Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

"how" Jesus saves

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"how" Jesus saves

i saw this question on a different forum ; and it drew my interest
    i even added it to the forum i usually go to

but i was shocked by the answers that followed

it wasn't that they were wrong ; it was in the fact no one addressed the how

please feel free to ignore this topic ; but if you do have an explanation on the "how"
    i would like to hear it

Hello Patrick, and welcome to Christforums!

First, I think your question is an outstanding one. My first thoughts are that Salvation is accomplished by the almighty power of our Triune God. Having said that, we must recognize each role in the Persons of the Trinity. The Father chose a people, Jesus - The Son died for them, and the Holy Spirit makes Christ's death effective by bringing the elect to faith and repentance, enabling and causing them to willingly obey the Gospel (monergism).

If that is not satisfactory, perhaps we need to address the office or rather the mediatorial office of Jesus Christ - 1 Timothy 2:5. The "How" seemingly is closely connected between belief and obedience in John 3:36 - Jesus' atonement (substitutionary) is limited to a particular people, only those who believe in Him receive eternal life; those who do not obey Him remain under God's wrath. In Luke 23:34 Jesus said, Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. By this expression Christ gave evidence that He was the sacrificial lamb as Isaiah the prophet had foretold - Isaiah 53:7. When Jesus was moved by compassion to ask forgiveness from God on behalf of His persecutors (soldiers and religious leaders) on the crucifix, He presented Himself as not only the mediator but also an intercessor for not only them, but the people afterwards that drank by faith the blood which they had shed.

Hopefully others will chime in on this discussion, but by all means please share your thoughts as well!

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

We can answer the question of how Jesus saves from the covenantal view described in Scripture. The Covenant of Works is the covenant God made with Adam before the Fall. God's dealing with Adam before the Fall has all the ingredients of a covenant and warrants it to be called the Covenant of Works. As described in Genesis 1, the parties consist of God as the Creator and Lord and Adam as the representative head of humanity, the creature and servant. Adam was created in the state of blessing. The promise of the covenant is his permanent confirmation in this state of blessing if he remains obedient to God, particularly in obeying God not to eat the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the middle of the garden. The penalty if Adam disobeys this prohibition is death: spiritual, bodily and eternal. The tree of life serves as the sign of the covenant holding out the promise of eternal blessedness that Adam and his posterity would be confirmed in should he passed the probationary test.
      In addition to the presence of the parties of the covenant, there are two reasons that support the concept of the Covenant of Works. First, in Romans 5:12-21 (cf. I Corinthians 15:22), Paul describes a parallel between Adam and Christ the second Adam. Adam sinned in the garden and all his posterity sins in him and with him and is cursed with him (Rom 5:12, "Just as sin enters the world through the one man and death through sin and in this way death came to all men"). Christ in his role as the Mediator of the new covenant (Heb 9:15-26) fulfills all the requirements that Adam fails to fulfill. The parallel suggests that Adam was under a covenant before the Fall. Hosea 6:7 speaks of Adam breaking God's covenant. The argument that Adam here refers to a place is not convincing due to lack of correlation to the context of the passage. The only other two options to explain what Adam refers to is either humanity or the historical Adam. Both options support the concept of the Covenant of Works even if Adam refers to humanity, since when Adam broke the covenant, all his posterity fell with him as Adam is their representative head.
      The importance of the Covenant of Works can be seen in the fact that it is established to protect the Covenant of Grace. If there is no Fall or sin, there is no grace. God exercises mercy in Christ who perfectly fulfills all the requirements.in the Covenant of Grace to the ill-deserving humanity as a result of them breaking the Covenant of Works. We are saved by works, not our own works but Christ's works in his passive and active obedience.
      The work of Christ in the Covenant of Grace is rooted in the Covenant of redemption, which is a plan of redemption contained in the eternal Intra-Trinitarian decrees of God in the form of agreement made between the Father and the Son whose execution involves the Holy Spirit as well. According to Berkhoff, the requirements of the covenant consist of the Father giving the Son a human nature, placing him under the Law in order that he may become the surety (representative head) of his people rendering the required perfect (active and passive) obedience to the Father and bearing the penalty of their sins. The Son is then to apply the effects of his redemptive work to his people through the Holy Spirit. The Father promises all that is necessary for the completion of the Son's tasks by pouring out the full-measure of the Spirit. He also promises the Son deliverance from death, destruction of Satan and the establishment of God's Kingdom under the Son's rule. Embedded in these promises are the promises to give the Son all power and authority as well as his seed consisting of multitudes of people from all nations.
      Comment>

Hello, Patrick and welcome. I agree with the previous posts, and was about to post the first paragraph of William's post, but he beat me to it. How we are saved has everything to do with the Gospel, and the wrong Gospel leads to damnation and curses from God. We know that the Bible teaches us that God predestined who shall be saved from the beginning of the world, and that those who are to be saved have their names in the Lamb's book of Life, written from the foundation of the world - Revelation 17:8. Those whose names are not found in this book go to perdition. Jesus also said in John 15:16-19 that we have not chosen Him but that He chose us. Even in the OT, Psalm 65:4 tells us that God has chosen us and causes us to come unto Him. In John 6, all that come to Him He will in no wise cast out. There are plenty more, but this brings to me my point: the Bible is so clear that we do not come to Christ of our free will, but rather we come to Christ by His will and that we cannot come to Him of our own. This is election, and is unconditional. The Bible is so clear on this that I would have to say that those who do not accept the doctrine of unconditional election do not believe in the Bible. Free will to choose salvation is simply not taught in the Bible, and to claim it is, is lying deceit. Arminian believers do not believe in the Bible. They invent their own interpretation of it, but do not accept what God teaches. Sometime it is a matter of ignorance on their part, that they are new to the faith and have not covered that ground yet, but once shown, better believe what the Bible says or they are not believers. Those who know the Bible and don't believe the doctrine of unconditional election are also nonbelievers. They may say that they believe in Jesus is the only way to salvation and that they believe on Him, but if they truly believed on Him, why do they not believe what He teaches? Since they don't, they are nonbelievers and don't accept how it is we are saved according to the Bible. We are the seed of God, who believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. The unbelievers are the seed of the devil and all go to hell. God is not willing that any (of His seed) should perish, and indeed none do. Read the parable of the wheat and the tares in Matthew 13:24-33, and about the seeds of the devil in John 8:34-58, where their father is the devil. There are two kinds of seeds. You will notice that Jesus frequently refers to the human race as "seeds". One cannot become another. We are what we are. We are saved if we are a wheat seed of God and not a tare seed of satan. If you are a believer, you will understand this and much more about God as you develop your personal relationship with Him. Also read Ephesians 2:8-10. God bless.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap