False Prophets and Teachers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Prophets and Teachers

Scripture often warns against false prophets and false teachers for the simple reason that God's own people can be deceived (Ezekiel 34:1-7; Matthew 7:15-16; 24:4-11). Therefore, the Bible exhorts believers to test those who claim to be prophets (see I John 4:1-3).

How can believers recognize a false prophet? Here are some key considerations:

- False prophets make predictions that aren't fulfilled (Deuteronomy 18:21-22).

- False prophets sometimes entice people to follow false gods or idols (see Exodus 20:3-4; Deuteronomy 13:1-3).

- False prophets often deny the humanity of Jesus Christ (I John 4:1-2).

- False prophets sometimes advocate legalism, such as abstaining from certain foods for spiritual reasons (I Timothy 4:3-4).

- False prophets often encourage asceticism (Colossians 2:16-23).

- False prophets sometimes teach that marriage is bad (I Timothy 4:3).

- False prophets often promote various forms of immorality (Jude 4-7).

If a so-called prophet says anything that clearly contradicts any part of God's Word, his teachings should be rejected. The Word of God is our barometer of truth--a litmus test that exposes error.

Pearl of Wisdom: We ought to follow the example of the Bereans by comparing all truth claims with Scripture (Acts 17:11; I Thessalonians 5:21).
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap