The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
zachary1982

My foreign girlfriend wants us to settle down in her country.

My long-term girlfriend is from Southeast Asia and whenever we talk about settling down, she always insists that we should live in her country. I certainly do not like that. I wish to live and raise my own family in the place where I was born in. Now I’m reconsidering the idea of having a foreign bride. How can I convince my gf to stay where I am at?

Why don't you want to live there? 

If you can't agree about where to live you shouldn't marry each other.  It seems it would be best for each of you to find someone who lives in the same country to marry.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 12:12 PM, zachary1982 said:

My long-term girlfriend is from Southeast Asia and whenever we talk about settling down, she always insists that we should live in her country. I certainly do not like that. I wish to live and raise my own family in the place where I was born in. Now I’m reconsidering the idea of having a foreign bride. How can I convince my gf to stay where I am at?

I agree with what is said above - at the same time I wonder why you want to come onto a forum full of complete strangers to ask advice about such an important and sensitive matter? Talk to your Gf about it - and I mean really talk to her - ask her why she wants to go home and listen to her answers (if you can't do that now, you are going to struggle in marriage)  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 4:12 AM, zachary1982 said:

For one, I suggest courting rather than dating. You may also find this thread of interest: 

My main concern if I were in your shoes is perhaps your friend girl not understanding what leaving her mother and father and cleaving to her husband (should you become married) means. 

Lastly, I'm curious, does she speak more than one language and do you also? 

God bless,

William

And in some cultures - the women are expected to stay around the family with their spouse.  Multi-generation families.  

And there are couples from various countries who meet and marry as a result of college / university training.  Their desire is to be spending their lives together and that will mean leaving their individual families.  

And , just as many people, after getting their education Want to settle down near their family.  Nothing wrong with that, either. 

Might depend on what Asian country is being talked about. Some of those countries might not be all that safe for Americans.   Some of those countries highly encourage a spouse to adopt Their countries customs or don't Be there. 

Lots to consider Before marrying.