The Lord's Prayer, how do you say it ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lord's Prayer, how do you say it ?

I remember learning the Lord's prayer as a young child, and we often would recite it in Sunday School. When saying it, I remember always saying "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven".
    However, I just was reading it online, and it now reads "IN earth" instead of "ON earth".

And while we are on this topic, does anyone know where it says that " the lion shall lie down with the lamb" ? I was sure I remembered that as well; but no, it says the wolf shall lie down with the lamb.
    How did you learn these verses ?

The Lords prayer

Actually Lord's prayer is a style how to pray not what to pray.Our priority of pray should be like this:
    1) Glorify God first for all he had done to you and is doing for you.
    2) Then admire his will as his will is good for all believers by agreeing that his will will be done.
    3) Then demand the coming of kingdom.
    4) Then ask what you want but not forget to ask the strength to resist the devil and forgiveness of all your trespasses.
    5) Then thank him for listening to your prayer and doing the best stuff for you from his infinite thinking.
    Comment>

I do understand what you are saying, and I agree that it was given to us as a method which we should use, and not meant to be our word-for-word prayer. However, my question is whether that word has been changed ? I remember saying the prayer as a child, and we always said "on earth" and not "in earth"; but now it reads differently.
      The point is that if some of the words in the Bible have been changed, what other words------ that might be important------could have been changed as well. So, my question was not about the Lord'ss Prayer specfically, but just to ask, how is it written in YOUR Bible, and is it the same way as you remember learning it ?
      Did everyone else learn it by saying "in earth" and not "on earth" like I learned it ?
      Comment>

God knows your heart. When you pray not only you pray but Holy Spirit knowing your also joins you. Therefore, I doesn't matter whether its on earth or in earth , it means the same for Lord. There's difference because different translations have used different words for the synonyms for the manuscripts. Although the NIV Bible which I use ,use on earth.
        Comment>

It's just the translation that differs. Literally it's "upon" earth. The Greek word used is epi, which means upon. And "in" heaven. The Greek word is "en" translated "in".

However I agree with others advising to pray in the Spirit and not simply in letter. At the end of the same chapter (Mt 5) Jesus says, "And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. " And yet many violate this principle (Catholics primarily of all) by repeating this prayer in letter with vain repetitions as in the "Rosary" or in the Catholic act of Contrition, thinking that many repetitions of these words somehow will push the right buttons to get what they want.
          Comment>

Originally posted by bcbsr View Post
            " And yet many violate this principle (Catholics primarily of all) by repeating this prayer in letter with vain repetitions as in the "Rosary" or in the Catholic act of Contrition, thinking that many repetitions of these words somehow will push the right buttons to get what they want.
            I agree.
            Comment>

What difference does it make anyway? "In earth" and "on earth" mean the same thing, don't they?
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                What difference does it make anyway? "In earth" and "on earth" mean the same thing, don't they?
                This is true; but again, it is not the point of the thread.
                The thing that concerns me is that if a few words are changed, and it is still the same KJV translation of the Bible, then what other words are also changed ? This is not the only hing that is different now, it is only one example. I watched a video that shows other places where words have been changed, and I can post it if others would like to watch it, too.
                My KJV Bible used to say that you should not put new wine in old wineskins, or the wineskins would break and the wine would be lost (or words to that effect); and now it says you should not put new wine in old BOTTLES , or they will break.
                Again, we still can understand what is being said regardless of which word is used, just like in the Lord's Prayer; however, it worries me that the words should change when it is the same translation of the Bible, and not one of the modern translations which have a lot of different words to get the meaning across.
                Comment>

Originally posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
                  The thing that concerns me is that if a few words are changed, and it is still the same KJV translation of the Bible, then what other words are also changed ? This is not the only hing that is different now, it is only one example. I watched a video that shows other places where words have been changed, and I can post it if others would like to watch it, too.
                  My KJV Bible used to say that you should not put new wine in old wineskins, or the wineskins would break and the wine would be lost (or words to that effect); and now it says you should not put new wine in old BOTTLES , or they will break.
                  Again, we still can understand what is being said regardless of which word is used, just like in the Lord's Prayer; however, it worries me that the words should change when it is the same translation of the Bible, and not one of the modern translations which have a lot of different words to get the meaning across.
                  In both cases (i.e. Matt. and Luke) the Greek prepositions are the same.

ἐν = in

ἐπὶ = on

Comment>

Originally posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
                    The thing that concerns me is that if a few words are changed, and it is still the same KJV translation of the Bible, then what other words are also changed ?
                    There is a translation called the New King James Bible. Is it possible that you are using this instead of the original KJV?
                    Clyde Herrin's Blog
                    Comment>

I still say the Lord's Prayer the way I learned it as a small child. In other words, Lutheran style. It used to confuse me when I attended the Baptist church because they said it differently, but I stuck to my guns like the stubborn child I was. My version ends with, 'give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.' The Baptists always intoned, 'forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors'. To me, as a child, those words were entirely different and held completely different meanings. Now I realize just how similar they truly are, but I still say it the same way after all this time. I also end the prayer with, 'for thine is the Kingdom, and the Power and the Glory, forever and ever... amen.' Like I said, Lutheran style, through and through.;)
                      Comment>

I am with you Novelangel - I have always done the "trespass" verse and I was thrown off the first time I went to my wife's church a while back. I am not exactly sure the denomination and all of that but I just got used to the way that they do it now, and I am pretty good at switching back and forth. I do like the "trespass" version better though, it just sounds better to me, and that probably has to do with me growing up with it.
                        Comment>

There could be many versions of the Lord's prayer but as long as what the prayer was supposed to about is untouched it is fine. But whilst talking about how the wording of bible verses is changing, I think the are people who are working quite hard to change scripture. Even subtle changes such as punctuation can change the meaning of a verse or chapter in the bible. Always have your King James bible with you so in case you see something that doesn't seem right you can confirm whether it's the same in the that old bible.
                          Comment>

Like some of the comments here, I also love the traditional version with the words art in heaven and trespasses, etc. But I don't think it matters much if the words are changed. What's important is the sincerity and the sacredness of praying the Lord's prayer. But what I don't agree with is the singing of such in some churches. Not all Catholic churches sing it but most have the singing version and with different versions of melody. For me, the Lord's Prayer is a serious prayer that is recited with utmost sincerity. Singing it loses that sincerity (or maybe there is another appropriate term that I cannot find to express the feeling).
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap