There is something healthy about returning to one’s roots. When it comes to evangelical Christianity, its roots are found in the soil of the sixteenth-century Protestant Reformation.

Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God

Very powerful.
    I remembered reading it a very long time ago.
    It is much more powerful to hear it preached out loud.
    Comment>

I will likely take flack for this, but I don't like that sermon. In fact, I think Edwards wrong for preaching in such a manner. This is not the message or tone in which we are to proclaim the gospel of our Lord, and proclaiming the gospel is the charge.

The basis I judge Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God is the sermons which are found in the book of the Acts of the Apostles. No such tone, or repeated hammering of the wrath of God can be found in the examples we find preached by Peter or Paul. The Puritans, like the rest of us, didn't get it all right.

Edwards was a brillent man, and I don't wish to insult his intelligence or faith. I'm simply commenting on this sermon. I think that the world would be a better place had it never been preached.
      Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
        I will likely take flack for this, but I don't like that sermon. In fact, I think Edwards wrong for preaching in such a manner. This is not the message or tone in which we are to proclaim the gospel of our Lord, and proclaiming the gospel is the charge.

The basis I judge Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God is the sermons which are found in the book of the Acts of the Apostles. No such tone, or repeated hammering of the wrath of God can be found in the examples we find preached by Peter or Paul. The Puritans, like the rest of us, didn't get it all right.

Edwards was a brillent man, and I don't wish to insult his intelligence or faith. I'm simply commenting on this sermon. I think that the world would be a better place had it never been preached.
        I occasionally muse about what it would be like if someone updated the language and preached it today in a congregation. I typically reach the same conclusion that you did. It would not achieve the desired effect.

Yet we live in an age in which men have lost the ability to blush.
        So perhaps a little fire and brimstone is more appropriate ... look to the Old Testament prophets sent to bring charge against Israel.

Did you watch the video?
        I suggest you watch the opening speach up until he begins the actual sermon (if you have no interest in hearing the sermon preached). He makes some interesting points about it. In no particular order, but important as a group:

The sermon had no effect on his home church
        events forced him to preach it unexpectedly
        godly women had been praying for God to work through him
        many of the 500 saved were saved from those impacted by the sermon reaching out to others.

We err in assuming that the words are a magic formula for revival, when the magic formula is the work and the timing of the Holy Spirit. We would do better to pray more intensely for God to show himself strong, be willing to step up and take advantage of unexpected opportunities and be willing to speak the truth boldly as God has given it to us for OUR generation. Then wait and watch for God to do what only God can do ... transform hearts, minds and lives for His Glory!
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap