Just Another "little" Word?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Another "little" Word?

A number of years ago, when I was working with the "New Creations" program at the Seattle Union Mission, I had a break and was able to just sit and have some personal time with my Bible. On that particular day I went off schedule and decided that it was time to re-read the letter to the Ephesians again instead of what I had previously mapped out. After I had finished the 1st chapter I started on the second and stopped because I felt the nagging need to re-read what I had just perused. Then, I read it again and still, once more and then it finally hit me as to what was bothering me.

Generally speaking, as in another thread, whole, now favorite verses give us that extra lift that we need in order to cope or find yet another milestone in our Christian life but this wasn't a whole verse but a seeming insignificant, small word that set the tempo for my Christian existance.
    Examine, if you will, the first few verses in Ephesians chapter 1 and you will see a very, small two letter word. There, do you see it? The word.........IN!!

For me, many of the "mysteries" suddenly came into focus over the word "in" but instead of writing a whole blog or book concerning the find, I would like to turn it over to the other wonderful Christ centered Theologians involved with this discussion group and see what you guys think of "in" and how it affects you! Granted, I do have a lot to add, but.........you first!

God Bless Ya'll Mightily and have a little fun today!! Bobby

Pretty cool.

IN = Strong's G1722

ἐν en, en; a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between G1519 and G1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:—about, after, against, + almost, × altogether, among, × as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (… sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), × mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, × outwardly, one, × quickly, × shortly, (speedi-)ly, × that, × there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.
    The point I took away was best expressed in it falling between G1519 which means to enter into or arrive at something and G1537 which means to be departing from something.

So IN is a fixed state. We are there to stay. We have not 'arrived' at the blessings of IN ...

Ephesians 1:3-14
    3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
    ... we are ETERNALLY FIXED 'IN' Christ, in the heanenly places, before the foundation, in love, in all wisdom and insight.
    We are eternally fastened right where God wants us - surrounded by His Grace and Love and Blessings ... IN Christ (and unmovably so,)

So we are fixed in Christ and His Spirit is fixed in us.
    Comment>

That word in speaks that there is a difference between being redeemed and being saved.
      Paul talks about judging and being in the judgement - two groups...
      parable of the ten virgin...
      They were all virgins to Christ...
      Comment>

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post
        A number of years ago, when I was working with the "New Creations" program at the Seattle Union Mission, I had a break and was able to just sit and have some personal time with my Bible. On that particular day I went off schedule and decided that it was time to re-read the letter to the Ephesians again instead of what I had previously mapped out. After I had finished the 1st chapter I started on the second and stopped because I felt the nagging need to re-read what I had just perused. Then, I read it again and still, once more and then it finally hit me as to what was bothering me.

Generally speaking, as in another thread, whole, now favorite verses give us that extra lift that we need in order to cope or find yet another milestone in our Christian life but this wasn't a whole verse but a seeming insignificant, small word that set the tempo for my Christian existance.
        Examine, if you will, the first few verses in Ephesians chapter 1 and you will see a very, small two letter word. There, do you see it? The word.........IN!!

For me, many of the "mysteries" suddenly came into focus over the word "in" but instead of writing a whole blog or book concerning the find, I would like to turn it over to the other wonderful Christ centered Theologians involved with this discussion group and see what you guys think of "in" and how it affects you! Granted, I do have a lot to add, but.........you first!

God Bless Ya'll Mightily and have a little fun today!! Bobby

Ephesians 1:3-14 is a great example.

Contrasting "without" to "in" and "in" to "without" helps me. Separating or distinguishing, that is, to be set apart and chosen for God's purpose. "Without" are "in the world" and "in sin". But when we are within Christ, in whom alone we receive, whether blessing, grace, and/or salvation, the contrasting helps emphasize that we cannot receive heavenly things such as wisdom and insight in worldly places... .

Consider Revelation 22:14-15
        • Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
        • Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Take these verses in for a moment (no pun intended). I mean wow, I think this conveys exactly what it is to be "In" vs "Without". There's no middle ground, go in the gates and be united for what is said to belong to the Body of Christ belongs to the members - take freely of the promises and privileges. Without are dogs.... . they are in the world and in sin, they are dogs which are persons unclean and comparable for their filthiness, impudence, and voraciousness, as are those persecutors, heretics, and apostates... .

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Originally posted by 2404 View Post
          That word in speaks that there is a difference between being redeemed and being saved.
          Paul talks about judging and being in the judgement - two groups...
          parable of the ten virgin...
          They were all virgins to Christ...
          I see you are pretty new here, 2404, so Welcome to Christ Forum!
          Okay, back to the thread. I'm not really sure which direction you're going with your answer so on that note, could you elaborate just a little more.
          Maybe it's just my age, but sometimes it takes a little more than a few words for me to totally comprehend what someone is writing versus when someone is talking to me. Thanks.

God Bless........Bobby
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Ephesians 1:3-14 is a great example.

Contrasting "without" to "in" and "in" to "without" helps me. Separating or distinguishing, that is, to be set apart and chosen for God's purpose. "Without" are "in the world" and "in sin". But when we are within Christ, in whom alone we receive, whether blessing, grace, and/or salvation, the contrasting helps emphasize that we cannot receive heavenly things such as wisdom and insight in worldly places... .

Consider Revelation 22:14-15
            • Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life and that they may enter the city by the gates.
            • Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Take these verses in for a moment (no pun intended). I mean wow, I think this conveys exactly what it is to be "In" vs "Without". There's no middle ground, go in the gates and be united for what is said to belong to the Body of Christ belongs to the members - take freely of the promises and privileges. Without are dogs.... . they are in the world and in sin, they are dogs which are persons unclean and comparable for their filthiness, impudence, and voraciousness, as are those persecutors, heretics, and apostates... .

God bless,
            William
            I realize that there is nothing funny about your answer William but I had to laugh because you reminded me of what happened when the epiphany of "in" came upon me. I was on the 5th floor of the Boise Rescue Mission. The entire floor was dedicated to the New Creation program where the students studied, slept, showered and held classes but everyone was out doing something which allowed me a chance to just sit, relax and read. When the word "In" hit me I literally ran to the windows which surrounds 3 sides of the floor and poked half my body out of one while yelling and pointing at a few individuals I knew to be dealers, pimps and whatever......"I'M IN, YOU'RE OUT!!" After a couple of times I would then change windows and do the same thing. I had people on the streets looking up, all of which probably thought me to be a madman ready for my straight jacket!!!

Of course I was in, I imagine they were saying for yes, I was in the building. But what I meant was, I WAS (and am) IN CHRIST! They were OUT!!! Wow!
            Not only that, but I realized that not only am I IN Christ, but the Holy Spirit dwells within me!

Anyway, now that I look back on it, it was hilarious but man.......it felt soooooo good! Still does.........

God Bless........Bobby

Comment>

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post
              I see you are pretty new here, 2404, so Welcome to Christ Forum!
              Okay, back to the thread. I'm not really sure which direction you're going with your answer so on that note, could you elaborate just a little more.
              Maybe it's just my age, but sometimes it takes a little more than a few words for me to totally comprehend what someone is writing versus when someone is talking to me. Thanks.

God Bless........Bobby
              Hello and thank you for the welcome Bobby
              For me to be 'in Christ' is to be in His foreknowledge, a part of Him.
              To be redeemed is to buy back whereas to be saved it the granting of eternal life.
              I understand that the bride will go in the rapture but the church nominal will have to stand the judgement.
              Comment>

I love these verses. It's so cool that before mankind was created, God chose us personally to be his own children. It makes me smile when I think about it.
                Comment>

Originally posted by 2404 View Post

Hello and thank you for the welcome Bobby
                  For me to be 'in Christ' is to be in His foreknowledge, a part of Him.
                  To be redeemed is to buy back whereas to be saved it the granting of eternal life.
                  I understand that the bride will go in the rapture but the church nominal will have to stand the judgement.
                  I think I know where you are going now. One thing we do have to remember is that the redemption process as explained in Biblical context is actually one that comes out of the slave market.
                  1. Bought out of slavery
                  2. Bought out of slavery never to be sold back into it again
                  3. Set Loose
                  4. The price has been paid.
                  Now granted, redeemed and saved are two different words but they still have practically the same future.

Each of these has a definite Greek translation and my Greek spelling and contextual translation and spelling is a bit wanting to say the least as it was my least favorite class in seminary. Perhaps Origen might slide by to help us out a bit for that is definitely in his wheel house.

Either way, your first sentence is one that I do absolutely enjoy for indeed, we, the joint heirs with Christ to the kingdom of heaven, are a part of Him just as the wife is to the husband.

God Bless.......Bobby

Comment>

Hello my friend
                    I know what you mean.
                    My seminary experience is also in years gone by.
                    I believe we would do well to agree to disagree.
                    God bless you ☺
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap