Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

7 reasons why we should pay our tithe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by atpollard View Post
    If you are going to follow the Law, then your Tithe needs to go to the temple in Jerusalem and needs to be used to support the Levites and the widows and orphans.
    Tithing was practiced before the Law was given. After Abraham rescued Lot and the inhabitants of Sodom he gave a tenth to Melchizedek. When Jacob left to go to Laban's home he promised God that if he was allowed to return safely he would give a tenth of what he then possessed.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

    • #17
      Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      Tithing was practiced before the Law was given. After Abraham rescued Lot and the inhabitants of Sodom he gave a tenth to Melchizedek.
      Only sort of. A tithe (10%) was given on certain special occasions for specific reasons. In the case of Abraham, Melchizedek was the King of Salem (Jerusalem) ... so it still went to Jerusalem. There is also a difference between a one-time gift to honor a man of God, and a regular payment of a tenth of your increase. When I met the High Priest in the Order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 6:20), I hesitantly gave him everything ... 100% (and not just possessions, I gave my heart, soul and life). Terrifying and exhilarating.

      Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      When Jacob left to go to Laban's home he promised God that if he was allowed to return safely he would give a tenth of what he then possessed.
      Are tithes conditional? This is an offering.
      Frankly, it sounds like an attempt to bribe God. When I read about how messed up his family was in the chapters leading up to Joseph, I am not inclined to emulate Jacob. God must have REALLY loved Jacob ... just because.


      I see the NT yardstick more along the lines of:

      Acts 8:20 [NIV] Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!

      1 Corinthians 9:7 [NIV] Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
      1 Corinthians 16:2 [NIV] On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

      Philipians 4:18 [NIV] I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.


      It is more about HOW and WHY we give, than HOW MUCH.
      Comment>

      • #18
        I'm guilty of not tithing properly but I do submit offerings and pass out care bags to the needy. I think part of what makes believers hesitant to give is the doubt behind what's being done with the money, even though we know that is none of our business as long as we are giving in duty. I also support multiple charities and am going to start volunteering this year.
        Comment>

        • #19
          Originally posted by PGS28 View Post
          even though we know that is none of our business
          I hear that a lot at my church as well. "God will hold me accountable for what I give, and God will hold them accountable for what they do with it, but it is not our place to question what is done with the money after we have given it" ... seems a popular line of thought. However I seriously question if it is really Biblical.

          I like the way the NLT tells the story:

          Matthew 25:14-21 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip. “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money. “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’ “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

          It sounds to me like God cares how we use what he has placed in our care - time, talent, treasure. God will call us to give an account of how we have used what he gave us. God will praise or condemn US for our stewardship.
          I have trouble reading Matthew 25 and thinking 'that is none of our business'. If I am going to be called to answer to God for that money, I want to be able to give Him a better answer than 'I buried my head in the sand and just blindly trusted men to do the right thing'.

          God Bless.
          Comment>

          • #20
            Originally posted by atpollard
            I hear that a lot at my church as well. "God will hold me accountable for what I give, and God will hold them accountable for what they do with it, but it is not our place to question what is done with the money after we have given it" ... seems a popular line of thought. However I seriously question if it is really Biblical.

            I like the way the NLT tells the story:

            Matthew 25:14-21 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip. “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money. “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’ “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

            It sounds to me like God cares how we use what he has placed in our care - time, talent, treasure. God will call us to give an account of how we have used what he gave us. God will praise or condemn US for our stewardship.
            I have trouble reading Matthew 25 and thinking 'that is none of our business'. If I am going to be called to answer to God for that money, I want to be able to give Him a better answer than 'I buried my head in the sand and just blindly trusted men to do the right thing'.

            God Bless.

            I agree, stewardship is important. In fact, 16 of the 38 parables found in the Gospel, revolve around responsibly using what we are gifted.
            Comment>

            • #21
              I am not discounting tithe but I am wondering as to what means is it going modern times. In many cases, In many instances, don't know if it's going towards the intended purposes as it was supposed to be at the beginning. I believe that an account should be given for the use of the collections. Many churches have very good outreach programs but there are some that we don't know if they are lending that caring and helping hand to the needy. There are even some church organizations in which leaders are soliciting money to buy expensive homes and jets and there is where the tithes should definitely be directed towards.
              Comment>

              • #22
                Some churches and preachers who ask for money intend to use it for themselves rather than for God. We need to check the intended recipients of our tithes to make sure they will use them for the intended purpose.
                Clyde Herrin's Blog
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap