Who Am I?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Am I?

Though I go to an free will independent Baptist Church but am not Arminian, I am not a Baptist there, though I believe in most of their other doctrines. If I were to go to a Reformed Church as this forum defines Reformed and believe not in the eschatology of this body, I am not Reformed, though I believe in most of the doctrines there. If I were to go to main line Protestant denominations and am not a liberal, I am none of those, for I am not a liberal. Though I have been a Christian since 1987 and nearly all my theology comes from Scripture alone, I trust in the Holy Spirit to teach me proper instruction in His good time, as I continue to be educated in His word.

I have a growing personal relationship with Jesus, all this by His grace, not that I am better than anyone else. Indeed, I am less educated than many who write commentaries, though I have written one myself. I use the word of God as my strength and my shield against evil and the evil one, though by my own weakness, I lose an occasional battle. I am especially poor in areas of extra Biblical discourse due to lack of education in those areas.

I love my fellow man in the sense that it pains me to show sound doctrine that cannot be refuted, yet it is rejected. This means that certain people who read the Bible and do not believe in what it teaches, but claim they do, are self-deceived, and I know that (I think they know it too) and I have not the power to bring them to the truth, as only God can do that. It wears on me out of my love for my fellow man. I wish to edify and stop false doctrine in its tracks. I want to be known as one whose uses the Comforter to comfort and to help others as well as myself. I don't want to be known as a denomination.

Denominations are man-made contrivances as what man believes is a solution to our differences, but we are wrong. They divide. The bringing together is in all believing in the same things in the Bible, as the Bible teaches, not as man necessarily would teach. The Bible is not to be tested, but the teachings of man must be, for as the Bible says, our deeds are evil continually. Romans 7:18 KJV - “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good, I find not." So our good works as believers can only come from one other place: God who dwells in the heart of every true believer.

I am not a denomination, in spite of the fact that the church I presently attend is one. I am a Christian. Any label makers who try to tie me into some camp, this will fall on deaf ears. I have not read Arminius or Calvin, so I lay no claim to be either, but I know that the Bible does not teach that we have free will to come to salvation of our own volition, but that it took a total act of God to make me a believer from before the world began (Revelation 17:8 KJV). The Bible must be used first, last, and always to hear, test, and discern what I am told in the way of doctrine. The Apostolic letters may have been written to early church leaders, but they are meant to be followed by everyone, and we are not to surrender ourselves to the teachings of others without testing their Biblical merit. This is what I endeavor to do. Not by denomination, which is faulty, but by the Bible, which is the inerrant, infallible word of God. Just as a matter of answering curiosity, I prefer the KJV and know little about the others, only I don't want to trust them, except maybe the Geneva Bible.
    Last edited by Stratcat; 03-28-2015, 12:21 PM.

You are struggling with one of the inherent contradictions of Protestantism.

The Bible (at least in its original texts) may be the inerrant and infallible word of God. But your personal interpretations are not.

Maybe people who reject your version of sound doctrine are rejecting your interpretations of scripture.

You say “certain people who read the Bible and do not believe in what it teaches, but claim they do, are self-deceived” but how can you be sure you are not self decived about what the Bible teaches?
    Comment>

I do what it says. I let the Holy Spirit teach me from the Scriptures, whereby we need no man to teach us for the same who anoints us teaches us all things. Further, I do invite and am exposed to guidance and preaching, and that is one of the reasons why I'm here... to learn from others. But the Bible still has to be the filter that judges what I hear or read, not the interpretation of someone else. Jesus said many will come to Him saying "Lord, Lord...", self-deceived, whereby He says, "Go away ye that work iniquity, I never knew you." Protestantism is not the problem. In fact, I know more about Catholicism than most Catholics I know. You are exceptionally well-read, but I disagree with your interpretations on some items, not all. If I let every Tom, Dick and Harry tell me "straight" I would be as a ship in a storm, being tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine. They can't all be right. I disagree with RCC. Maybe those people are wrong who reject my teachings from the word, but since you weren't there and I left no anecdote, we might as well not speculate on who is be wrong. We can know from the Bible. I ran into a priest that puts Catholic tradition ahead of Scriptures. Is this SOP with the church?
      Comment>

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
        I do what it says. I let the Holy Spirit teach me from the Scriptures, whereby we need no man to teach us for the same who anoints us teaches us all things. Further, I do invite and am exposed to guidance and preaching, and that is one of the reasons why I'm here... to learn from others. But the Bible still has to be the filter that judges what I hear or read, not the interpretation of someone else. Jesus said many will come to Him saying "Lord, Lord...", self-deceived, whereby He says, "Go away ye that work iniquity, I never knew you." Protestantism is not the problem. In fact, I know more about Catholicism than most Catholics I know. You are exceptionally well-read, but I disagree with your interpretations on some items, not all. If I let every Tom, Dick and Harry tell me "straight" I would be as a ship in a storm, being tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine. They can't all be right. I disagree with RCC. Maybe those people are wrong who reject my teachings from the word, but since you weren't there and I left no anecdote, we might as well not speculate on who is be wrong. We can know from the Bible. I ran into a priest that puts Catholic tradition ahead of Scriptures. Is this SOP with the church?
        You may think that the Holy Spirit teaches you personally but then probably so did Luther, Calvin, Zwingli, Knox, Wesley etc. Protestantism is a mess, with 30,000 different denominations with conflicting doctrines, all believing they are personally led by the Holy Spirit. The Bible gives no such assurance to individual Christians. Jesus promised the apostles, and by extension to their successors, that they would be led into all truth. Such was necessary to protect the Church from error, but no such promise was made to individual Christians. I find it odd that Protestants will bridle at the mere suggestion of papal infallibility yet claim they are infallibly led into the truth themselves.

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
        I disagree with RCC. Maybe those people are wrong who reject my teachings from the word, but since you weren't there and I left no anecdote, we might as well not speculate on who is be wrong. We can know from the Bible. I ran into a priest that puts Catholic tradition ahead of Scriptures. Is this SOP with the church?
        An anecdotal claim. The Catholic Church does not put Tradition over Scripture and I suggest you misunderstood the priest.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap