Dos and Don'ts, all we need to know is the Bible; however, not all is covered explicitly. Discuss how Christians should act or what they should do when facing divorce, smoking, and other issues.

Serious question - remarriage and heaven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious question - remarriage and heaven

This is something I've often pondered but don't really know of a solid answer to.

If someone's spouse passes away, and then they remarry - what happens from a heaven perspective? Who would get "priority"? I've been so confused by it.

Would love to hear your thoughts and supporting evidence.

Originally posted by amelia88 View Post
    This is something I've often pondered but don't really know of a solid answer to.

If someone's spouse passes away, and then they remarry - what happens from a heaven perspective? Who would get "priority"? I've been so confused by it.

Would love to hear your thoughts and supporting evidence.
    Hello Amelia,

All bets are off when death do us part:
    • Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

And for context, Matthew 22:23-33:

23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[b]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching.
    May I suggest that this life and our relationships (marriage, family, even pets ) are only preparation for a relationship with God. I think our relationship with God in the afterlife will far exceed all of our earthly expectations.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

William - thank you! Great explanation and I think you hit the nail on the head for me about our relationships here on Earth simply being preparation for that higher relationship we will have with God.

The clarification though has put my mind at ease. Appreciate your help and knowledge!
      Comment>

That is a really wonderful explanation. I have always had the same kind of belief that we are all vibrational or spiritual beings and that when we die, we become one with the non-physical source of all things, we become one with God. In that situation, there is no need for marriage, or relationships or anything like that because we are all one. It's the law of Divine Oneness.
        Comment>

The only marriage in heaven is the marriage between God and you. We do not belong to our spouses after death. There is also nothing wrong with getting remarried after a spouse dies. It's more about what happens when people get casually divorced for invalid reasons. I have to wonder if people get divorce for invalid reason if getting remarried is a form adultery.
          Comment>

When we get to heaven love will be equal between all people. The love we experience in the heavens is far beyond what we can comprehend here. There will be no jealousy, no sorrow, no need to "belong" to another. God will meet all our emotional and spiritual needs. While we are here we crave the love of others, be it spouse, children or friends. To meet that love requirement we marry, have children, adopt pets, anything to meet that inner need for our empty love space. Heaven will be a place of complete and total love and belonging. If you choose to remarry, your past spouse will not be effected by jealousy and anger. All of the negative feelings we have now will have no place in a sinless world or faith, hope and acceptance.

I do not think our human minds can really understand a place that does not weigh us down with emotional turmoil. One day we will all be a community that has one soul, one mind, one love. I can't wait to get there!
            Comment>

Originally posted by DeMarie View Post
              When we get to heaven love will be equal between all people. The love we experience in the heavens is far beyond what we can comprehend here. There will be no jealousy, no sorrow, no need to "belong" to another. God will meet all our emotional and spiritual needs. While we are here we crave the love of others, be it spouse, children or friends. To meet that love requirement we marry, have children, adopt pets, anything to meet that inner need for our empty love space. Heaven will be a place of complete and total love and belonging. If you choose to remarry, your past spouse will not be effected by jealousy and anger. All of the negative feelings we have now will have no place in a sinless world or faith, hope and acceptance.

I do not think our human minds can really understand a place that does not weigh us down with emotional turmoil. One day we will all be a community that has one soul, one mind, one love. I can't wait to get there!
              It is hard to conceptualize that kind of place at times - here on Earth it can sometimes seem like emotional turmoil is never ending! I love how you explained that idea that we are essentially "void filling" in a way, with the love space we are trying to fill. That makes a lot of sense to me. It makes me feel so much more calm knowing that I won't experience jealousy or envy or anything like that - it's very reassuring. Thank you for taking the time to help me understand it better! :)
              Comment>

You should also be wary of some false teachers who are spreading the lies that people can and do get married in heaven. There's this book I saw written by someone who purpotedly is a priest who tries to sell the idea that "we" know very little about heaven. True that is, but Jesus was here and did tell us a little about heaven. Anyone who contradicts the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Son of God is a liar.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                  You should also be wary of some false teachers who are spreading the lies that people can and do get married in heaven. There's this book I saw written by someone who purpotedly is a priest who tries to sell the idea that "we" know very little about heaven. True that is, but Jesus was here and did tell us a little about heaven. Anyone who contradicts the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Son of God is a liar.
                  Well I have never heard of this one before, but it is a little alarming to think that it is out there. I hope that nobody is buying this stuff and it really does just sound like a guy who comes up with a controversial idea and tries to profit from it. He would not be the first, nor the last, to do so, but I still certainly do not like seeing it. That said, though, I guess the only real way to combat things like this is to spread the word and raise awareness. For that reason, I say thank you for sharing.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by rz3300 View Post

Well I have never heard of this one before, but it is a little alarming to think that it is out there. I hope that nobody is buying this stuff and it really does just sound like a guy who comes up with a controversial idea and tries to profit from it. He would not be the first, nor the last, to do so, but I still certainly do not like seeing it. That said, though, I guess the only real way to combat things like this is to spread the word and raise awareness. For that reason, I say thank you for sharing.
                    To add to Smithee's comment, my great aunt and great uncle went to a church that openly believed that people could have intercourse when they go to heaven. So the marriage in heaven is fairly tame to some of the things I've heard preached in 'churches' you have to be very selective when finding a church to make sure they don't have weird non-biblical fetishes. My great uncle died but I'm pretty sure my great aunt still goes to that church.
                    Comment>

My mom passed away almost seven years ago and my dad remarried to an amazing woman that I love and respect. Not any less than I did my own mother, but just in a different way.

The thing they are more concerned with is who gets buried where on the physical earth.

My mom wanted my Dad to remarry (we knew she was terminal) if he found someone. That was an act of love on her part. She knew she wasn't replacable.

I don't think we will really hav those types of concerns in heaven, which is of huge comfort to me.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Hello Amelia,

All bets are off when death do us part:
                        • Matthew 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

And for context, Matthew 22:23-33:

May I suggest that this life and our relationships (marriage, family, even pets ) are only preparation for a relationship with God. I think our relationship with God in the afterlife will far exceed all of our earthly expectations.

God bless,
                        William
                        This is a beautiful post. I think that we sometimes get caught up in earthly thoughts when it comes to God, but when we actually are in heaven, like you say, it will surpass all that we could have expected. :)
                        Comment>

I remember asking my grandmother the same question when I was a kid. I didn't know the answer and couldn't fathom and heaven or hell at that time. She just told me flat out what she thought in plain and simple terms and 10 year old could understand. You are only allowed to remarry if your other half passes away or if they committed adultery. That's how it was explained to me.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by joshuap View Post
                            I remember asking my grandmother the same question when I was a kid. I didn't know the answer and couldn't fathom and heaven or hell at that time. She just told me flat out what she thought in plain and simple terms and 10 year old could understand. You are only allowed to remarry if your other half passes away or if they committed adultery. That's how it was explained to me.
                            And Scripture pretty much confirms what your grandmother taught you.

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

To find answer to a topic such as this one, there is no better place to look than in the very words of God Himself as found in the Scriptures. What did Jesus say in this instance, for example? Just read through the Gospels and you will find His answers to this very topic. Find it.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap