X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louis Berkhof - Systematic Theology

Berkhof's standard, systematic treatment of the doctrines of the Reformed faith -- his magnum opus -- with his Introduction to Systematic Theology. Written in a scholarly yet simple style, and completely outlined and indexed, the work includes a thorough bibliography, and questions for further study follow each section.
    Attached Files

My mind was just blown. You mean I can download PDF files from a forum post? This is amazing. Oh my goodness! This isn't a little brochure this is a whole book! It has everything from the attributes and names of God to the end times and judgement, and everything in between. Just the section on the nature of the trinity alone has a wealth of information. Thank you for sharing this! What an amazing resource. I am so excited! I may convert this and send it to my kindle. It is over 800 pages and I want to curl up with it.
    Comment>

About Louis Berkhof - Systematic Theology

Saw your post on Systematic Theology by Louis Berkhof PDF. Just wondering if it included the Introduction to Systematic Theology (prolegomenon / dogmatics)? My current hard copy doesn't :/

Wasn't able to download it using the link, wondering if you still have it.

Thanks!
      Comment>

Originally posted by resolute595 View Post
        About Louis Berkhof - Systematic Theology

Saw your post on Systematic Theology by Louis Berkhof PDF. Just wondering if it included the Introduction to Systematic Theology (prolegomenon / dogmatics)? My current hard copy doesn't :/

Wasn't able to download it using the link, wondering if you still have it.

Thanks!
        The link appears to work for me. I am able to view the PDF from the weblink. But I do not believe that is included.

And welcome Resolute!

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

Overall a very solid work.
          Comment>

Here's another free book on systematic theology by the Calvinist Vincent Cheung. He has 20 to 30 free books

Wayne Grudem lists many Systematic Theology works:
            1. Anglican (Episcopalian) Thomas, Litton,
            2. Arminian (Wesleyan or Methodist) Finney, Pope, Miley, Wiley, Cottrell,
            3. Baptist 1767 Gill, Boyce, Strong, Mullins, Henry, Erickson,
            4. Dispensational Chafer, Thiessen, Ryrie,
            5. Lutheran Pieper, Mueller,
            6. Reformed (or Presbyterian) Calvin, Heppe, Hodge, Dabney, Warfield, Murray, Berkhof, Buswell,
            7. Renewal (or charismatic/ Pentecostal) Williams,

Grudem, Wayne A.. Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine (Cómo Entender) (p. 688). Zondervan. Kindle Edition.

Aside: There is a rumor that Joel Olsteen has a similar work on Systematic Theology. I heard it is 4 pages long. Just a rumor though.
            An introduction to Christian theology as a coherent system of beliefs founded on the sovereignty of God and the infallibility of Scripture. Contents: 1. Theology, 2. Scripture, 3. God, 4. Man, 5. Christ, and 6. Salvation. 
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
              Berkhof's standard, systematic treatment of the doctrines of the Reformed faith -- his magnum opus -- with his Introduction to Systematic Theology. Written in a scholarly yet simple style, and completely outlined and indexed, the work includes a thorough bibliography, and questions for further study follow each section.
              Thank you for this. I'm going to absorb this stuff. I hate having most of this place go right over my head. It's exasperating as all get out.
              Comment>

Originally posted by William

Was for me too. Four years ago I decided to tackle theology. It was like picking up a med book and being bewildered by all the technical terminology. I figured back then that it would be a fruitful endeavor to tackle a new area of study. I fell in love with Theology. Brilliant minds came before us just_me, much more brilliant than I could ever be, men that devoted their lives to a study using a systematic approach to Scripture. It is a wonderful view, that is, while standing on the shoulders of Christian giants. Don't fret over these giants being men, I will only recommend men that follow the principle of Sola Scriptura (Scripture alone).

My greatest difficulty today when speaking in person is learning how to convey my theological knowledge in way that a 4 year old can understand it. Sometimes my wife gets very upset with me when we debate, she tunes me out and says I can't understand a thing you say! LOL, I love my wife. But what she says rings true, I consider the test of our understanding being our ability to convey our knowledge in a way where others can understand it.

I'd like to introduce you to another theological perspective (Reformed) after you get done reading Berkhof. Lemme know when you're done. If by chance you come to any enlightening moments while reading Berkhof please post them here in the forum. I love hearing from people with "virgin" minds. You need not say nothing more than "I found this intriguing...." to start a thread.

And in case I am losing you on the term "Systematic theology" lemme explain:

In a nutshell, Systematic Theology attempts to show where the Bible gives support for doctrines (teaching) under consideration. The Scripture themselves have power and authority greater than any human words, but Systematic Theology attempts to go beyond just quoting Scriptural verses, though passages are often quoted at length so that readers can examine for themselves the Scriptural evidence and in that way be like the Bereans, who were "examining the scriptures daily to see if these things were so" Acts 17:11.

In summation, the definition of Systematic Theology involves collecting and understanding "all" the relevant passages in the Bible on various topics and then summarizing their teachings clearly so that we know what to believe about each topic. Systematic Theology is thus defined: as a study that answers the question, "What does the whole Bible teach us today" about any given topic.

God bless,
                William
                I am sure I will have volumes of questions that I will be asking on this and that. I'm just starting out on this path for knowledge and I am one of those unwashed ignoramuses that the elitist left is always mocking the right with. I am not proud of not being educated, but I am happy to have had the wisdom God granted me with to not look down upon a person for having fewer accomplishments in a field of life than I. I've learned, more than once that those who are less gifted in the intelligence dept. can sometimes come up with the most brilliant and insightful statements and no matter how uneducated one is on some subject, there is always something you can learn from someone, If nothing studious, then just how to be a better person inside .

Sometimes, when you reach out, you can find a gem of a person hidden beneath a ton of hurt and anguish that the world has dumped on top of them. It is these people that need to know about The Lord Jesus Christ and what knowing him can accomplish in them. God really knew what he was doing, when he specks about humility in being one's self. It opens up your mind and opens the door for us to grow so far beyond our wildest dreams, but but the most desperate hopes of those who just need an ear to listen to them and a shoulder to cry on.
                Comment>

Systematic Theology involves collecting and understanding "all" the relevant passages in the Bible on various topics and then summarizing their teachings clearly so that we know what to believe about each topic. Systematic Theology is thus defined: as a study that answers the question, "What does the whole Bible teach us today" about any given topic.
                  Your story sounds almost identical to mine. Systematic Theology opened the understanding of the Bible to me. I've read 7 or 8 of them. A couple author's are expensive, but others cheap ($0 to $10). I maintain a WORD document that is a combination of all the "Systematic Theology" books I have read and often insert their ideas on Christforums (This has the added advantage of partially hiding from other readers my IQ challenged mind ... smile)

Aside: Calvin's version is called "The institutes of Religion' instead of "Systematic Theology" in case someone is interested.
                  Aside2: I would say that for the most part the various protestant versions of "Systematic Theology" agree with each other. Each has something more to add. Some outline differences like infant baptism, dispensationalism/covenant, eschatology, age of accountability.
                  Comment>

Thanks for your contribution Fredy. I plan to tackle the book over the next week.
                    I thank you for your diligent work on this website.

The content of V. Cheung's "Systematic Theology" book is similar to other reformers. Cheung is VERY strong on the sovereignty of GOD; I would say beyond all others.

His free book, "Author of Sin" I found revolutionary to the point that he changed my mind (maybe for the worse, but he made sense; he, in my opinion, solved issues that others called "mysteries"). He has a different view point on second causes and he maintains of sovereignty of GOD over EVERYTHING.
                    Comment>

Thanks for the book William. I hope to read it soon or use it as a reference.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap