Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

Why do non-catholics take the words of the Pope so seriously?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do non-catholics take the words of the Pope so seriously?

Most of the Christians I've been around are not Catholics. Yet they seem to extremely into everything the Pope says. It seems to me that as a man the Pope is obviously not infallible and I can't quite understand why so many people put him up on a pedestal.

I am a Protestant believer and this has never been my experience. Perhaps your circle of friends are more interested in what the Pope has to say than mine.
    Comment>

I agree with BookishGirl. Any non Catholic I know gives no second thought to the pope. Although it is quite scary that his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible.
      Comment>

Most people, regardless of their religious affiliation, recognize that the Pope is an influential world figure, so there is a certain amount of respect there. Non-Catholic Christians may also consider that the Pope can have a significant effect on the world's opinion of Christians in general, since non-Christians often lump all Christians together.

There is also the fact that conservative Protestants and Catholics may share some values and are sometimes on the same side in political or social issues, such as gay marriage, abortion, and the place of religion in society.

I am not personally familiar with any Protestants who look to the Pope as their spiritual leader, however, and I don't believe that practice is widespread.
        Last edited by Ken Anderson; 07-08-2016, 09:05 PM.
        Comment>

Originally posted by chelle318 View Post
          Although it is quite scary that his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible.
          What do you mean by "his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible."?
          I think you are wrong but perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by that.

Comment>

Maybe that depends on his personality. Some popes were very influential, others, however, were not really attracting and keeping their audience present. I like the current pope. He's doing everything to raise the popularity, status, and importance of his Church in society.
            Comment>

Originally posted by Ken Anderson View Post
              Most people, regardless of their religious affiliation, recognize that the Pope is an influential world figure, so there is a certain amount of respect there. Non-Catholic Christians may also consider that the Pope can have a significant effect on the world's opinion of Christian in general, since non-Christians often lump all Christians together.

There is also the fact that conservative Protestants and Catholics may share some values and are sometimes on the same side in political or social issues, such as gay marriage, abortion, and the place of religion in society.

I am not personally familiar with any Protestants who look to the Pope as their spiritual leader, however, and I don't believe that practice is widespread.
              Yeah I think you're right there about how the Pope is sort of a representative of Christians worldwide regardless of denomination. While non-catholics probably don't look to his words as spiritual guidance, it makes them feel good to know that he is representing the people of the religion well.
              Comment>

The Pope isn't the representative of Christians. He's the head of the Roman Catholic church and to be honest non-Catholics don't really care if the Pope is a good representative of Christianity or not because there exists irreconcilable differences between the Roman Catholic church and protestants.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                  The Pope isn't the representative of Christians. He's the head of the Roman Catholic church and to be honest non-Catholics don't really care if the Pope is a good representative of Christianity or not because there exists irreconcilable differences between the Roman Catholic church and protestants.
                  There are definitely some people who care about how the Pope represents Christianity. I've met some of them. But yeah I really don't think they should.
                  Comment>

There may be many elements to that, as the current pope seem to have a political talent and has a way with words when commenting current events which make him attract attention. Former Popes weren't really like that.

Also you should consider that the Vatican is a political entity with formal embassies all over the planet and a seat at the UN, so that also plays, because the pope is often more or less doing politics more than religion. There is also some sort of prestige attached to the Vatican being in Rome and Italy, it's even a popular touristic destination for people of all faiths.

I don't experience the same thing as you but maybe people in your area feel that the pope is a politically-significant voice that globally speaks for Christians (when it comes to politics)
                    Comment>

I believe that when Jesus was crucified, the veil was ripped from top to bottom (meaning it was God who ripped it.) There is no barrier or need for any sort of high priest to ask for forgiveness on our behalf with the new testament. I think people who are not catholics put much into what the pope says simply because his words or actions can influence millions and millions of people.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by CarlosTL View Post
                        There may be many elements to that, as the current pope seem to have a political talent and has a way with words when commenting current events which make him attract attention. Former Popes weren't really like that.

Also you should consider that the Vatican is a political entity with formal embassies all over the planet and a seat at the UN, so that also plays, because the pope is often more or less doing politics more than religion. There is also some sort of prestige attached to the Vatican being in Rome and Italy, it's even a popular touristic destination for people of all faiths.

I don't experience the same thing as you but maybe people in your area feel that the pope is a politically-significant voice that globally speaks for Christians (when it comes to politics)
                        Technically it's the Holy See, not the Vatican, that has diplomatic missions in other countries, and has "observer status" at the UN. It is not a member.

I looked that up on Wikipedia. You could have done the same.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

Technically it's the Holy See, not the Vatican, that has diplomatic missions in other countries, and has "observer status" at the UN. It is not a member.

I looked that up on Wikipedia. You could have done the same.
                          That attitude is not helpful. Telling people to look it up, or showing irritation at them asking here instead is just rude. The whole point of a Forum is a social format for the exchange of ideas and information. Some people get more from or just learn better from asking a question in a forum than from looking at a Wikipedia article and they shouldn't be disparaged for it.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Bede View Post

What do you mean by "his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible."?
                            I think you are wrong but perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by that.
                            I have been told by my Catholic family and I have also done studies. Tradition over rules Biblical doctrine in the Catholic church. Maybe not every Catholic church, but from what I understand it is taught to follow tradition instead of the Bible if the two contradict.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by nytegeek View Post

That attitude is not helpful. Telling people to look it up, or showing irritation at them asking here instead is just rude. The whole point of a Forum is a social format for the exchange of ideas and information. Some people get more from or just learn better from asking a question in a forum than from looking at a Wikipedia article and they shouldn't be disparaged for it.
                              Carlos didn't ask a question. He just presented "facts" that were incorrect and that some very basic checking would have shown him that.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap