No announcement yet.

7 reasons why we should pay our tithe.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 reasons why we should pay our tithe.

There are many questions going through the hearts of many Christians, and one of them is: are we supposed to pay tithe at this present dispensation? Tithing is a spiritual law of God that is recorded in the bible. The doctrine of tithing is a topic that many of us would not want to discuss. But it is one topic you are supposed to understand well enough and decide whether to obey it or not.

And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’S. It is holy to the LORD. And concerning the tithe of the herd or of the flock, of whatsoever passes under the rod, the tenth one shall be holy to the LORD.– Leviticus 27:30, 32 (NKJV)

Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings – Malachi 3:8 (NKJV)

But woe to you, Pharisees! For you tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass by justice and the love of God. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone – Luke 11:42 (NKJV)

What is tithe? Tithe is ten percent of all your increase and it belongs to the Lord. It is holy to Him (Leviticus 27:30). In the time of the scriptures, the occupation of the people was mainly farming, both of crops and animals. As a result, the tithe was described based on seeds and livestock. However, the principle remains the same: tithe of all your increase (Deuteronomy 14:22).

So, if you are a salary earner – ten percent of your salary; a business man; – ten percent of your profit; and a farmer – ten percent of your yield or increase in livestock. If it is changed into money, it is still acceptable (Deuteronomy 14:25)

Your tithe is either ten percent of all your increase or it is not tithe at all. Anything less than ten percent is an offering.

Origin of tithing:

The first place that tithe was mentioned in the bible was in Genesis 14:18-20, where Abraham gave Melchizedek king of Salem a tithe of all, after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him. However, this spiritual law was made clearer under the laws of Moses (Leviticus 27:30-32). And more lights were shed on it in Malachi 3:8-12.

The Old Testament truly has most of the scriptures on the spiritual law of tithing but the New Testament also has some scriptures that back it up. As a matter of fact Jesus Christ approved of it in Luke 11:42 when He was rebuking the Pharisees. He said to them that they should have attended to justice and the love of God without leaving tithing undone......CONTINUE READING
    TITHING; AN UNTAPPED SOURCE OF BLESSING. ~ Every Day With The Lord

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
    If you are going to follow the Law, then your Tithe needs to go to the temple in Jerusalem and needs to be used to support the Levites and the widows and orphans.
    Tithing was practiced before the Law was given. After Abraham rescued Lot and the inhabitants of Sodom he gave a tenth to Melchizedek. When Jacob left to go to Laban's home he promised God that if he was allowed to return safely he would give a tenth of what he then possessed.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      Tithing was practiced before the Law was given. After Abraham rescued Lot and the inhabitants of Sodom he gave a tenth to Melchizedek.
      Only sort of. A tithe (10%) was given on certain special occasions for specific reasons. In the case of Abraham, Melchizedek was the King of Salem (Jerusalem) ... so it still went to Jerusalem. There is also a difference between a one-time gift to honor a man of God, and a regular payment of a tenth of your increase. When I met the High Priest in the Order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 6:20), I hesitantly gave him everything ... 100% (and not just possessions, I gave my heart, soul and life). Terrifying and exhilarating.

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      When Jacob left to go to Laban's home he promised God that if he was allowed to return safely he would give a tenth of what he then possessed.
      Are tithes conditional? This is an offering.
      Frankly, it sounds like an attempt to bribe God. When I read about how messed up his family was in the chapters leading up to Joseph, I am not inclined to emulate Jacob. God must have REALLY loved Jacob ... just because.

I see the NT yardstick more along the lines of:

Acts 8:20 [NIV] Peter answered: “May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!

1 Corinthians 9:7 [NIV] Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
      1 Corinthians 16:2 [NIV] On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

Philipians 4:18 [NIV] I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.

It is more about HOW and WHY we give, than HOW MUCH.

Comment

I'm guilty of not tithing properly but I do submit offerings and pass out care bags to the needy. I think part of what makes believers hesitant to give is the doubt behind what's being done with the money, even though we know that is none of our business as long as we are giving in duty. I also support multiple charities and am going to start volunteering this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PGS28 View Post
          even though we know that is none of our business
          I hear that a lot at my church as well. "God will hold me accountable for what I give, and God will hold them accountable for what they do with it, but it is not our place to question what is done with the money after we have given it" ... seems a popular line of thought. However I seriously question if it is really Biblical.

I like the way the NLT tells the story:

Matthew 25:14-21 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip. “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money. “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’ “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

It sounds to me like God cares how we use what he has placed in our care - time, talent, treasure. God will call us to give an account of how we have used what he gave us. God will praise or condemn US for our stewardship.
          I have trouble reading Matthew 25 and thinking 'that is none of our business'. If I am going to be called to answer to God for that money, I want to be able to give Him a better answer than 'I buried my head in the sand and just blindly trusted men to do the right thing'.

God Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by atpollard
            I hear that a lot at my church as well. "God will hold me accountable for what I give, and God will hold them accountable for what they do with it, but it is not our place to question what is done with the money after we have given it" ... seems a popular line of thought. However I seriously question if it is really Biblical.

I like the way the NLT tells the story:

Matthew 25:14-21 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. He called together his servants and entrusted his money to them while he was gone. He gave five bags of silver to one, two bags of silver to another, and one bag of silver to the last—dividing it in proportion to their abilities. He then left on his trip. “The servant who received the five bags of silver began to invest the money and earned five more. The servant with two bags of silver also went to work and earned two more. But the servant who received the one bag of silver dug a hole in the ground and hid the master’s money. “After a long time their master returned from his trip and called them to give an account of how they had used his money. The servant to whom he had entrusted the five bags of silver came forward with five more and said, ‘Master, you gave me five bags of silver to invest, and I have earned five more.’ “The master was full of praise. ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’

It sounds to me like God cares how we use what he has placed in our care - time, talent, treasure. God will call us to give an account of how we have used what he gave us. God will praise or condemn US for our stewardship.
            I have trouble reading Matthew 25 and thinking 'that is none of our business'. If I am going to be called to answer to God for that money, I want to be able to give Him a better answer than 'I buried my head in the sand and just blindly trusted men to do the right thing'.

God Bless.

I agree, stewardship is important. In fact, 16 of the 38 parables found in the Gospel, revolve around responsibly using what we are gifted.

Comment

Sponsors

Collapse

Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap