The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
laverne3

Trouble with style in Old Testament

I am a new Christian and am having difficulties getting over the fact that a lot of the Old Testament scripture sounds a bit harsh and non-God inspired. One part in particular in Joshua 11:6 the Lord says: "You shall hamstring their horses and burn their chariots with fire." This sounds a bit more like a person back in the old times would say rather than a all knowing, timeless God. Their are countless other examples, this one just caught my attention and made me want to ask the forums. 

Why does a lot of the Old Testament scripture sound like something you would see in a movie that portrays depiction of an evil ruler?

Not to build on your impression of how God interacts with people in the Old Testament, but at that time He was only concerned with the well being of His people.  The Israelites.  The events in the Old Testament tell the story of God establishing His chosen people and how they grew into a nation over time.  

What we are supposed to glean from the Old Testament is, by looking through the lens of the New Testament, to identify why and how the Israelites fell short time and again of what God required of them.  This ultimately shows us that we are unable to do things on our own, and need His help

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think a better question is how can God be wrong in those commands to the Israelites?

Or how can we say God was wrong or immoral in any way whatsoever?

We can't judge God when he is the authority of right and wrong.

God has every right to do with his creation as he sees fit.

God is no different in the new testament than he is in the old, just consider the bowl punishments in Revelations.

Edited by Innerfire89