Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

Hellish good works ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hellish good works ?

are good works completely wasted or will the flames be turned down a bit in hell - seeing that most are on the broad to hell would this not be an excellent reason for good works - wincam

Originally posted by wincam View Post
    are good works completely wasted or will the flames be turned down a bit in hell - seeing that most are on the broad to hell would this not be an excellent reason for good works - wincam
    There are so many problems with your statement. But I'll bite, whose good works are we addressing? The works of man or of God? From the perspective of monergism, good works are not wasted, and He who begins a good work finishes it.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

Originally posted by wincam View Post
      Ok, what is your true purpose for asking these questions? Are you actually curious, or are you just trying to start arguments? Because based on the other threads you have started it seems you are just showing up to drop off some "controversial" questions and go on your merry way. Many people come these types of forums to actually get insight, and not get distracted by bogus questions.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        Many people come these types of forums to actually get insight, and not get distracted by bogus questions.
        That makes me think of one of the differences I believe apparent between a "Religious" and "Theology" forums. I used to spend a lot of time in Religious forums where apologetics was the main platform. It was a day to day objective to walk someone across a bridge formed by the debate from Secularism to Scripture. Till this day I have not ever witnessed anyone crossing the bridge. Usually what happens is that people argue and never open the covers to the bible. The apologist learns the secular lingo yet comes back to Scripture empty handed every time. In a Theology forum, we all tend to open the covers and dive into Scripture attempting clarity and discipline in our Christian life.

It is unfortunate that the nature of the arguments between Catholics and Protestants are seemingly reminiscent to the religious boards. There are two sources of authority in these debates, the Catholic church and Scripture. Catholics use scripture to point people to the authority of the church which ends up making Scripture an obstacle and distraction to be overcome. From the Protestant point of view, especially from a Reformed perspective, it is the gentle hand of the Reformer that tries to sway the knee of the Catholic church to bend before the authority of Scripture.

Just something I notice.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

May I suggest, reading about the doctrine of "total depravity", meaning, apart from Christ, nothing we do is good or can be of good motive.

"Eph. 2:1-5 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—"Isaiah 64:6
          "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away." Ephesians 2:10
          For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.Philippians 2:13
          for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
          I
          Comment>

Originally posted by Parousia View Post
            May I suggest, reading about the doctrine of "total depravity", meaning, apart from Christ, nothing we do is good or can be of good motive.

"Eph. 2:1-5 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—"Isaiah 64:6
            "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away." Ephesians 2:10
            For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.Philippians 2:13
            for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.
            I
            That'd be a really good place to start if the Original Poster means by the works of man - which I believe they did.

For a more exhaustive list: Total Depravity Verse List -Christforums

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Great, thank you! :)
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap