The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Britt95

Does God care more about men then women?

@Britt95 -- a woman doesn't have to be married to be in an abusive relationship.  A boyfriend can be the same way -- or an incest situation -- get away from it -- get help. 

On 5/23/2018 at 2:15 AM, Britt95 said:

First off, let me say that this is not a troll post, but a honest post that I really need help with. A while back I went to a church that I thought was loving and accepting towards everyone, then one morning during a service the preacher said "I will never allow a woman on my stage to preach. Except for my wife, because she's a part of me. She can preach when I'm not here but I will never allow a woman on my stage to preach." I thought it sounded very sexist and it wasn't until around then that I realized I had never come across a woman pastor before. I eventually found the scripture that said it was shameful for women to preach and that a woman shall not teach a man. I then started noticing other things that I found in the Bible that made it seem like us women don't matter.

I would suggest that the bible is very clear that women do matter - Who were the first people Jesus showed himself to in the resurrection?

1. Women are suppose to be "Obedient and Submissive" to their husbands while our husband's are suppose to "Dominate" over us. Of course people would instantly say this is because of the curse, but all the same how can we be equal to men and be submissive at the same time? I have had people bring up the scripture that says "Male and Female, he created them", but God also created animals, doesn't mean they are equal to men.

Husbands are not supposed to dominate their wives - with all due respect it appears to me that you not reading Eph 5 fairly. Husbands are to lead their wives, and love their wives as Christ loved the church (ie a husband must die to himself and live for the benefit of his wife - after all that is what Jesus Christ has done for the church. I would suggest that any husband who even get's that half right would be the sort of man any woman would be prepared to follow the lead of.

Consider this as well - headship is also a position of responsibility - Eve sinned first, but Adam carries the blame 

And no, the this relationship is not the result of the all - the fall has merely broken it - this relationship is a result of creation. The woman was created by God to be Adam's helper, although she was created as his equal (Gen 2:15-25). Think of the relationship between God the father and God the son - they are equals (both God) and yet in salvation the son submits to the Father and the Father leads the son - is that a domineering relationship? 

2. If a woman had a son, she was unclean for a week. If she had a daughter, she was unclean for two weeks. Why would she be unclean for twice as long if there wasn't something wrong with the baby because of it's gender? Also there is no place in the Bible that says God loves women. Just a bunch of scriptures saying he "opened their wombs" where they conceived son after son after son but hardly any daughters.

According to Jewish tradition this difference was to account for the purity of both mother and daughter - I would suggest that in some way this was to honour woman. 

In regards to God loving woman - I'm really not sure what you mean. I'm sure you are aware that words like 'man' can refer to refer to men and woman? And When John 3:16 tells us that God loves the world I'm not sure that simply means 'men' :classic_biggrin:

3. Most of the Bible is stories about men being called out to do great things and very few women. As a matter of fact, while God talked directly to most men in the Bible, I only recall him talking to Eve and as for the other women he had angel's talk to them for God. Are we not good enough for God to talk to us directly like he did the men? Also, why is there a Son of God but no daughter? Why does all his Angel's have male names? 

I'm sorry but again I have to ask what Bible are you reading? Didn't Jesus appear to woman at his resurrection before he appeared to the men and didn't he talk to woman? 

As for why their is daughter of God - that is a deeper question that makes me wonder what you believe about the trinity? It suggests you thinking in terms of gender - God is Father, and God is a Son, not because they are male but because that best describes their relationship - I relate to my son in a different way to how I relate to my daughter - and my wife also relates to our male and female children differently - the way the Father and the son relate is like the way a father and son relate - and the way God the father relates to us is like a father - he leads and he provides.

4. Most of the Bible says "he" and "him", and while some people claim these scriptures mean women to they use the terms "she" and "her" when women are involved. I have wondered if the Bible was meant for women to begin with since back then women were so under educated that they couldn't even read.

Back when? 

And you are referring to singular pronouns so I don't really get your point?

5. And then there is the part that says it is shameful for a woman to preach and she cannot teach a man. Why can't we teach men about God if we are equal? What am I suppose to do if a man comes up and asks me to tell him about God? Tell him "I'm sorry but I can't, I'm a woman. Hold on and I'll go get another man to explain it to you."?

Again, it is about equality - the idea that equality means identical is patently false - the average man is physically stronger then the average woman - that is just a fact - but that does effect equality. In the church men are to lead, just as there are in the home. 

Also, it is worth pointing out that the bible talks about teaching, not witnessing on the street.  

Now people tries to tell the stories about how us women are equal because the woman at the well was the first person Jesus told who he was and because the women at the tomb were the first to see him after he risen, but I'm wondering if that's because back then only half of what a woman said was taken seriously compared to what a man said and these women wouldn't be believed.

Again I'm not following you - why would Jesus speak to woman because they would not be believed? That makes little sense. It is true that woman were not given their proper place in Jewish society at that time, but Jesus blessed those woman to correct and challenge that perception.  

I have gone through so many pages on Google trying to figure out what God thinks about us women. I have talked to guys who of course sees it as no big deal because they are more favorable to begin with and the women I talk to acts like it's perfectly ok with them to be obedient to their husbands and not to be allowed to preach in church while claiming God loves them even with all the evidence I provided.

Can I be blunt - the evidence you have provided seemed decidedly skewed. 

It has got to the point that I am ashamed of being a woman and have even considered self harm because why would it matter anyway. I deserve to be punished for being a woman. For being nothing when it comes to me and a man. I have cried and cried over how much I feel that God thinks less of me when he is the one who gave me this gender to begin with.  And the fact, that we are made for man to help ease their burden's like we're property. Even Adam got to name us the same way he named all the other animals. I am exhausted in more ways then one with this. I feel like nobody can help me and I don't know what else to do. It's obvious that we are less than a man. No matter how you try to justify it, the proof of what God thinks of us is right there in his book.

I am sorry you feel that way - I wonder if this is why you read the bible through the lens that you do - my advice would be to seek both medical and pastoral help of the kind that cannot be found through a internet forum like this one. 

@Britt95-- I'd like to ask you some questions -- how old are you?  your family -- believers or non-believers?  And I'd agree with  'rb' -- you Do have a scewed view of God's Word.   And your feelings of yourself being a woman. Are you possibly a person who feels like  a male 'trapped' in a female body?  Or there has been sexual abuse growing up?  

I'm going to include my email address here and feel free to use it.  [email protected] 

This Forum was revamped a while ago and I'm not sure how to use some of the formerly available 'messaging'.  

I'm not a professional 'anything' except being an older woman with 4 grown kids and a few grandkids.  I've been in God's Word my entire life.  The book of Proverbs, Psalms and the New Testament Epistles / Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians are really helpful books.   Philippians 4:6 &7 would be a good place to start.