One favorite warning from each of the New Testament writers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    One favorite warning from each of the New Testament writers

    For those of us who don’t like to read much, I have provided
    a very short summary of God’s warnings to born-again believers,
    one from each of the NT writers ...

    Jesus …
    “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God
    and he shall be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable,
    murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars
    shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone,
    which is the second death (eternal death).” (Revelation 21:7-8)
    • Born-again believers who are habitual sinners are in this group of the condemned!
    God does not condemn unbelievers and let believers who do the same things go free.
    Cowardly born-again believers are those who will fall away during the persecution
    of Christians, and/or will submit to taking the deadly mark of the beast.

    Paul …
    “… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey,
    whether (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death,
    or (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness” (Romans 6:16)
    • Born-again believers who are habitual sinners are headed for hell!

    The writer of Hebrews …
    “But we are not like those (unfaithful) who turn away from God
    to their own destruction (eternal death). We are the faithful ones,
    whose souls will be saved.” (Hebrews 10:39)
    • Born-again believers who do not remain faithful (followers of Jesus
    who obey Him) are headed for hell … and the writer obviously
    has no idea who will ultimately remain faithful to the end!

    James …
    “Then when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin;
    and sin, when it is full grown, brings forth (eternal) death.
    Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.” (James 1:15-16)
    • Born-again believers are warned to not be deceived: sin leads to eternal death!

    Peter …
    “… you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready
    to be revealed in the last time … you have been grieved by various trials,
    that the genuineness of your faith … though it is tested by fire, may be found
    to (be worthy of) praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ
    … receiving the end of your faith – the salvation of your souls.” (1 Peter 1:5-9)
    • Born-again believers who overcome their trials and testings will receive salvation!
    James warns (above) about one of these testings, which is giving in to sin!

    John …
    “In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest:
    Whoever does not (continue to) practice righteousness is not of God” (1 John 3:10)
    • Born-again believers who do not practice righteousness belong to the devil!

    Jude …
    “But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith,
    praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, looking
    for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.” (Jude 20-21)
    • Born-again believers need to keep themselves acceptable to God!
    Rebellious and disobedient habitual sinners are not acceptable to God.

    Hopefully, I haven’t left anyone out.
    And please don’t get all excited, if I left out one of your favorite verses.

    • • • Born-again believers have been given a new nature for the express purpose
    of setting them free from being slaves of sin … they are now able to NOT sin.
    Plus, the precious indwelling Holy Spirit helps the believer to be an overcomer.

    #2
    Originally posted by Zachary View Post
    Born-again believers have been given a new nature for the express purpose
    of setting them free from being slaves of sin … they are now able to NOT sin.
    Plus, the precious indwelling Holy Spirit helps the believer to be an overcomer.
    The new nature that born again believers receives cannot sin. We can still commit sins because we still have our old natures, but this state will only continue until the old nature is removed, either at death or the rapture. Unfortunately there are many who profess to be believers who have not really been born again and received this new nature. The Bible's warnings against departing from the faith are directed to them. A person does not lose his salvation by leaving the faith; he leaves the faith because he was never really saved in the first place.

    They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. (1 John 2:19 ESV)
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

      #3
      Born-again believers are 'born-again' -- they have the Holy Spirit indwelling them. A person's life tells a story. If a person's life shows no change at all -- Then an observer of that life has reason to challenge that person. Scripture tells us that 'by their fruits you shall know them'. If there are no fruits to observe -- then there's been no salvation.

      Because of the cross -- we are no longer slaves To sin. A person needs to accept the cross personally in order to receive it's 'blessings'.
      Comment>

        #4
        Originally posted by theophilus View Post
        The new nature that born again believers receives cannot sin. We can still commit sins because we still have our old natures, but this state will only continue until the old nature is removed, either at death or the rapture. Unfortunately there are many who profess to be believers who have not really been born again and received this new nature. The Bible's warnings against departing from the faith are directed to them. A person does not lose his salvation by leaving the faith; he leaves the faith because he was never really saved in the first place.
        They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. (1 John 2:19 ESV)
        I am not convinced your U/L is true.
        I am convinced your verse applies to one incident (I'm not sure that it is universal).
        Comment>

          #5
          Originally posted by Sue D. View Post
          Born-again believers are 'born-again' -- they have the Holy Spirit indwelling them. A person's life tells a story. If a person's life shows no change at all -- Then an observer of that life has reason to challenge that person. Scripture tells us that 'by their fruits you shall know them'. If there are no fruits to observe -- then there's been no salvation.
          Because of the cross -- we are no longer slaves To sin. A person needs to accept the cross personally in order to receive it's 'blessings'.
          Can a born-again display fruits of the Spirit:
          - and not practice righteousness?
          - and be a coward (Rev 21:8)?
          - and habitually commit sin?
          Comment>

            #6
            Originally posted by Zachary View Post
            Can a born-again display fruits of the Spirit:
            - and not practice righteousness?
            - and be a coward (Rev 21:8)?
            - and habitually commit sin?
            Is it just me, or are you displaying a fairly negative attitude.
            Comment>

              #7
              Originally posted by Zachary View Post
              I am not convinced your U/L is true.
              I am convinced your verse applies to one incident (I'm not sure that it is universal).
              Why do you think this?
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

                #8
                Originally posted by Sue D. View Post

                Is it just me, or are you displaying a fairly negative attitude.
                Tain't just thou ... Ever hear of 2 negatives making a positive? Neither have I.
                The churches are in an incredibly negative condition.
                Perhoops, my negatives (which are spiritual Truths) can help the situation.
                For some people, at least.
                Comment>

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Zachary View Post
                  The Bible's warnings against departing from the faith are directed to them (not born-again).

                  I am not convinced your U/L is true.
                  I am convinced your verse applies to one incident (I'm not sure that it is universal).
                  Where does any Epistle writer specify that he is writing to those who are not born-again?
                  IMO, all of the many dozens of dire warnings are written to everyone in the churches.

                  If an unbeliever dies in the condition of a habitual liar, he goes to hell.
                  Why does this not also apply to the believer?
                  The warnings are to the believer.

                  No warnings are to anyone who is not a member of the elect.
                  That would be absurd, if you believe (as I do) that ...
                  God chooses who gets a small seed of faith, which enables him/her to believe!

                  The Epistles are written only to believers!
                  Comment>

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Zachary View Post

                    Where does any Epistle writer specify that he is writing to those who are not born-again?
                    IMO, all of the many dozens of dire warnings are written to everyone in the churches.

                    If an unbeliever dies in the condition of a habitual liar, he goes to hell.
                    Why does this not also apply to the believer?
                    The warnings are to the believer.

                    No warnings are to anyone who is not a member of the elect.
                    That would be absurd, if you believe (as I do) that ...
                    God chooses who gets a small seed of faith, which enables him/her to believe!

                    The Epistles are written only to believers!
                    The Epistles are part of Scripture that God has preserved for Everyone to read. We learn from all of it. And who's to say that a person enters a church service an unbeliever and becomes a believer as a result Of the church service.

                    A person goes to hell because they've Not accepted Jesus Christ as personal Savior. If a believer also has a problem with habitual lying, then someone needs to approach them in a loving, concerned manner privately and talk to him about that. Some people have a problem distinguishing truth from fiction.

                    A believer Will display various fruits of the Holy Spirit -- if a person expresses being born-again but does not show any fruits Of, then there's reason for a believer to question the salvation of the person. In a loving , concerned private way. Because it's possible that the person might not really be a born-again believer.

                    A person who is a pathological liar or steals or whatever, that person Does have a problem that needs to be dealt with. Their salvation first and then tackle the habitual problem.
                    Comment>

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Zachary View Post
                      For those of us who don’t like to read much, I have provided
                      a very short summary of God’s warnings to born-again believers,
                      one from each of the NT writers ...
                      Jesus …
                      7 “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God
                      and he shall be My son.

                      8 But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable,
                      murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars
                      shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone,
                      which is the second death (eternal death).” (Revelation 21:7-8)

                      • Born-again believers who are habitual sinners are in this group of the condemned!
                      God does not condemn unbelievers and let believers who do the same things go free.
                      Cowardly born-again believers are those who will fall away during the persecution
                      of Christians, and/or will submit to taking the deadly mark of the beast.
                      Hi Zachary, I believe that "born again" believers (who ARE the ones who "overcome") are the ones being spoken of in Revelation 21:7. Verse 8 however, which sounds a lot like 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, is describing the "reprobate", not of God's elect 1. who were chosen by Him from before the foundation of the world, 2. who He predestined for adoption as His sons and daughters, 3. who He regenerated and gave new hearts to, 4. who He caused to be born again and made into wholly new creatures in His Son, 5. who He justified and saved graciously as they came to saving faith in Christ, 6. who became His "masterpiece", 7. who He created in Christ for good works which He prepared beforehand for them to do, and 8. the very same One who justified and saved us from our sins in the first place has also promised that He would see us all the way through this life to Glory .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26; John 3:3, John 3:16; John 5:24; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 2:8-10; Philippians 1:6, 2:13; Hebrews 7:25.

                      Here's the passage from 1 Corinthians I mentioned. Notice how things change for God's elect in v11, after they come to saving faith in Christ.

                      1 Corinthians 6
                      9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
                      10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
                      11 Such WERE some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

                      You continue:

                      Originally posted by Zachary View Post
                      Paul …
                      “… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey,
                      whether (slaves) of sin leading to (eternal) death,
                      or (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness” (Romans 6:16)
                      • Born-again believers who are habitual sinners are headed for hell!
                      I think the context will help us out in this case by simply adding Romans 6:17-18 to Romans 6:16.

                      Romans 6
                      16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
                      17 But thanks be to God that though you WERE slaves of sin, you BECAME obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
                      18 and having been FREED from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

                      I'll have to take up the rest later. I grant you that the Bible was written TO & FOR believers, but not all of it is written ABOUT believers. It's also written to God's elect who have not yet come to faith in Christ. For instance, notice what St. Paul has to say about the purpose of the Law for those who are still outside of the faith.

                      Galatians 3
                      21 If a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law.
                      22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
                      23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed.
                      24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.

                      --David


                      Click image for larger version  Name:	quote-my-hope-lives-not-because-i-am-not-a-sinner-but-because-i-am-a-sinner-for-whom-christ-charles-spurgeon-57-36-33.jpg Views:	1 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	50472


                      Last edited by David Lee; 09-22-2017, 03:08 AM.
                      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

                      "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

                      "Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself." ~A. W. Pink

                      "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

                      "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                      Comment>

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Zachary View Post
                        The Epistles are written only to believers!
                        They were written to people who professed to be believers. Sometimes a person can make a profession of faith and join a church without really being saved. I was once in that situation. I had made a profession of faith, been baptized, joined a church, and thought I was a Christian. The New Testament churches apparently had members like that too, because Paul includes this warning in one of his letters.

                        Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! (2 Corinthians 13:5 ESV)
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>

                          #13
                          Originally posted by theophilus View Post

                          They were written to people who professed to be believers. Sometimes a person can make a profession of faith and join a church without really being saved. I was once in that situation. I had made a profession of faith, been baptized, joined a church, and thought I was a Christian. The New Testament churches apparently had members like that too, because Paul includes this warning in one of his letters.

                          Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test! (2 Corinthians 13:5 ESV)
                          I did that also as a young teenager. It was one result of being in a good, Bible teaching church. A person can have a great Head knowledge but lack the Heart acknowledgment / acceptance of.
                          Comment>

                            #14
                            Originally posted by David Lee View Post
                            Romans 6
                            17 But thanks be to God that though you WERE slaves of sin, you BECAME obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,
                            18 and having been FREED from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
                            I need to post a thread which explains Paul's extremely tactful method of writing to the churches.
                            The U/L is edification-exhortation-encouragement bordering on outright lying.
                            If it were true, then why does he warn them about still being slaves of sin?
                            And why does he say to present their members as being slaves to righteousness (v.19)?
                            He is mixing up their technical spiritual standing with their actual Christian lifestyle!
                            He warns them 3 times: if they continue being slaves of sin, they face eternal death (6:16, 22, 23).
                            Comment>

                              #15
                              Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                              Zach: "The Epistles are written only to believers!"

                              They were written to people who professed to be believers.
                              I meant to say that they were written only to true elect believers (who will be saved).
                              To write them to anyone else would be a waste of time!
                              Kapishe?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap