Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan 5:29-31

Daniel 5:29-31 King James Version (KJV)
    29 Then commanded Belshazzar, and they clothed Daniel with scarlet, and put a chain of gold about his neck, and made a proclamation concerning him, that he should be the third ruler in the kingdom.
    30 In that night was Belshazzar the king of the Chaldeans slain.
    31 And Darius the Median took the kingdom, being about threescore and two years old.

Scripture Daniel 5:29-31 (ISR)

29Then Bĕlshatstsar gave orders, and they robed Dani’ĕl in purple and put a chain of gold around his neck, and they proclaimed concerning him that he is the third ruler in the reign.
    30In that night Bĕlshatstsar, sovereign of the Chaldeans, was slain.
    31And Dareyawesh the Mede took over the reign, being about sixty-two years old.

Copyright 2009 © Institute for Scripture Research. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

29 We know from scripture because Belshazzar was second the first was in the fields living as an ox. Daniel was honored simply because he gave and served with what God gave him, and by serving God we will find honor given to us thru His grace.

30-31 So Belshazzar was killed this put Daniel in charge because the king was not of sound mind this always left the kingdom very weak because Daniel just was given control. That is why the Medes took the kingdom over because it was in a sense of chaos.

Hi Clark, you have certainly chosen to discuss one of the most interesting chapters in the Bible. Though I don't believe there is a single verse in Chapter 5 that is not worth taking time to study, I find the pronouncement from Daniel to King Belshazzar to be a particularly interesting one, especially in light of where our world seems determined to allow itself to be led these days.
    17 Then Daniel answered and said before the king, “Keep your gifts for yourself or give your rewards to someone else; however, I will read the inscription to the king and make the interpretation known to him.
    18 “O king, the Most High God granted sovereignty, grandeur, glory and majesty to Nebuchadnezzar your father.
    19 “Because of the grandeur which He bestowed on him, all the peoples, nations and men of every language feared and trembled before him; whomever he wished he killed and whomever he wished he spared alive; and whomever he wished he elevated and whomever he wished he humbled.
    20 "But when his heart was lifted up and his spirit became so proud that he behaved arrogantly, he was deposed from his royal throne and his glory was taken away from him.
    21 "He was also driven away from mankind, and his heart was made like that of beasts, and his dwelling place was with the wild donkeys. He was given grass to eat like cattle, and his body was drenched with the dew of heaven until he recognized that the Most High God is ruler over the realm of mankind and that He sets over it whomever He wishes.
    22 "Yet you, his son, Belshazzar, have not humbled your heart, even though you knew all this,
    23 but you have exalted yourself against the Lord of heaven..... ~Daniel 5 (NASB)
    If you would be so kind, I'm having a bit of trouble following the meaning of your commentary which says: "29 We know from scripture because Belshazzar was second the first was in the fields living as an ox." Would you mind elaborating just a bit?

Also, I know that the King fulfilled his promise to Daniel and made him the 3rd most powerful ruler in his Kingdom, but I don't believe Daniel was ever put "in charge", was he, especially since Belshazzar's kingdom fell that very night and was taken over of by Darius the Mede? Perhaps I've forgotten however. Does the Bible tell us that Daniel became ruler in King Belshazzar's place at that point, even for a short time?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Originally posted by clark thompson View Post
      We know from scripture because Belshazzar was second the first was in the fields living as an ox.
      This incident took place after Nebuchadnezzar's death. Belshazzar's father was Nabonidus and he was the actual king. Nebuchadnezzar was actually the grandfather of Belshazzar. He was called his father because the Hebrew language has no word for grandfather and the word father is applied to all male ancestors.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Nabodinus according to some history books was a "deranged King" Because he didn't honor the Babylonian gods, his rule was disputed and his son Belshazzar was made regent. He Nabodinus been King only for five years at that time.
        Comment>

There is an error in 'perception' when reading the story of Daniel. It it not a flaw in the text, but it presents a series of events that happened across such a long span of time in just a few chapters, so we (the reader) get a distorted mental image. Someone once quipped that the miracle in the story of Daniel and the Lions was not that the lions did not eat him, but that a man in his seventies survived the fall into the pit without breaking a hip (we always imagine Daniel as a boy in the Lion's Den).

What is in the story, but not abundantly clear is that when Darius takes over, Daniel has had a long, successful career at the court of Nebuchadnezzar, been exiled and forgotten by the later court (which extra-biblical tradition suggests is where the teaching that eventually leads the Magi to Bethlehem has its roots) and is about to be recalled to Court for a second career. A whispering voice setting the stage for the great events of later books like Ester and Jeremiah.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap