Mormon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mormon

    I was looking on the forum headers and did not see any specific section for Mormons? Was just curious why that is, am I not looking in the right place, or are there just not any Mormons on here. I would love to have discussions with some practicing Mormons so I can learn more about this sector.

  • #2
    Speaking for myself, I think Mormon beliefs are so far removed from orthodox Christianity, they are not really Christian at all. Mormonism is, instead, a religion in its own right, rather than a sect within some other religion.

    Somebody said, and I agree with him, that a Islam is considerably closer to Christianity than Mormonism is, because Islam is at least monothistic, and a Muslim, like a Christian, would be shocked at the idea of humans becoming gods.
    Comment>

    • #3
      "ThyWordis Truth" is the person who got me to this group.

      We Can share Christianity with you. The death, burial and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ -- Jesus Christ being the Son of God. Christianity is what God has already done For us Through His Son, Jesus Christ. We are all sinners in need of salvation. God's Word tells us that 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but by Me." that is Jesus Christ talking in John 14:6. Everyone has either heaven or hell in their future. God's word tells us how to be in the one and stay out of the other. The book of Romans.

      If you're interested in a good book to read. The book of John is a good place to start. John 3:16 is a good verse.

      God is the only One who Is and always has been and always will be God. No person will ever become God.
      Comment>

      • #4
        I am not Mormon and their belief is very different from the Christian sect I grew up with but I admire their dedication to their faith because they are willing to go overseas just to try convert people to their faith. Some of them even go to Islamic countries which is very dangerous. I also admire their dedication to chastity because most Christian kids these days are so eager to lose their virginity.

        What I don't like with their religion is some contradiction about their beliefs to Black people. I find it offensive. Also they have many Gods.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by Rosyrain View Post
          I was looking on the forum headers and did not see any specific section for Mormons? Was just curious why that is, am I not looking in the right place, or are there just not any Mormons on here. I would love to have discussions with some practicing Mormons so I can learn more about this sector.
          G'day Rosyrain,

          We only provide "havens" for denominations. All denominations agree to the essential truths found in Scripture and profess the Ecumenical creeds: Ecumenical creeds is an umbrella term used in the Western Church to refer to the Nicene Creed, the Apostles' Creed and, less commonly, the Athanasian Creed. The ecumenical creeds are also known as the universal creeds.

          Mormonism is a Christian "Cult". Therefore, no place will be made for Mormonism, though the topic is welcome in various places within the board.

          God bless,
          William
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Sparky View Post
            I am not Mormon and their belief is very different from the Christian sect I grew up with but I admire their dedication to their faith because they are willing to go overseas just to try convert people to their faith. Some of them even go to Islamic countries which is very dangerous. I also admire their dedication to chastity because most Christian kids these days are so eager to lose their virginity.

            What I don't like with their religion is some contradiction about their beliefs to Black people. I find it offensive. Also they have many Gods.


            The Gospel unto salvation is what is important to be sharing -- no matter where a person is. The Holy Spirit indwelling an individual is what makes the difference in a person's life. The Holy Spirit directs Lots of people to go to various countries -- some of the very dangerous -- to share that Gospel unto salvation. Maybe Christian kids need to be taught Biblical morality / ethics from their parents / churches. Maybe 'we' need to be acknowledging God's authority for our lives. Instead of promoting the concept that "teens will be teens - so simply supply them with contraceptives". Sometimes the pressure to 'give in and do it'' is to appease their date after a nice evening out -- or to 'prove' they aren't 'gay/lesbian' -- but that's a whole nuther subject area. Way off topic. But it was brought up.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by William View Post

              G'day Rosyrain,

              We only provide "havens" for denominations. All denominations agree to the essential truths found in Scripture and profess the Ecumenical creeds: Ecumenical creeds is an umbrella term used in the Western Church to refer to the Nicene Creed, the Apostles' Creed and, less commonly, the Athanasian Creed. The ecumenical creeds are also known as the universal creeds.

              Mormonism is a Christian "Cult". Therefore, no place will be made for Mormonism, though the topic is welcome in various places within the board.

              God bless,
              William
              Hi William, could you explain what makes Mormanism a cult? I always thought it was a sector of Christian faith although I do not believe in some of its beliefs and practices. Is it because some within the church believe in polygamy or the "latter day saints" part of it? When I think of a cult, I think more of Scientology and such, have never really considered Mormons to be a cult group.
              Comment>

              • #8
                Originally posted by Rosyrain View Post

                Hi William, could you explain what makes Mormanism a cult? I always thought it was a sector of Christian faith although I do not believe in some of its beliefs and practices. Is it because some within the church believe in polygamy or the "latter day saints" part of it? When I think of a cult, I think more of Scientology and such, have never really considered Mormons to be a cult group.
                G'day Rosy,

                Mainly, because Mormons are not Trinitarian. The Nicene Creed is a great place to start comparing the Mormon religion with the orthodox belief which all denominations agree.

                Here's a good place to start: Is Mormonism Compatible with the Bible? -Christforums

                God bless,
                William
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by Rosyrain View Post
                  I was looking on the forum headers and did not see any specific section for Mormons? Was just curious why that is, am I not looking in the right place, or are there just not any Mormons on here. I would love to have discussions with some practicing Mormons so I can learn more about this sector.
                  Mormonism says there are many Gods and that you can become one, they say Jesus and satan are brothers, they say Jesus did NOT make atonement on the cross. They say God the father was once a MAN who had to EARN His way to become a God. They say you must learn secret handshakes and passwords and wear special underwear in order to live with God the father when you die. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all human beings, male and female, are beloved spirit children of heavenly parents, a Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Mother. In no way can mormonism be classed as "Christian"
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Re: post #9 -- you're right -- no way are those beliefs anything Biblical.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
                      Re: post #9 -- you're right -- no way are those beliefs anything Biblical.

                      The important thing is, i can PROVE the claims i made from official mormon sources.

                      If you meet a mormon, ask them if God the father has always been God the father. They will usually say "yes". I then quote their founder:

                      "God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. ...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil,... It is the first principle of the gospel to know for a certainty the character of God, ...and that He was once a man like us; yea, that God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ Himself did; ...you have got to learn how to be gods yourselves, and to be kings and priests to God, the same as all gods have done before you, namely, by going from one small degree to another,... from exaltation to exaltation, until you attain to the resurrection of the dead, and are able to dwell in everlasting burnings. and to sit in glory, as do those who sit enthroned in everlasting power" (History of the Church, Vol. 6, Ch. 14, p. 305-6).


                      I then ask them again. They will either usually run away or say "well, He has always been OUR Heavenly father". See how they will play word games. I tell them that that is NOT what i asked, not "has God the father always been your God the father".

                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        A person can Also use the Bible / God's authority -- God's Word being The Truth. :)
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Here is an excellent site for learning what the Bible says about Mormon teachings.

                          Mormons in Transition | Mormons in Transition
                          Clyde Herrin's Blog
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Calvarystudy

                            Mormonism says there are many Gods and that you can become one, they say Jesus and satan are brothers, they say Jesus did NOT make atonement on the cross. They say God the father was once a MAN who had to EARN His way to become a God. They say you must learn secret handshakes and passwords and wear special underwear in order to live with God the father when you die. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all human beings, male and female, are beloved spirit children of heavenly parents, a Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Mother. In no way can mormonism be classed as "Christian"
                            And what really makes these claims even more crazy, is that Mormons believe that The Church was in a state of apostacy, until a crazy man claimed he heard from God in the 1600's.
                            Comment>

                            • #15
                              Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                              And what really makes these claims even more crazy, is that Mormons believe that The Church was in a state of apostacy, until a crazy man claimed he heard from God in the 1600's.
                              Yeah, they say they have the RESTORED gospel, but they cannot prove that their gospel was EVER preached to begin with!
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap