Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Placable37

Hey, That's Not Sincere Worship!

Recommended Posts

I avoid instituitional religion as much as possible. The insincerity of its hirelings, the Spirit-quenching authoritarianism of its hierarchies, the pretentiousness of the titles and their holders, and the pagan elements that pervade the proceedings.

 

   Isaiah 29:13-16
(13)  Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:
(14)  Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.
(15)  Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the LORD, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?
(16)  Surely your turning of things upside down shall be esteemed as the potter's clay: for shall the work say of him that made it, He made me not? or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, He had no understanding?

 

Quote from Matthew Henry's Commentary On The Whole Bible: (Isa 29:13) 

"He that knows the heart, and cannot be imposed upon with shows and pretences, charges it upon them, whether their hearts condemn them for it or no. He that is greater than the heart, and knows all things, knows that though they draw nigh to him with their mouth, and honour him with their lips, yet they are not sincere worshippers. To worship God is to make our approaches to him, and to present our adorations of him; it is to draw nigh to him as those that have business with him, with an intention therein to honour him. "

 

If we genuinely love God there are at least 7 ways to genuinely worship Him: Fellowship. Discipleship. Stewardship. Leadership. Evangelism. Intercession. Rest.

 

In Matthew 15:7-9 Jesus doesn't seem too happy with the insincere worship that confronts Him and condemns the offenders with this appropriate Isaiah quote: 

 

Matthew 15:7-9
(7)  You hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
(8)  This people draw nigh unto me with their mouth, and honour me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
(9)  But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

 

Later on Jesus instructs His disciples in true leadership, leadership that follows His example and is truly a sincere form of worship:

 

Matthew 20:25-28
(25)  But Jesus called them unto him, and said, You know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
(26)  But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
(27)  And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
(28)  Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

 

 In adoration of Christ, having committed ourselves to worship Him in stewardship, we have a responsibility to make the best use of the resources He gives us, as Peter instructs in his epistle:   

 

1Peter 4:10-11
(10)  As every man has received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
(11)  If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God gives: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

 

Quote from Matthew Henry's Commentary On The Whole Bible : (1 Peter 4:10-11)

"The rule is that whatever gift, ordinary or extraordinary, whatever power, ability, or capacity of doing good is given to us, we should minister, or do service, with the same one to another, accounting ourselves not masters, but only stewards of the manifold grace, or the various gifts, of God. Learn, [1.] Whatever ability we have of doing good we must own it to be the gift of God and ascribe it to his grace. [2.] Whatever gifts we have received, we ought to look upon them as received for the use one of another. We must not assume them to ourselves, nor hide them in a napkin, but do service with them one to another in the best manner we are able. [3.] In receiving and using the manifold gifts of God we must look upon ourselves as stewards only, and act accordingly. The talents we are entrusted with are our Lord's goods, and must be employed as he directs. And it is required in a steward that he be found faithful."

 

I wish you well in your worship, and intercede for those in need of a wake-up call where this matter is concerned, that they will be fortunate to hear the Holy Spirit say, "Hey! That's not sincere worship!"
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exacty do you mean by institutional religion? Like the PCA, SBC, ect..ect..

It seems like you jump to some conclusions there, from your opinions of churches to assumptions that the members are insincere in their practices, quite a serious accusation to just toss around here and there.

 

The Bible uses titles, such as elder, nothing pretentious about being in a role with a title, like the Chruch the Bible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

What exacty do you mean by institutional religion? 

Hi Innerfire89, 

I mean that deadly stuff that the Pharisees and Judaizers enforced, and that formalised, commercialised, and corporatised machine that prostitutes itself to the world, the flesh and the devil. I mean that counterfeit, corrupt, man-centred thing that promises liberty but produces bondage, perpetuated by the kind about whom the apostle Paul wrote:

Philippians 3:18-19
(18)  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
(19)  Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Acts 20:28-30
(28)  Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood.
(29)  For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
(30)  Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

 

And about whom the apostle Peter wrote:

2 Peter 2:1-3
(1)  But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
(2)  And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
(3)  And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingers not, and their damnation slumbers not.

 

And about which the Book of Revelation speaks:
Revelation 2:2
(2)  I know your works, and your labour, and your patience, and how you can not bear them which are evil: and you have tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and have found them liars:

Revelation 2:14-15
(14)  But I have a few things against you, because you have there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
(15)  So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Revelation 3:15-18
(15)  I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would you were cold or hot.
(16)  So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue you out of my mouth.
(17)  Because you say, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and know not that you are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
(18)  I counsel you to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness does not appear; and anoint your eyes with eyesalve, that you may see.

 

If the innerfire of the Holy Spirit is not dimmed by these four antichrist forms of control:

Domination,

Intimidation,

Manipulation,

Seduction,

then praise the Lord, the ekklesia of God is doing well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Placable37 said:

Hi Innerfire89, 

I mean that deadly stuff that the Pharisees and Judaizers enforced, and that formalised, commercialised, and corporatised machine that prostitutes itself to the world, the flesh and the devil. I mean that counterfeit, corrupt, man-centred thing that promises liberty but produces bondage, perpetuated by the kind about whom the apostle Paul wrote:

Philippians 3:18-19
(18)  (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
(19)  Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Acts 20:28-30
(28)  Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood.
(29)  For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
(30)  Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

 

And about whom the apostle Peter wrote:

2 Peter 2:1-3
(1)  But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
(2)  And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
(3)  And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingers not, and their damnation slumbers not.

 

And about which the Book of Revelation speaks:
Revelation 2:2
(2)  I know your works, and your labour, and your patience, and how you can not bear them which are evil: and you have tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and have found them liars:

Revelation 2:14-15
(14)  But I have a few things against you, because you have there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
(15)  So have you also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Revelation 3:15-18
(15)  I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would you were cold or hot.
(16)  So then because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue you out of my mouth.
(17)  Because you say, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and know not that you are wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
(18)  I counsel you to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness does not appear; and anoint your eyes with eyesalve, that you may see.

 

If the innerfire of the Holy Spirit is not dimmed by these four antichrist forms of control:

Domination,

Intimidation,

Manipulation,

Seduction,

then praise the Lord, the ekklesia of God is doing well.

I still have no idea what you are talking about.  Can you give some examples?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Placable37 said:

The insincerity of its hirelings,

How can you tell whether another person is sincere or not?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, davidtaylorjr said:

I still have no idea what you are talking about.  Can you give some examples?

Hi davidtaylorjr,

Apart from the biblical examples and types of false religion which we can easily study in the Old and New Testaments these days with the help of the internet, particularly the descent of backslidden Israel into idolatry and then its recourse to legalism leading up to the arrival of the Messiah, there are the many fascinating and illuminating accounts of the 16th century Protestant Reformation worth our becoming acquainted with.

 

A quick study of one of the early reformers, Jan Hus explains how Hus attacked the Roman Catholic Church by "denouncing the moral failings of clergy, bishops, and even the papacy from his pulpit." The sale of indulgences bothered him as much as it did Martin Luther in later years, and in defiance against Rome Hus spoke in favour of John Wycliffe, who expressly against the rulings of Rome, had completed a translation directly from the Latin Vulgate Bible into Middle English in the year 1382, now known as Wycliffe's Bible.

 

Rome had Hus executed on the 6th July 1415, but the Reformation was gaining momentum as we see in this quote from Wikipedia's page on Martin Luther:

 

 On 31 October 1517, Luther wrote to his bishop, Albrecht von Brandenburg, protesting the sale of indulgences. He enclosed in his letter a copy of his "Disputation of Martin Luther on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences", which came to be known as the Ninety-five Theses. Hans Hillerbrand writes that Luther had no intention of confronting the church, but saw his disputation as a scholarly objection to church practices, and the tone of the writing is accordingly "searching, rather than doctrinaire."[33] Hillerbrand writes that there is nevertheless an undercurrent of challenge in several of the theses, particularly in Thesis 86, which asks: "Why does the pope, whose wealth today is greater than the wealth of the richest Crassus, build the basilica of St. Peter with the money of poor believers rather than with his own money?"[33]

 

I believe that as much as the Protestant Reformation was a step in the right direction it by no means went far enough. Roman Catholicism is still intent on subjecting all the world to its Babylonish and pagan rule, but as another example, an investigation of the Potter's House cult provides us with an insight into just how much of an ungodly dictatorship this movement is rather than the genuine  expression of Christ's body it claims to be.   

Edited by Placable37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, theophilus said:

How can you tell whether another person is sincere or not?  

Good question, theophilus,

The answer is by their fruit.

 

Matthew 7:15-23
(15)  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
(16)  You shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
(17)  Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
(18)  A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
(19)  Every tree that brings not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
(20)  Wherefore by their fruits you shall know them.
(21)  Not every one that says unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(22)  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works?
(23)  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Further to the OP and ensuing posts:

https://www.growingchristians.org/devotions/acceptable-worship/

There are several examples of unacceptable worship in the Old Testament. The worship of false gods was obviously unacceptable. We are referring here to the worship of the true God but worship which was offered in ways that were unacceptable. The first example is the unacceptable worship of Cain in Genesis 4. Cain's worship was unacceptable because he brought the wrong offering. Evidently God had communicated that acceptable worship was to be by means of sacrifice, because Hebrews 11 states that Abel's worship was by faith. Cain decided to bring an offering of his own choosing--and then was extremely angry when God wouldn't accept it! According to Jude 11 there are people today who "have gone the way of Cain." Their worship is unacceptable because, like Cain, they insist on bringing offerings of their own choice. Offering our own good works to God as a means of our salvation is an example of bringing the wrong offering to the Lord. This is unacceptable worship--regardless of how noble or sacrificial or religious those good deeds or actions may be.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
Articles - News - Privacy Policy