Feast of 3 Kings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feast of 3 Kings

The feast of the Magi is now called the Feast of Three Kings to commemorate the visit of the Magi to the manger where Jesus was born. As part of the commemoration, children are given treats and coins if they would leave their shoes or socks by the door. It used to be celebrated on January 7 but now it was changed to the first Sunday of January. Children were taught to look at the Magi as kings who were educated and intellectuals. Maybe that myth was to make the Magi more appealing to the children. And that occasion was also meant to teach generosity for the Magi came with their gifts for the baby Jesus.

Originally posted by Corzhens View Post
    the visit of the Magi to the manger where Jesus was born
    There is one problem with this. The Magi never visited the manger. When they came to Bethlehem Joseph and Mary were living in a house and their visit may have been as much as two years after Jesus was born.

Luke and the Wise Men | clydeherrin
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      There is one problem with this. The Magi never visited the manger. When they came to Bethlehem Joseph and Mary were living in a house and their visit may have been as much as two years after Jesus was born.

Luke and the Wise Men | clydeherrin
      I understand your point based on the Bible. What I am relating is the tradition in our country. If we take away the manger then the drama will be lessened. I hope you get what I mean. And even the Kings, they are not really Kings, we know that, but for the children, they would understand it better if they are kings and not savants or astronomers. Again, it is all about the dramatics. And in fairness to our tradition, that occasion will not be that popular if we would stick to facts. Even Christmas has many myths included in the tradition. I guess that's the way things are when facts are left to people. History is not 100% fact and I'd say that is the reality.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap