The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
larry2

SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN?

Rom 6:1  Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Should we get rid of something tempting us to sin?

Or possibly rid ourselves of something we can’t use without sinning?

Is there consequence for sin if we are saved?

Opinions, and/or examples?

23 minutes ago, larry2 said:

I do.  Try as I might, those 'little foxes' always cause me trouble (Sng 2:15).  So I am left with no choice but to thank God that His grace still abounds.  I am not sure that I would have been as patient with me as God has been.

1 hour ago, atpollard said:

I do.  Try as I might, those 'little foxes' always cause me trouble (Sng 2:15).  So I am left with no choice but to thank God that His grace still abounds.  I am not sure that I would have been as patient with me as God has been.

Hi dear brother in Christ, and thanks for your reply. I truthfully don't know any that hasn't experienced that in their lives.

So what do we do about it? Are we more than conquerors through him that loved us?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, larry2 said:

Should we get rid of something tempting us to sin?

Or possibly rid ourselves of something we can’t use without sinning?

Is there consequence for sin if we are saved?

Opinions, and/or examples?

Here are some of my notes -

We are to examine ourselves

2Co 13:5-9
(5)  Examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know you not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except you be reprobates?
(6)  But I trust that you shall know that we are not reprobates.
(7)  Now I pray to God that you do no evil; not that we should appear approved, but that you should do that which is honest, though we be as reprobates.
(8)  For we can do nothing against the truth, but for the truth.
(9)  For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, even your perfection.

We are to take care in 3 things:

1. Our Direction = walk not in the counsel of the ungodly.

2. Our Intention = nor stand in the way of sinners.

3. Our Position = nor sit in the seat of scorners.

Psalms 1:1-3
(1)  Blessed is the man that walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful.
(2)  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law does he meditate day and night.
(3)  And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he does shall prosper.

We are to have a mindset of repentance from sin, not allowing it to hinder our progress, and being disciplined along the way.  

Hebrews 12:1
(1)  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which does so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Following on from this verse in Hebrews 12:1 the writer deals with the subject of rebuke and chastisement from which comes the fruit of righteousness to those who are trained  by it.

Hebrews 12:11
(11)  Now no chastening for the present seems to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

We are to be vigilant and diligent regardless of our claims to election.

Hebrews 12:14-17
(14)  Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:
(15)  Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
(16)  Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.
(17)  For you know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

While we are to see the possibilities God has allowed for in the light of Romans 8:23-39, especially that "all things work together for good for those that love God and are the called according to His purpose," we are also to heed these verses:

Hebrews 12:25-29
(25)  See that you refuse not him that speaks. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaks from heaven:
(26)  Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he has promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
(27)  And this word, Yet once more, signifies the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.
(28)  Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
(29)  For our God is a consuming fire.

We can't stop God from being who He is and doing as He wills, but as His elect we can stop ourselves from sinning

Edited by Placable37
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Placable37 said:

As His elect we can stop ourselves from sinning

I liked your notes. With your above statement, what do you think of the following scripture.

1Jn 3:6  Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 
1Jn 5:18  We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.

1 hour ago, larry2 said:

I liked your notes. With your above statement, what do you think of the following scripture.

1Jn 3:6  Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. 
1Jn 5:18  We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not.

Well, as we continue in the faith we do battle with the old man of the flesh, and it is this old man that sins, not the new man.

Abiding in Christ, then is our aim, because Christ isn't going to be a party to sin.