Presbyterianism, whose bodies are also called Reformed Churches, share a common origin in the 16th-century Swiss Reformation and the teachings of John Calvin, and today is one of the largest Christian denominations in Protestantism.

Mark of the Beast (2017-06-07)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark of the Beast (2017-06-07)

I have many relatives who are Pentecostal and Charismatic. Lately, they have become obsessed with the theory that the so-called "mark of the beast" (mentioned in the book of Revelation) is a microchip that will be implanted inside of our hands in the near future. I often hear that such microchip will substitute money and that if Christians receive it, they will not be saved because they would have accepted the mark of the beast.

What is the mark of the beast, according to Reformed theology?

Also, can you direct me to online resources that refute this microchip theory from the Reformed point of view?

More...

I'm thinking that the passage reads that anyone who Does receive the mark of the beast will incur the wrath of God. One passage is in Rev. 13: 16-18 and then 14:9-10 .
    Comment>

It's being in the form of a micro-chip would not be surprising.
      Comment>

I know someone who says the Mark is modern phones, because they are always in people's hands now, and wth Android pay they supplant money. Some years ago it was thought to be barcodes. The problem is that the Bible says people will receive a mark on the forehead or on the hand, which a phone or barcode isn't.

However the exact text of Revelation says:

“If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath.” Revelation 14:9,10

Note the 'and'. There are two acts necessary to bring down God's fury: a person needs to both receive the mark and worship the beast. People forced to receive the mark who refuse to do the second because they aren't going to worship something that is not God, aren't mentioned as necessarily damned. (The other thorny issue is people who choose to martyr themselves by taking the mark expecting damnation so that they can buy and sell to feed and provide aid to those who have not taken it. Enough martyrs today make the choice to sacrifice themselves for others, even when it may be deemed suicide and eternal torment, that it is believable some people would.).
        Comment>

It is possible that a microchip might be implanted when someone takes the mark but that doesn't mean that the use of such microchips is wrong today. The mark won't be required until the Beast is in power and that hasn't happened yet.

666 and RFID chips | clydeherrin
          Clyde Herrin's Blog
          Comment>

There Are lots of Good reasons / uses for a microchip to be implanted these days. It might be that it becomes such a normal thing to do , that people won't complain when it's used for other purposes. And that's probably when the problem will begin. Our freedom to chose for ourselves vs government control.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
              It's being in the form of a micro-chip would not be surprising.

Americans are so obsessed with eschatology.
              Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post

Americans are so obsessed with eschatology.

Yes, some of 'us' are, there are Worse things to be obsessed with ;)
                Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap