it diligently through the Hebraic lens.

Bereans Online

Thank you for the sharing of your thoughts.
      Comment>

Originally posted by PsalmOneCares View Post
        Luther had laid the foundation for Hitler's holocaust.
        Personally, I think it a stretch to actually suggest that Luther's frustration can be equated to the ground work for Hitler. Luther became very upset upon learning that Jews were beginning to attempt to convert Christians. Luther used brutal speech not only towards Jewish people but also Catholics. Often people forget that men were men back in those days, and Luther responded in such fashion, often provoked by opposition using the same language. Most often when Luther is quoted people only hear the one side of things and see it through today's millennial lens. There is no excuse for such hateful speech, but I think we have to take what he says in historical context. Any more though and I'd be largely speaking above my knowledge of the book in question, because I have only read clips of it on occasion.

Back to Hitler, if I remember right, Hitler considered Christians a major threat to his power. And murdered or muted them from preaching a counter message from Scripture. Scripture of course was replaced by his own Bible. A couple of things important to point out is Hitler was anti-Catholic, and only used Christianity to aide him in his rise to power. Many people attempt to argue or claim that Hitler was Christian. I do not know if he ever took upon himself such a label but his actions of course were contrary to such claim. Hitler rewrote the Bible, and replaced God and His chosen people with his own version. Hitler no doubt committed Blasphemy and Idolatry. That's far beyond what anyone could ever infer from Luther's anger and frustration:

In 1941, the Institute was involved in producing Germans with God: a German Catechism.5 “It omitted traditional doctrinal positions regarding miracles, virgin birth, incarnation, resurrection, and so forth, in favor of positioning Jesus as a human being who struggled on behalf of God and died not only as a martyr, but also a ‘victor’ on the cross, despite being a victim of the Jews” (pp. 126–27).

It (not the ‘Nazi Bible’, as has been reported) contained 12 revised Commandments in place of the OT ten:
        1. Honor God and believe in him wholeheartedly.
        2. Seek out the peace of God.
        3. Avoid all hypocrisy.
        4. Holy is your health and life.
        5. Holy is your well-being and honor.
        6. Holy is your truth and fidelity.
        7. Honor your father and mother—your children are your aid and your example.
        8. Keep the blood pure and the marriage holy.
        9. Maintain and multiply the heritage of your forefathers.
        10. Be ready to help and forgive.
        11. Honor your Führer and master.
        12. Joyously serve the people with work and sacrifice.

The Institute’s perverse attempt to marry Christianity to Nazism was not reciprocated by the Nazis.

Perhaps divine prohibitions of murder, theft, and covetousness were deemed inappropriate for a ‘survival-of-the-fittest’ ideology that was instrumental in the then ongoing pillage of Europe. Source: Hitler Bible - creation.com
        God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I do not think we can lay Hitler's weltanschauung primally at Luther's feel. There were a number philosophies and events which lead to his views, some no doubt personal. Like so many others before and after him, Hitler's cherry picked from the teachings of many influences. For example Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Immanuel Kant, Ernst Haeckel, Johann Gottlieb Fichte, and Arthur Schopenhauer etc.
          Last edited by Origen; 03-14-2017, 12:41 PM.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
            I do not think we can lay Hitler's weltanschauung primally at Luther's feel. There were a number philosophies and events which lead to his views, some no doubt personal. Like so many others before and after him, Hitler's cherry picked from the teachings of many influences. For example Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, Immanuel Kant, Ernst Haeckel, Johann Gottlieb Fichte, and Arthur Schopenhauer etc.
            If you read the excerpt of Martin Luther's book (1500s), "The Jews and their Lies", you'd almost choke in tears at his anti-semitism and hatred of our physical Jewish brothers and sisters.
            Comment>

If you read the excerpt of Martin Luther's book (1500s), "The Jews and their Lies", you'd almost choke in tears at his anti-semitism and hatred of our physical Jewish brothers and sisters.
              Without being insensitive, how are unbelieving Jews my brothers and sisters? I'm curious about your own personal thoughts. What does true Israel have to do with some geographical lines drawn in the sand by the U.N.?

Is there a difference between an unbelieving Jew that converts others to another religion and an infidel?

And just to emphasize the point, I am not defending Luther.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Without being insensitive, how are unbelieving Jews my brothers and sisters? I'm curious about your own personal thoughts. What does true Israel have to do with some geographical lines drawn in the sand by the U.N.?

Is there a difference between an unbelieving Jew that converts others to another religion and an infidel?

And just to emphasize the point, I am not defending Luther.

God bless,
                William
                Just like any 'unbelieving of Yahweh (God)' Jew, there are unbelieving-God non-Jews. Unless, we Gentiles and Jews, come to faith in the Jewish Messiah (Gr.-Latin Iesus, Jesus) who has come to bless the earth. The LORD Adonai said, "Through you Abraham, I will bless all the families of the earth."

I think you can answer your own question with Jewish Jesus' words our Jewish brother Matthew's account of the Good News (Gospel): "For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matthew 12:50.

About an "unbelieving Jew that converts others to another religion and an infidel." -- God commanded Israel, "Hear, Israel: The LORD God, the LORD is One. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. Let these words that I'm commanding you today be always in your heart." So, in the Hebraic perspective, Almighty God is only ONE. God-believing-God-fearing Jew would never disobey His command and statute by "converting" anyone to "other gods before Me"

"Infidel" is a term only used by Islam and radicalized Muslim religion. The extremists behead or annihilate infidels outside of their religion.

Big difference.

God bless,
                Sister in Messiah (Christ)
                Comment>

G'morning PsalmOneCares,

Just like any 'unbelieving of Yahweh (God)' Jew, there are unbelieving-God non-Jews.
                  I am referring to those that reject the Triune God as unbelievers.

About an "unbelieving Jew that converts others to another religion and an infidel." -- God commanded Israel, "Hear, Israel: The LORD God, the LORD is One. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength. Let these words that I'm commanding you today be always in your heart." So, in the Hebraic perspective, Almighty God is only ONE. God-believing-God-fearing Jew would never disobey His command and statute by "converting" anyone to "other gods before Me"
                  I see it all the time. People reject the Trinity. Group A , for example, acknowledges the Father, yet rejects the Son, and may or may not the Holy Spirit.

Exactly how are you defining Jew? My response was to a purely physical descent.
                  • Galatians 3:28-29 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

From a Trinitrarian perspective, rejecting the Trinity is rejecting God. Like Abraham, the faithful saints looked towards Jesus' day and rejoiced.
                  • John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.”
                  • 1 John 2:23 For those who reject the Son reject also the Father; those who accept the Son have the Father also.

"Infidel" is a term only used by Islam and radicalized Muslim religion. The extremists behead or annihilate infidels outside of their religion.
                  The rejection of the Trinity doctrine has led to comparisons between nontrinitarian theology Judaism and Islam.

God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

Just like any 'unbelieving of Yahweh (God)' Jew, there are unbelieving-God non-Jews. Unless, we Gentiles and Jews, come to faith in the Jewish Messiah (Gr.-Latin Iesus, Jesus) who has come to bless the earth. The LORD Adonai said, "Through you Abraham, I will bless all the families of the earth."
                    And God did through Christ Jesus, however, one's relationship with the Father is defined by the relationship they have with Christ.

Originally posted by PsalmOneCares;n34363I think you can answer your own question with Jewish [I
                    Jesus[/I]' words our Jewish brother Matthew's account of the Good News (Gospel): "For whoever does the will of my Father who is in heaven, he is my brother, and sister, and mother." Matthew 12:50.
                    And is not the will of the Father for the Jews accept Christ Jesus?
                    Comment>

What does true Israel have to do with some geographical lines drawn in the sand by the U.N.?
                      If you read Romans 9-11 you will find that Israel has temporarily been set aside because they rejected their Messiah and at the present time the Church is the true Israel but God is planning to restore Israel to its former position.

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,

“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
                      he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
                      “and this will be my covenant with them
                      when I take away their sins.”
                      Romans 11:25-27 ESV

The establishment of the nation of Israel is a sign that the time for this to happen is near.
                      Clyde Herrin's Blog
                      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                        If you read Romans 9-11 you will find that Israel has temporarily been set aside because they rejected their Messiah and at the present time the Church is the true Israel but God is planning to restore Israel to its former position.

Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers: a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,

“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
                        he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
                        “and this will be my covenant with them
                        when I take away their sins.”
                        Romans 11:25-27 ESV
                        In Romans 11:26, "All Israel" can mean "all (spiritual Israel)", that is, all elect persons, both Jew and Gentile. Alternatively, it may mean "all" Israel in the sense of a remnant of "all Jews destined to be saved throughout history".

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                        The establishment of the nation of Israel is a sign that the time for this to happen is near.
                        Or a counterfeiter is at work, John Chapter 8.

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Exactly how are you defining Jew? My response was to a purely physical descent.
                          • Galatians 3:28-29 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.
                          I have mentioned in one of my comments the "physical Jew" Jews or Hebrews. The covenantal Jews. God the Father spoke to the living Hebrew Abraham, "I will bless those who bless you. I will curse those who curse you." Also to continue, "Through you, Abraham, I will bless all the families of the earth." Of course, God Almighty kept His promise. He sent a Messiah. A "son" in the line of King David, a descendant of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The Son whom He manifested in the flesh and spoke of the "Kingdom of God is nigh and repent (turn back to God)" So that the people could hear Him and understand Him the message of turning back to Him through Yeshua (Jesus), He "will bless all the families of the earth." We get the picture.

Therefore,I am defining "Jew" as one whom our Saviour and Messiah descended from. Do you agree that 'Yeshua', which his mother called him in his Hebrew name, was a Jew and His Jewishness was never erased?

On Galatians 3:28-29, is indeed a precious concept as we take it as it is. Praise God! Paul's rule for all Churches in 1 Corinthians 7:17-18, meaning, in Messiah, Jews and Gentile are one but not the same. As regards to salvation and our standing in the Messiah, there is no difference between Jew and Gentile. As the Apostle Peter declared, "He made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith (Acts 15:9). Jews, Gentiles, men, women, slaves, and freemen have the same access to salvation through the Messiah, but that does not eliminate our distinct identiies and roles.

Comment>

Therefore,I am defining "Jew" as one whom our Saviour and Messiah descended from. Do you agree that 'Yeshua', which his mother called him in his Hebrew name, was a Jew and His Jewishness was never erased?
                            I agree. Just to emphasize:
                            • Galatians 3:15-18 Brothers and sisters, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. Scripture does not say “and to seeds,” meaning many people, but “and to your seed,”[i] meaning one person, who is Christ. 17 What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

The Samaritans were like today's Jews which have rejected Christ. I am inferring from the fact that the Samaritans had not a completed Old Testament. They were limited with only Five books of Moses. Much to the same disadvantage are those that reject the New Testament.
                            • John 4:22 states You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.

I also agree with your last comments. Revelation 7:9-10
                            • After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands,
                            • and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”10

A reiterated point made from John 3:16
                            • “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

The Elect are from Every Tribe, Tongue, and Nation without distinction (World). Of course there is ethnicity, there are different tribes which speak in different tongues located in different nations. From whom God chooses without distinction. Of course this does not mean all men without exception, John 3:18 clarifies.
                            • Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Of course, I see no exception written which would state, "unless you're an ethnic Jew, this does not apply". True/Spiritual Israel is made up of believing Jews as well as believing Gentiles from which no distinction is made for salvation.

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

Thank you. Nevertheless, God's command to us those who can read, see and understand His heart in Isaiah 40:1-2 to this day still stands: " 'Comfort, comfort my people,' " says your God. 'Speak tenderly to Jerusalem; and call out to her thatnher warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned, that she has received of the LORD's hand double for all her sins.' "

Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap