Enhance and deepen your study of God's Word by asking Bible questions and sharing your answers.

The Great War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great War

For a long time after World War I the war was referred to by many as the Great War, meaning that it involved more nations and people than had any other war up to that time. When an even greater war began in 1939 people stopped using this term and began calling it World War I and calling the new war World War II. But there is another war going on right now which really does deserve to be called the Great War and most of the world is completely unaware of it. Here is how it began.
    You were blameless in your ways
    from the day you were created,
    till unrighteousness was found in you.
    In the abundance of your trade
    you were filled with violence in your midst, and you sinned;
    so I cast you as a profane thing from the mountain of God,
    and I destroyed you, O guardian cherub,
    from the midst of the stones of fire.
    Ezekiel 28:15-16 ESV
    This is addressed to the king of Tyre, but it obviously doesn’t refer to the human ruler but to Satan, who was the real ruler.

Isaiah tells us how Satan sinned.
    “How you are fallen from heaven,
    O Day Star, son of Dawn!
    How you are cut down to the ground,
    you who laid the nations low!
    You said in your heart,
    ‘I will ascend to heaven;
    above the stars of God
    I will set my throne on high;
    I will sit on the mount of assembly
    in the far reaches of the north;
    I will ascend above the heights of the clouds;
    I will make myself like the Most High.’”
    Isaiah 14:12-14 ESV
    He attempted to take God’s place as ruler of the universe. This began a war that is still going on.

Genesis 3 tells us how we became involved in this war. The first two chapters of Genesis describe how God created a perfect world, free from any trace of sin, and created the first members of the human race, Adam and Eve. In chapter 3 Satan took on the form of a serpent or entered and took control of a serpent and in that form tempted Eve to disobey God. Adam followed Eve in disobedience and this brought the earth and the whole human race under Satan’s control. Here is how we all begin our lives.
    And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience—among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind.
    Ephesians 2:1-3 ESV
    We start out enslaved by Satan. We are freed from this slavery by repenting of our sins and putting our faith in Jesus Christ. One result of this action is that we become members of God’s army and are now at war with our former master.

Most of the world’s population is on Satan’s side but these people are not our enemies.
    For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
    Ephesians 6:12 ESV
    We fight Satan by proclaiming the gospel so that others may be freed from Satan’s slavery just as we were.
    The Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.
    2 Timothy 2:24-26 ESV
    This war has been going on a least 6,000 years and we have no idea how much longer it will last, but if you read the last part of Revelation you will find that in the end God will win. Surely a war that has been going on so long and involves so many participants deserves to be called The Great War. There is a sense in which it is the only war that has ever taken place. All of the military, religious, and ideological conflicts in human history have been side effects of this war between God and Satan.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

I subscribe to a blog called "The Art of Manliness" that ususlly has interesting or useful information like 5 different knots for ties and how to match them to a shirt collar, or starting a fire with a flint and steel, or lessons on motivation from the Navy SEALS. Often interesting and once in a while useful. Recently they published a series of guest blogs on "the Feminization of the Church" that look at some studies on why most Churches have a strong gender gap and why this seems unique to Christianity (but dates back hundreds of years). Our Men's group have been discussing it for about 6 weeks now (every Tuesday) and have concluded that we are going to take a shot at stepping up our game. We have decided that as long as God has provided us each with a suit of the Full Armor of God, maybe it was time to salley out of the castle walls and attempt some task big enough that we had a good chance at failure.

I have no idea what we will do, that decision will be made tomorrow. But I think that there really is a Great War going on, and I know of a couple dozen men looking to give their swords and shields and bresatplates and helmets a shot at combat in this war. So thanks for the advice and wish us ... well, I guess, we aren't looking for luck ... wish us wisdom and a backbone.

Arthur
    Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
      I have no idea what we will do, that decision will be made tomorrow.
      Since your post was made yesterday that mean that today is when you will decide. I will pray that God will give you the wisdom to make the right decision and the grace to carry it out.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
        I subscribe to a blog called "The Art of Manliness" that ususlly has interesting or useful information like 5 different knots for ties and how to match them to a shirt collar, or starting a fire with a flint and steel, or lessons on motivation from the Navy SEALS. Often interesting and once in a while useful. Recently they published a series of guest blogs on "the Feminization of the Church" that look at some studies on why most Churches have a strong gender gap and why this seems unique to Christianity (but dates back hundreds of years). Our Men's group have been discussing it for about 6 weeks now (every Tuesday) and have concluded that we are going to take a shot at stepping up our game. We have decided that as long as God has provided us each with a suit of the Full Armor of God, maybe it was time to salley out of the castle walls and attempt some task big enough that we had a good chance at failure.

I have no idea what we will do, that decision will be made tomorrow. But I think that there really is a Great War going on, and I know of a couple dozen men looking to give their swords and shields and bresatplates and helmets a shot at combat in this war. So thanks for the advice and wish us ... well, I guess, we aren't looking for luck ... wish us wisdom and a backbone.

Arthur
        That matter is specifically one of the 45 strategic Communist goals against the West in its long range strategy against us:

The Communist Takeover Of America - 45 Declared Goals

Cleon Skousen, ex FBI agent in the late 40's and 50's, listed those 45 Communist goals in his 1958 book The Naked Communist. Any God-fearing American should be able to understand them when reading them and comparing them to how things have gone on in our western society today. In the 1990's when the Berlin Wall came down, Gorbachev while visiting in the U.S. was asked if he still believed in the Communist long-range goals for world takeover and he said yes (per Golitsyn's The Perestroika Deception).

Comment>

It seems in the near future the walk will be tested to the max, we as those of the Lord should treasure what is in the Kingdom of God, not what is in this world, that but for the Grace of God, His Faithfulness to the faithful, this world still is until further notice. If we value, the Life that is of God then this life here in the earth shouldn’t be such a disappointment. If you value something, you seek a fulfillment therein. And when things are not according to what you value, your fulfillment in your expectations are denied. As Americans, we are constantly reminded that we are entitled something. Were as in truth the only thing that is entitled is the fulfillment of God’s Word.
          Hence what you see in churches in the world, a constant decomposing of the influence of Christian principals in the churches, promoted by those who see themselves as entitled to what God gave Abel.
          Comment>

I agree that Lucifer is the king of Babylon:

Isa 14:4 That thou shalt take up this proverb against the king of Babylon . . . 14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!

There is a sense in which the literal king of Babylon fell from symbolical heaven.

Jer 51:53 Though Babylon should mount up to heaven, and though she should fortify the height of her strength, yet from me shall spoilers come unto her, saith the LORD.

"Heaven" is used figuratively in the Bible to represent positions of power. And Jeremiah 51.53 above is a classic example of this. And there's also Joseph's dream where bodies in the heavens (sun, moon and stars) typified those more powerful in his family:

Gen 37:9 And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me. 37:10 And he told it to his father, and to his brethren: and his father rebuked him, and said unto him, What is this dream that thou hast dreamed? Shall I and thy mother and thy brethren indeed come to bow down ourselves to thee to the earth?

The book of Revelation is full of symbology. It's pretty much impossible to understand some passages any other way. The woman clothed with the sun is a good example:

Rev 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:

Based upon the understanding that the sun, and the moon represent political power, the woman is in league with men in power. The evidence is that the woman represents the church. The following two quotes support this:

2 Cor 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

Rev_21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

An faithful church is typified by an unfaithful woman. God uses this symbology when describing Israel:

Hos 1:2 The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

Jer 3:8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

And there is an unfaithful church in a position of power that is described in Revelation Ch's 17 & 18:

Rev 17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

Rev 18:21 And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap