Faith discussions: improve your walk with the Lord, build up your prayer life, grow in your faith, love others in your church, and other general faith type discussions.

God Encounters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Encounters

I'm always seeking stories of recent God/Holy Spirit encounters. I think Christians are often intimidated by the word "testimony" - taking it to mean the life-story you've got that points others to Jesus.

When I think of the word "testimony" though - I hope that mine is ever changing. I don't have some great grand conversion story, personally, but I have a daily walk that is always changing and evolving, and I consider "What is God doing in your life right now," a very important question of my testimony.

It is hard to get believers to talk about the here and now.

So, let's go.

No big long how you came to Christ originally stories.

What's God doing in your life right now?

Originally posted by clairebeautiful View Post
    I don't have some great grand conversion story, personally, but I have a daily walk that is always changing and evolving, and I consider "What is God doing in your life right now," a very important question of my testimony.
    Most that have grown up as Covenant children do not have a conversion story. They have believed as far back as they can remember. Sure, some falter, have moments of rebellion, but isn't it interesting that the current trend in Christianity seemingly focuses in on these kinds of testimonies? There is much wisdom in "obedience" and right upbringing rather than personal life experience and rebellion.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I think most people want to experience something out of the ordinary like seeing a burning bush or seeing a vision of Jesus. But there are numerous ways God can speak to us and make us change our ways. Many of us are so deaf that we never hear the still small voice. God calling us back to him. It's more than conscience making you feel guilty when you do something wrong. That said, I've been praying for peace for some time now. I had so many things that worried me but nothing perturbs me anymore. Thought I haven't been right with God for quite some time, this answer to my prayer is drawing me closer to Him.
      Comment>

People think that God's work is turning coal into gold, or turning the storm into a sunny day instantly. I think God's work can be seen in the smallest things. A sudden good mood even after a long stressful day, your luck turning after a series of unfortunate events, seeing someone smile even after all the hardships they have faced. That's where God works most. The simple things that make our daily lives better.
        Comment>

Well I don't have a "conversion" story, but I do have a testimony, one that I am not certain if I will ever openly share. I don't think it's fair to say these moments are given to those who have not had a right upbringing or have been in rebellion. Everyone has a different personal experience and life circumstance. Sometimes I think if people have a had a relatively normal upbringing in our modern society they find it hard to understand the angst and suffering of others who have lived or witnessed a barrage of unjust tragedies that might have them questioning the existence of God in their personal life - most especially if they have been good and obedient. Worse is the view that somehow those people deserved their suffering in some way.

My experience has been that if you reach out in earnestness, Jesus and the Holy Spirit will meet you where you're at, and give you what you need. Some people really don't need a burning bush moment, although they may want it.

So to answer your question "what's God doing in your life right now?" He is giving me peace, and a chance to rest and enjoy what I have been given.

Comment>

Originally posted by Marie View Post
            Well I don't have a "conversion" story, but I do have a testimony, one that I am not certain if I will ever openly share.
            tes·ti·mo·ny
            ˈtestəˌmōnē/
            nouna formal written or spoken statement, especially one given in a court of law.

synonyms:
            evidence, sworn statement, attestation, affidavit;

evidence or proof provided by the existence or appearance of something.

"his blackened finger was testimony to the fact that he had played in pain"

synonyms: testament to, proof of, evidence of, attestation to, witness to;

a public recounting of a religious conversion or experience.

I don't know if it is considered a testimony unless it is made public. (Semantics. Forgive me. I taught HS English for a number of years.)

Anyway, I hope you receive strength and courage to share. Maybe not here. But somewhere.

I feel like I'm sitting back and watching as the world evolves into this place of instant gratification, global connections, and the growing acceptance of TMI. Meanwhile, I'm surrounded by believers who are afraid to talk about the hope that lies inside them as it applies in the here and now. And I get it. Many feel unworthy. Many feel like their story pales in comparison to others. Sharing prayer requests in small groups has become the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game, because it is so much easier to pray for a stranger with cancer than share that I'm dealing with hating my 3 year old, or whatever.

This crazy thing called The Internet has created narcissists of us all, and amped up our insecurity tenfold, because comparison is no longer just in our heads. It's all over our screens.

Anyway. I feel like there could be a shift in that insecurity, if more people would just let it go and start the movement.
            Comment>

To answer my own question though - as I ramble on...

I've been praying for a dear friend for many years. She's not a believer. But she's a friend. And I love her.

I've been praying for a crisis in her life that would open a space inside her to realize a deeper need. And I've been praying for the Holy Spirit to move in her - and through me, if necessary. So she's having a crisis. And I'm expectant, and ready, and on my knees.

So that's what's happening here.

Also - always - raising four young kids, there are daily battles and daily victories. The most recent is with my 9yo, who has had a major (positive) attitude adjustment in recent weeks, and I'm glorifying God as we move forward with her.
              Comment>

You know I feel really bad about this. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. I know something I need to work on is how to express my truth without offending others.

Testimony is also:

Originally posted by clairebeautiful View Post
                tes·ti·mo·ny[*] evidence or proof provided by the existence or appearance of something.
                such as something which shows proof of, evidence of, is a testament of the power and existence of, for example the Holy Spirit, heaven, etc. So perhaps I phrased my sentence wrong.

I don't think there is a point to testament stories being shared randomly and openly. As you stated, we live in a world of offering TMI. Some experiences are deeply personal and feel sacred, and I don't think it's wise to offer them openly to unbelievers or in a place where they can get ripped apart and shredded. Sharing my testimony is not going to convert anyone, rather it might add to the view by some unbelievers that some Christians are nuts.

If there is a time and place where my story will be of use and help someone, then I know I will (and have) felt prompted by the Holy Spirit to share it then. But there's no point to just offer it randomly to be thrown into the pile with others, to be compared and contrasted, to make others feel inferior or superior, etc. Really I feel our main focus should first be inward, on our own personal relationship with Christ.

Comment>
                Working...
                X
                Articles - News - SiteMap