Image of God (In 90 seconds)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image of God (In 90 seconds)

William you have found a valuable source. Ryan Reeves has a PhD in Historical Theology from Cambridge University and teaches at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. I have listen to most of videos and found them very informative. I like this video but I feel it is just a little bit incomplete. But on the other hand, how much can one cover 90 seconds. However, he did touch upon it.

In both Mesopotamia and Egypt culture it was only the king who was the image of (a) god. For example, the name Tutankhamen means "living image of (the god) Amun." In Mesopotamia kings were often refered to as the image of Bel, or Shamash, or Marduk. This special status was primarily held only by kings.
    That is what makes Gen. 1:27 so different, so unique. As I have said before, Gen. 1 functions as a polemic against the gods of the other nations. Culturally this was Earth shattering for the nations and their so-called divine kings. Not only were their gods not really gods at all but neither were there kings. The truth was that all human being were created in the image of the GOD.
    Last edited by Origen; 12-31-2015, 02:16 PM.
    Comment>

Check this video on Calvin and Servetus.

Comment>

I've undeerstood that the emage of G-d means just it that as He is male AND female, so are we - or should be.
        This content is in every ben adam, human being, meaning in every male: chromosomes X and Y, while in females only X.

A broader view is being of G-d's likeness. So that includes those other parts mentioned in the video.

But in Gen. 4:1 through 5 writes "This is the book of the generations of Adam.
        In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
        Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam,
        in the day when they were created.

And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years,
        and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image;
        and called his name Seth:"

Things got twisted. The adam that was made בצלמנו כדמותנו in our image, after our likeness
        got a son בדמותו כצלמו in his own likeness, after his image.
        And everybody after that is born in his father's likeness and after his father's image.

So, no one is G-d's image. No one is no good by birth. Rom 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;";
        short of the image of G-d AND short of G-d's likeness.

Comment>

I was always told that we were made to be like parts of God and angels got the other parts. I like how this explained how we are all worthy of respect. The historical notes reminded me of one of the French Kings who tried to claim he was the son of Venus and would decorate with dolphins everywhere. Thanks for uploading.
          Comment>

I just read about an interesting article, how in muslim religious art you can't really imagine God in any way. The avoid any body, face or even lined representation of their god, because attributes are not worth of describing HIM.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap