Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Why do most modern Christians only follow 9 of the 10 commandments? [Sabbath Day]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do most modern Christians only follow 9 of the 10 commandments? [Sabbath Day]

I was told that I was required to work today and I called in and said that I would not work because I guard the 10 commandments. I live in an "at will" state and have a high probability of being fired for doing this, but I believe that I have done the right thing at this time. If I have not done the right thing, why is this so and where can it be found in scripture? My interpretation of what Jesus spoke against was not the law of Moses, but against the ridiculous additions that were made to it by the scribes and Pharisees. I also know that the Sabbath day (or seventh day) was created before the law of Moses.

The Sabbath day appears to be a gift from the most high to mankind for rest and for learning about God (Jesus taught in the tabernacle on the Sabbath day routinely, and this is why I want to learn about the Sabbath day now), and it feels wrong to deny a gift from God.

You identify yourself as a Christian. You, as a Christian, have no obligation to observe a "sabbath day."
    Comment>

For one thing -- The Ten Commandments are Old Testament law. Because of Calvary -- the cross -- we are now under Grace. The reason that a lot of denominations worship on Sunday instead of Saturday is because Jesus Christ rose from the dead early on the 1st day of the week, which is Sunday. Most of the Ten Commandments have been repeated in the New Testament, however, a new commandment I give you -- to love the Lord your God with your heart, soul, and mind. And the second is to love your neighbor as your self.

Matthew 22:36 - 39 "Teacher , which is the greatest commandment in the Law?

vs 40 "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

There are lots of jobs that require an employee to be available for Sunday work hours. It didn't use to be that way. Many years ago Sunday was a day set aside For church. Most places of employment were closed.

The Old Testament. God created the world in six days and the 7th day was to be for rest. A Sabboth's day of rest. God blessed it. But, Sunday became the Lord's Day because He rose from the dead on that day - very early in the morning.

Most people need a paycheck on a regular basis -- and lots of jobs are just under 40 hrs so that employers don't have to give 'benefits' -- no insurance.

Lots of churches recognize that people need jobs and if a person works a job with shifts -- 7-3 / 3-11/ 11-7 the people will be there Sunday morning and not in the evening. People go to church when their job permits them to. Salvation isn't determined by a good work of being in church all the time. Though we Do need to worship God with those of similar belief to learn and encourage each other.

And what ever job we have -- our employer expects us to Work during work hours.

The gift from God could be seen as the paycheck we need to pay our bills. To be a good, reliable worker.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
        For one thing -- The Ten Commandments are Old Testament law. Because of Calvary -- the cross -- we are now under Grace. The reason that a lot of denominations worship on Sunday instead of Saturday is because Jesus Christ rose from the dead early on the 1st day of the week, which is Sunday. Most of the Ten Commandments have been repeated in the New Testament, however, a new commandment I give you -- to love the Lord your God with your heart, soul, and mind. And the second is to love your neighbor as your self.

Matthew 22:36 - 39 "Teacher , which is the greatest commandment in the Law?

vs 40 "All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

There are lots of jobs that require an employee to be available for Sunday work hours. It didn't use to be that way. Many years ago Sunday was a day set aside For church. Most places of employment were closed.

The Old Testament. God created the world in six days and the 7th day was to be for rest. A Sabboth's day of rest. God blessed it. But, Sunday became the Lord's Day because He rose from the dead on that day - very early in the morning.

Most people need a paycheck on a regular basis -- and lots of jobs are just under 40 hrs so that employers don't have to give 'benefits' -- no insurance.

Lots of churches recognize that people need jobs and if a person works a job with shifts -- 7-3 / 3-11/ 11-7 the people will be there Sunday morning and not in the evening. People go to church when their job permits them to. Salvation isn't determined by a good work of being in church all the time. Though we Do need to worship God with those of similar belief to learn and encourage each other.

And what ever job we have -- our employer expects us to Work during work hours.

The gift from God could be seen as the paycheck we need to pay our bills. To be a good, reliable worker.
        But I am wondering why the time of the law of the 10 commandments was changed to Sunday, and who did it? I've heard that an ancient Caesar ordered the Catholic Papacy to change it to Sunday.
        Comment>

No one "changed" it. Jesus arose on Sunday. The Church (Body of Christ) honors that day.

The Hebrew (Jewish) sabbath day was Friday evening until Saturday evening.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Winken View Post
            No one "changed" it. Jesus arose on Sunday. The Church (Body of Christ) honors that day.

The Hebrew (Jewish) sabbath day was Friday evening until Saturday evening.
            So you are one of them fellas that believes Jesus was entombed Friday afternoon (good Friday) and rose Sunday mornin?
            Comment>

Axillale, hit doan make no nevemand ta me 'bout thet. Thanks fer askin'.
              Comment>

Anyways, just wondering why honoring the day he rose means that we should not honor the Sabbath day.
                Comment>

Actually it's more like the RCC has it on Good Friday. But it pretty much had to happen on Thursday for the time line to work.

It's the Lord's Day -- Not the RCC day.
                  Comment>

Love your accent.:)
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Trist View Post

Anyways, just wondering why honoring the day he rose means that we should not honor the Sabbath day.

Nothing says a person Can't. The idea is to take one day a week and honor God / worshiping Him -- fellowship with fellow believers. A day each week to rest.
                      Comment>

I remember sooooooooooooo well those days when everything was closed on Sunday except the police and fire departments. Early on (back when movies were 10 cents) my grandmother would counsel me about asking for a dime to go to one. One year the movie "Gone With The Wind" (Clark Gable) came to town. It lasted for 4 hours, starting on Sunday at 1pm. I couldn't watch it that day. Dad made up for it by allowing me to skip school the following Tuesday.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Sue D. View Post

Nothing says a person Can't. The idea is to take one day a week and honor God / worshiping Him -- fellowship with fellow believers. A day each week to rest.
                          And I was just struck with fear when I read the prophecy of Daniel of end times in Daniel 7:23-25 KJV and the warning from Jesus about people like the scribes and Pharisees (Catholics) commanding Sunday instead of Saturday with Matthew 15:8-9 KJV. Just a genuine concern and fear.
                          Comment>

I was told that I was required to work today and I called in and said that I would not work because I guard the 10 commandments. I live in an "at will" state and have a high probability of being fired for doing this, but I believe that I have done the right thing at this time. If I have not done the right thing, why is this so and where can it be found in scripture? My interpretation of what Jesus spoke against was not the law of Moses, but against the ridiculous additions that were made to it by the scribes and Pharisees. I also know that the Sabbath day (or seventh day) was created before the law of Moses.

The Sabbath day appears to be a gift from the most high to mankind for rest and for learning about God (Jesus taught in the tabernacle on the Sabbath day routinely, and this is why I want to learn about the Sabbath day now), and it feels wrong to deny a gift from God.
                            Just sharing with you Trist, the Westminster Confession of Faith, you can go to the page and click the Scriptural references:

Chapter XXI

Of Religious Worship, and the Sabbath Day

I. The light of nature shows that there is a God, who has lordship and sovereignty over all, is good, and does good unto all, and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.[1] But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by Himself, and so limited by His own revealed will, that He may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representation, or any other way not prescribed in the holy Scripture.[2]

II. Religious worship is to be given to God, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; and to Him alone;[3] not to angels, saints, or any other creature:[4] and, since the fall, not without a Mediator; nor in the mediation of any other but of Christ alone.[5]

III. Prayer, with thanksgiving, being one special part of religious worship,[6] is by God required of all men:[7] and, that it may be accepted, it is to be made in the name of the Son,[8] by the help of His Spirit,[9] according to His will,[10] with understanding, reverence, humility, fervency, faith, love and perseverance;[11] and, if vocal, in a known tongue.[12]

IV. Prayer is to be made for things lawful;[13] and for all sorts of men living, or that shall live hereafter:[14] but not for the dead,[15] nor for those of whom it may be known that they have sinned the sin unto death.[16]

V. The reading of the Scriptures with godly fear,[17] the sound preaching[18] and conscionable hearing of the Word, in obedience unto God, with understanding, faith and reverence,[19] singing of psalms with grace in the heart;[20] as also, the due administration and worthy receiving of the sacraments instituted by Christ, are all parts of the ordinary religious worship of God:[21] beside religious oaths,[22] vows,[23] solemn fastings,[24] and thanksgivings upon special occasions,[25] which are, in their several times and seasons, to be used in an holy and religious manner.[26]

VI. Neither prayer, nor any other part of religious worship, is now, under the Gospel, either tied unto, or made more acceptable by any place in which it is performed, or towards which it is directed:[27] but God is to be worshipped everywhere,[28] in spirit and truth;[29] as, in private families[30] daily,[31] and in secret, each one by himself;[32] so, more solemnly in the public assemblies, which are not carelessly or wilfully to be neglected, or forsaken, when God, by His Word or providence, calls thereunto.[33]

VII. As it is the law of nature, that, in general, a due proportion of time be set apart for the worship of God; so, in His Word, by a positive, moral, and perpetual commandment binding all men in all ages, He has particularly appointed one day in seven, for a Sabbath, to be kept holy unto him:[34] which, from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week: and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week,[35] which, in Scripture, is called the Lord's Day,[36] and is to be continued to the end of the world, as the Christian Sabbath.[37]

VIII. This Sabbath is to be kept holy unto the Lord when men, after a due preparing of their hearts, and ordering of their common affairs beforehand, do not only observe an holy rest all the day from their own works, words, and thoughts about their worldly employments and recreations,[38] but also are taken up the whole time in the public and private exercises of His worship, and in the duties of necessity and mercy.[39]

Source: Chapter XXI
                            God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

And I was just struck with fear when I read the prophecy of Daniel of end times in Daniel 7:23-25 KJV and the warning from Jesus about people like the scribes and Pharisees (Catholics) commanding Sunday instead of Saturday with Matthew 15:8-9 KJV. Just a genuine concern and fear.
                              Trist --- No one is Commanding anyone to change from Saturday worship to Sunday worship. It's a change that Christianity has made to honor Christ's rising from the dead.

And there are those who believe that obeying the Ten Commandments is a requirement for salvation. It's Not works on anyone's part that ensure's salvation. Because of Ephesians 2:8 - 9 ",,,,,, not of works, lest any man would boast" as in "look what I did to secure My salvation" Salvation is a gift of God, made possible through the death, burial and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap