Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Is it moral...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it moral...

...to seek legislation that would enshrine your own morality in law, and so constrain others who do not share your convictions, but do no harm?
    Last edited by 2ndRateMind; 06-19-2015, 05:46 AM.

Morality comes from religion. God says that government is to be a deterrent against evil. That is not happening, however. God judges a nation by putting in the type of government that suits His judgment. The government is on Christ's shoulders.
    Comment>

Originally posted by 2ndRateMind View Post
      ...to seek legislation that would enshrine your own morality in law, and so constrain others who do not share your convictions, but do no harm?
      According to a Post-Modernist point of view? Are you advocating Wicca?

Lets examine the American Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Our forefathers are acknowledging God as an objective standard of the rightness of law, a standard beyond the “collective agreement and compromise” worked out among mere human beings. These words are an allusion made from not only the American Declaration of Independence but also Genesis 1 and America's First Amendment that recognizes the spiritual pursuit of such, and at the same time the "ordained" right of the Government. Our forefathers recognized first of all that it is “self-evident” that there is a “Creator” and that “all men are created” by Him. Without such acknowledgement the phrase is reduced down to physical life, political liberty, and worldly happiness, which could hardly be true that all men are equal.

You'll have to excuse my conservative interpretation. To not leave out my liberal associates and be fair - this is the same statement according to a liberal worldview: "I alone hold these truths to be self-evident, I have unalienable Rights, Life, Liberty and Happiness." Post modernism affirms no objective or absolute truth, especially in matters of religion and spirituality. When confronted with a truth claim regarding the reality of God and religious practice, postmodernism’s viewpoint is exemplified in the statement “that may be true for you, but not for me.” Hardly conveying the meaning of the phrase as contained in the Declaration of Independence. While such a response may be completely appropriate when discussing favorite foods or preferences toward art, such a mindset is dangerous when it is applied to reality because it confuses matters of opinion with matters of truth. This was made apparent to me after reading the Washington State decision, having stated the right to believe is protected under the Constitution, but to act upon belief is not, which is seemingly "consistent" with a post modern view of religion. If objective and absolute truth does not exist, then everything becomes a matter of personal interpretation that makes it impossible to make meaningful or lasting distinctions between interpretations because there is no standard that can be used. This especially applies to matters of faith and religion.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap