Presbyterianism, whose bodies are also called Reformed Churches, share a common origin in the 16th-century Swiss Reformation and the teachings of John Calvin, and today is one of the largest Christian denominations in Protestantism.

Will sacrifices be restored when Christ returns? (2017-05-31)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will sacrifices be restored when Christ returns? (2017-05-31)

Question:

Will sacrifices be restored when Christ returns?

Answer:

Reformed theology in general does not recognize a renewal of the Old Covenant sacrificial system, even in modified form. Christ’s sacrifice on the cross was the final sacrifice for sins (Hebrews 9:23-28). That sacrifice opens the way to God so that no further sacrifice is needed for salvation or to maintain fellowship with God (Hebrews 10:19-22). The sacrifices of thanksgiving and consecration are now rendered through the presentation of our bodies as “living sacrifices, holy and acceptable unto God…” (Romans 12:1).

Christians who hold to the renewed offering of sacrifices upon the return of Christ usually hold also the premillenial/dispensational view of eschatology. Briefly, this position interprets Scripture to mean that the nation Israel will be restored to earthly prominence at the Second Coming of Jesus and will reign with Him on earth for a thousand years (cf. Revelation 20). During this supposed reign daily sacrifices will be offered in the restored temple constructed along the lines revealed in Ezekiel, chapters 40-48. Israel is distinguished from the Church, which according to this view, will have been taken out of this world and will therefore not participate in these sacrifices.

The vast majority of the Reformed community, not to mention a majority of all Christians, does not hold the premillenial/dispensational position. In the Old Covenant context the offering of sacrifices is supposed to open a way to God (Leviticus 16:1-3). But those sacrifices and any earthly Jewish temple are merely pictures of Christ’s atoning death on the cross (Hebrews 8:4-5). To renew that Old Covenant practice, as would be the case if additional sacrifices would be made, would be to deny that Christ is the only true way to God (John 14:6).

Even if one accepts that there will be an earthly thousand year reign of Christ, there is no warrant for the reinstitution of a modified sacrificial system. In the (to me unlikely) eventuality of a millennial kingdom, no one will need more animal sacrifices in order to appreciate the death of Christ, and no one will need to offer flesh or grain on an altar in order to draw nearer to God.

Revelation 21:22 says specifically that there is to be no temple in Heaven. Why would God perpetuate that institution on earth? Ephesians 2:14-15 says that God has removed the distinction between Jew and Gentile and created “one new man,” the Christian person. Why would he again establish a uniquely Jewish form of worship that was always intended to show that even the most pious form of religion failed actually to bring one to God. The only hope of Jew or Gentile is Jesus Christ crucified and risen from the dead. Romans 11 clearly indicates that we may expect a great turning of the Jews to Christ someday, but Scripture offers no thought of their worshipping the Lord in any respect other than in spirit and in truth along with all other Christians.

Jesus is all the sacrifice anyone needs, and the Lord Almighty and the Lamb are all the temple anyone needs (Revelation 21:22).

More...

I would like to respond to some statements in the article you link to.

Christians who hold to the renewed offering of sacrifices upon the return of Christ usually hold also the premillenial/dispensational view of eschatology. Briefly, this position interprets Scripture to mean that the nation Israel will be restored to earthly prominence at the Second Coming of Jesus and will reign with Him on earth for a thousand years (cf. Revelation 20). During this supposed reign daily sacrifices will be offered in the restored temple constructed along the lines revealed in Ezekiel, chapters 40-48. Israel is distinguished from the Church, which according to this view, will have been takRevelation 21:22 says specifically that there is to be no temple in Heaven. Why would God perpetuate that institution on earth?en out of this world and will therefore not participate in these sacrifices.
    I hold the premillenial/dispensational view and I believe that Ezekiel 40-48 describes what will happen during the millenium, but I disagree with the last statement. The church will be taken out of the world before the tribulation, but we will return with Christ and will be part of the kingdom he sets up, so we will take part in the sacrifices.

Even if one accepts that there will be an earthly thousand year reign of Christ, there is no warrant for the reinstitution of a modified sacrificial system. In the (to me unlikely) eventuality of a millennial kingdom, no one will need more animal sacrifices in order to appreciate the death of Christ, and no one will need to offer flesh or grain on an altar in order to draw nearer to God.
    At the start of the Millenium everyone will be saved and have no need of sacrifices to remind them of what Christ did, but there will be births during the Millenium and those born will need to be taught the truth just like those before them. Animal sacrifices will be needed to help them understand.

Animal sacrifices during the Millenium | clydeherrin

Revelation 21:22 says specifically that there is to be no temple in Heaven. Why would God perpetuate that institution on earth?
    On earth there will always be people who are still unregenerate and need to be taught the truth.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

At the start of the Millenium everyone will be saved and have no need of sacrifices to remind them of what Christ did, but there will be births during the Millenium and those born will need to be taught the truth just like those before them. Animal sacrifices will be needed to help them understand.
      So why aren’t they needed for those born today who need to be taught the truth?

What do we have today that you believe is superior to what the millennium will offer?

Comment>

Originally posted by LastDaze View Post

So why aren’t they needed for those born today who need to be taught the truth?

What do we have today that you believe is superior to what the millennium will offer?
        We live in an era where death is common. When someone tells us that the wages of sin is death we find that easy to understand. During the Millennium death will be uncommon. Even animals will be vegetarians.

The wolf and the lamb shall graze together;
        the lion shall eat straw like the ox,
        and dust shall be the serpent's food.
        They shall not hurt or destroy
        in all my holy mountain,”
        says the Lord.
        (Isaiah 65:25 ESV)

Animal sacrifices will be needed so that those born during this time will understand what it means to die.

Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

We live in an era where death is common. When someone tells us that the wages of sin is death we find that easy to understand. During the Millennium death will be uncommon. Even animals will be vegetarians.
          Define uncommon... 1 of every three unsaved people will die before the 1000 years is up?
          1 in 10?
          1 in 100?

Animal sacrifices will be needed so that those born during this time will understand what it means to die.
          Ok, so you believe that the commonality of death today is as superior teacher about salvation than the Blood of Bulls and goats, but once Death is less common (how much less common you havent said) then the blood of Bulls and goats will be required to teach the living sinners who never die, about death and salvation...
          Do I have that right?

Now...Where does the Bible Teach that Isaiah 65 referrs to the Millennium?

All I see is an assumpton on your part that it does, but no direct scriptural teaching.

In My Bible, Isaiah states that He is referring to the New Heavens and Earth Period in Chapter 65, not the "Millennium":

17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
          And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
          18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create;
          For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing,
          And her people a joy.
          19 I will rejoice in Jerusalem,
          And joy in My people;
          The voice of weeping shall no longer be heard in her,
          Nor the voice of crying.

20 “No more shall an infant from there live but a few days,
          Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days;
          For the child shall die one hundred years old,
          But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed.
          21 They shall build houses and inhabit them;
          They shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.

Was Isaiah Mistaken?

Do you know something Isaiah didn't?
          Last edited by LastDaze; 11-15-2017, 02:53 PM.
          Comment>

Define uncommon... 1 of every three unsaved people will die before the 1000 years is up?
            1 in 10?
            1 in 100?
            The only deaths will be those of people who rebel against God. The fact that a multitude of people will follow Satan when he is released shows that most of the unsaved will avoid any outward acts that would bring judgment on them. Satan's release will bring to light the true hearts of the people.

Now...Where does the Bible Teach that Isaiah 65 referrs to the Millennium?
            But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed.
            There will still be sinners at that time.

Do you know something Isaiah didn't?
            Yes, and so do you. We have the New Testament and the parts of the Old that were written after Isaiah's time.
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

No they are types and shadows. We have the fulfillment of the types. There is no need to back to the shadows when we have the full light.
              Comment>

They are Old Covenant not New Covenant. Who returns to the Old when they have the New?
                Comment>

I thought Christ was the final sacrifice for sins. Children are born now and learn now without animal sacrifices, so I don't see why this would be any different in a post-return world. Unless a new covenant was made to replace the one formed by his sacrifice, which seems extremely unlikely, I don't see why animal sacrifice would be needed.
                  Comment>

Right sister Christ is the final sacrifice for sins.To look for another sacrifice is to dishonor Christ and the once for all sacrifice he made for sins
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                      Right sister Christ is the final sacrifice for sins.To look for another sacrifice is to dishonor Christ and the once for all sacrifice he made for sins
                      Christ is the final sacrifice for sin. We need a reminder of that sacrifice. Today we have a rite known as communion to remind us. During the Millennium animals sacrifices will serve instead. The original sacrifices didn't actually take away sin; they served as a symbol of what Christ would do in the future. When they are restored they will still be symbols, but will look back at what he did in the past.

If you don't believe there will be literal sacrifices in the future, how do you explain Ezekiel's prophecies?
                      Clyde Herrin's Blog
                      Comment>

Ezekiel 45:23 KJV states that sacrifices will be sin offerings. Hebrews 10 states that there will be no need for sacrifices. The whole passage describes it, for example Hebrews 10:18:
                        "And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary."

Hebrews10:26 and 27 even states that sacrifices will not avail those who sin after they come to the knowledge:
                        26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
                        27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

Regarding the temple Ezekiel spoke of, there's a temple described in the New Testament in Ephesians 2:20-22 which would require no animal sacrifice at all:

Ephesians 2:20
                        20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
                        21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.
                        22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
                        Comment>

The only deaths will be those of people who rebel against God.
                          You seem to be teaching the opposite of Isaiah here.

"The Child shall die at 100 years old, but the sinner being 100 years old shall be acursed."

2 people in the passage, the child and the sinner.
                          Child, not rebelling against God, Shall die at 100 years old... the Sinner NOT DYING at 100 years old, but accursed.

There will still be sinners at that time.
                          Isaiah, writing under divine inspiration teaches infallibly that During the New H&E period, there will still be sinners.
                          John, in the NT confirms this fact: Revelation 22:14-17

Random Internet Guy Theophilus says Isaiah and John are wrong to teach this.

When Choosing which party to believe, God's Inspired Prophet and Apostle or some Random 21st century internet guy, my money is on Isaiah & John, every time.

Comment>

Random Internet Guy Theophilus says Isaiah and John are wrong to teach this.
                            No, they are both right.
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>

Christ is the final sacrifice for sin. We need a reminder of that sacrifice. Today we have a rite known as communion to remind us. During the Millennium animals sacrifices will serve instead. The original sacrifices didn't actually take away sin; they served as a symbol of what Christ would do in the future. When they are restored they will still be symbols, but will look back at what he did in the past.
                              You are fooling yourself about Ezekiel 40-44's sacrifices. They are propitiatory, not memorial:

Ezekiel 40:39
                              In the porch of the gate were two tables on each side, on which to slaughter the burnt offering, the sin offering and the guilt offering.

Ezekiel 42:13
                              the priests who are near to the LORD shall eat the most holy things. There they shall lay the most holy things, the grain offering, the sin offering and the guilt offering;

Ezekiel 43:20
                              'You shall take some of its blood and put it on its four horns and on the four corners of the ledge and on the border round about; thus you shall cleanse it and make atonement for it.

Ezekiel 43:21
                              'You shall also take the bull for the sin offering

Ezekiel 43:22
                              'On the second day you shall offer a male goat without blemish for a sin offering

Ezekiel 43:27
                              'When they have completed the days, it shall be that on the eighth day and onward, the priests shall offer your burnt offerings on the altar, and your peace offerings; AND I WILL ACCEPT YOU

Ezekiel 44:10
                              "But the Levites who went far from Me when Israel went astray, who went astray from Me after their idols, shall bear the punishment for their iniquity. Yet they shall be ministers in My sanctuary, having oversight at the gates of the house and ministering in the house; they shall slaughter the burnt offering and the sacrifice for the people

Ezekiel 44:23
                              "Moreover, they shall teach My people the difference between the holy and the profane, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean.

Ezekiel 43:7
                              Son of man, this [stone temple] is the place of My throne and the place of the soles of My feet, where I will dwell among the sons of Israel forever.

All these offerings are the propitiatory offerings of the Mosaic Law that Jesus came to FULFILL, once for all time, forever. The teaching of a reinstitution of this blood sacrificial system is a rebuke against the blood of Jesus Christ, and a cause for anathema according to the apostles. A return to this system is a falling away from salvation, according to the apostles. A falling from the grace of Jesus Christ

Setting aside the sacrifice, How do you explain the requirement for physical circumcision in the supposed millennium?

Ezekiel 44:9
                              'Thus says the Lord GOD, "No foreigner uncircumcised in heart and uncircumcised in flesh of all the foreigners who are among the sons of Israel, shall enter My sanctuary.

What would Paul say to you about that?

Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters. 1Corinthians 7:19

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love. Galatians 5:6

For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation. Galatians 6:15

I reject the "Backwards Redemption - Replacement Theology" of Renewed Animal Sacrifice and Physical Circumcision, as should and would ANY Christian following the Inspired teaching of the Apostles on the matter.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap