When they said the CofE was conservative....

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When they said the CofE was conservative....

I'm sorry but this story, in all its nit-picking glory, shows exactly how popular change is in the Church of England. The vicar put a plastic table and chairs in the church for children during the service. Certain parishoners have raised an uproar and objected on the grounds of 'clergy misconduct'. After all, they did without it for 900 years, and they don't need to go changing things now!
    A storm has erupted after a vicar installed a children's table and chairs in a 12th century church.

I read enough when I read this: "A vicar has found herself"
    Last edited by thatbrian; 03-06-2017, 05:09 PM.
    Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post
      I read enough when I read this, "A vicar has found herself"
      I agree. If the church members are protesting the furniture and not the fact that they have a woman vicar they are straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post

I agree. If the church members are protesting the furniture and not the fact that they have a woman vicar they are straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel.
        Yes. And, the irony is, it's the female clergy who would have put the kids furniture there. A man (probably) wouldn't have done that.
        Comment>

Isn't there a Biblical guideline that says a pastor, bishop, etc. leader of the church standing behind the pulpit is to be the husband of one wife -- that narrows the field to Men behind that pulpit. Would not allow for a woman. Women are great teachers for women's Bible studies. Women's Bible conferences.

If there are not enough children in the congregation to use the small table with 4 chairs -- then maybe they need to preach so as to attract more people with kids -- after all -- the children are the future adult church members. I'd be More concerned about what the vicar is teaching the congregation.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
            I'd be More concerned about what the vicar is teaching the congregation.
            My guess is that she is teaching them nothing of substance. The typical homily from these types ends with the punchline, "now go and be nice to one another".
            Comment>

Also the name of the church is a disaster. "St Mary the Virgin Church." What sort of church name is that? There is only one church in the bible, the "Church of God", 1 Cor 1.2 and the head of the church is Christ Eph 5.23.
              Comment>

Originally posted by outlawState View Post
                Also the name of the church is a disaster. "St Mary the Virgin Church." What sort of church name is that? There is only one church in the bible, the "Church of God", 1 Cor 1.2 and the head of the church is Christ Eph 5.23.
                So the Anglican church should be called the Church of God,
                the Catholic church should be called the Church of God,
                the Baptist church should be called the Church of God,
                the Methodist church should be called the Church of God,
                the Presbyterian church should be called the Church of God,

and all within a few streets of one another. It could start to get a bit confusing, couldn't it?

Comment>

Originally posted by ThyWordisTruth View Post

So the Anglican church should be called the Church of God,
                  the Catholic church should be called the Church of God,
                  the Baptist church should be called the Church of God,
                  the Methodist church should be called the Church of God,
                  the Presbyterian church should be called the Church of God,

and all within a few streets of one another. It could start to get a bit confusing, couldn't it?

The Biblical example is that churches are named after cities, and that seems best.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by outlawState View Post
                    Yes. the head of the church Is Jesus Christ.
                    Comment>

The Biblical example is that churches are named after cities, and that seems best.

The churches in Asia Minor were -- that's where we get the names of the books of the New Testament -- Galatia, Ephesus, Corinth, Rome -- but now days we have various names given -- FBC (1st Baptist Church) in various towns -- Memorial Baptist, Crestview Baptist, Victory Baptist , etc. Those are the names of some that I"ve gone to over the years. And those are not the names of the towns they are in. So it would appear to be the choice of the people who start the church.
                      Comment>

Re: post #9 My quote thing won't do what it's supposed to do presently -- but -- since we Do have various denominations these days -- it Does help to clarify what denomination a church belongs to. Thus "St.Paul's Lutheran Church" // First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio. etc.
                        Comment>

Re: post #9 My quote thing won't do what it's supposed to do presently -- but -- since we Do have various denominations these days -- it Does help to clarify what denomination a church belongs to. Thus "St.Paul's Lutheran Church" // First Presbyterian Church of San Antonio. etc.
                          Oops -- that Should have been referring to #8 , not #9.
                          Comment>

So it would appear to be the choice of the people who start the church.
                            Their choices are wrong, is my point.
                            Comment>

Their choices are wrong, is my point.
                              Why are their choices wrong?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap