Which is the worst translation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the worst translation?

There’s a lot of talk about which is the best translation, but how about the worst?

How about The Voice? It puts commentary in-line with the text, which invites confusion about what’s commentary and what’s translation (a term I’m using very loosely here). They claim it helps the reader understanding without looking at notes at the bottom of the page. But, forget that, look at how completely stupid its commentary is:

In Romans 11, we find this text:
    In every generation, God makes sure a few survive the onslaught of judgment. The prophets call these the “remnant.” Paul sees himself living in a critical moment as fewer and fewer Jews pledge obedience to Jesus. But the Anointed’s emissary finds comfort in realizing how God’s faithfulness is playing out in his day.
    How much stupidity can someone pack into a few sentences? 1) Every generation doesn’t have an “onslaught of judgment”. 2) “Remnant” refers the faithful, survivors of onslaught or not. 3) Paul’s writing is inspired, but saying “Paul sees himself…” implies his writings aren’t inspired. 4) Few and fewer Jews weren’t pledging obedience to Jews, but more and more, and gentiles by the great numbers. 5) The Bible uses the term Jew to mean the Circumcised who hasn't "pledged" obedience to Jesus. A Jew pledged to Jesus is an oxymoron. 6) Pledge? Like we’re trying to join a Frat? 7) Critical moment? The commentary seems to suggest Paul was mistaken about eschatology, that he was wrong about the time when Jesus would return. 8) Anointed what? Oh, the Voice’s term for Christ. 9) Emissary what? Oh, the Voice’s term for Apostles. 10) Paul’s comfort comes from his faith, not from realizing anything playing out.

I talked about it in another thread. But to truly answer your question I do not know. I mean, according to that image I would say The Message. But, we do not know if there is anything worse that could exist in future. I think it can.

Frankly, I do not know why they attach commentary or thoughts to bible as if those are as important to others as the unadulterated word of God.
    Comment>

Cornelius I really think you hit the nail on the heard with The Voice.

Another example is John 1:1-5:
      Before time itself was measured, the Voice was speaking.
      The Voice was and is God.
      This celestial Word remained ever present with the Creator;
      His speech shaped the entire cosmos.
      Immersed in the practice of creating,
      all things that exist were birthed in Him.
      His breath filled all things
      with a living, breathing light—
      A light that thrives in the depths of darkness,
      blazes through murky bottoms.
      It cannot and will not be quenched.
      What??????? That is not a translation of the Greek text.

But also let me submit The Message as a contender . For example Rev. 24-5.
      But you walked away from your first love—why? What’s going on with you, anyway? Do you have any idea how far you’ve fallen? A Lucifer fall!
      “Turn back! Recover your dear early love. No time to waste, for I’m well on my way to removing your light from the golden circle.
      Lucifer, golden circle??? Where did that come from because it is not in the Greek text.

Another version is the NWT, but I believe most people know why this one is horrible.
      Last edited by Origen; 06-02-2016, 05:01 AM.
      Comment>

There's this disgusting bible, [don't know if any of you have seen it] it's no longer being sold [last I checked] that was called, The Book of Yeezus. So bad was it that the online store it was being sold on took it down. Don't try to find it, you most certainly don't want to read it. Because it is downright blasphemous. That said, I think the worst bible is one which makes subtle changes to scripture. A bible like the one the Jehovah witnesses use.
        Comment>

When it comes to worst translation I would have to go with any version that really waters down what was originally written. The message bible comes to mind. But when it comes to misleading I would have to say the NIV. When you compare that to other versions like either of the King James bibles (KJV or NKJV), or NASB, you will find a remarkable difference in meanings of different passages.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
            When it comes to worst translation I would have to go with any version that really waters down what was originally written. The message bible comes to mind. But when it comes to misleading I would have to say the NIV. When you compare that to other versions like either of the King James bibles (KJV or NKJV), or NASB, you will find a remarkable difference in meanings of different passages.
            I agree with you concerning the Message Bible. That type of idiomatic (so-called) translation take way to many liberties especially when it the product of one person. On the other hand, the NIV often gets a bad rap. All translations (however some are just down right awful) have their good points and their bad points.

Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap