The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
ConfessionalLutheran

Prayer Request.. For me.

I guess the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod will not be needing my services as a pastor after all.. the Admissions Board for Concordia- St. Louis declined my application.

Sorry to hear that. Did they give you any reason/s why?

May God open new doors unto you for His glory.

• Best Answer 1

7 hours ago, Faber said:

Sorry to hear that. Did they give you any reason/s why?

May God open new doors unto you for His glory.

They did, actually. They apparently didn't have all the details they wanted about an old bankruptcy and they thought I should take more time to process my four- year old divorce. Apparently, there's something about my lifestyle that they want to see changed as well ( that was one I did not understand at all). They said I could reapply around 2020 or 2021. 

Thanks be to God that there are indeed other ways that I can serve Him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

They did, actually. They apparently didn't have all the details they wanted about an old bankruptcy and they thought I should take more time to process my four- year old divorce. Apparently, there's something about my lifestyle that they want to see changed as well ( that was one I did not understand at all). They said I could reapply around 2020 or 2021. 

Thanks be to God that there are indeed other ways that I can serve Him.

Are you tied to your denomination? There are others that surly would consider you. However if you feel you want to stay where you are, than no one can stop you from starting a nondenominational church, can they? Pray and seek the will of the Father.is my thinking.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

Are you tied to your denomination? There are others that surly would consider you. However if you feel you want to stay where you are, than no one can stop you from starting a nondenominational church, can they? Pray and seek the will of the Father.is my thinking.

I'm loyal to the Lord and His Church. My Reaffirmation of Faith, first taken in February of 2013 and again when I moved back up to Virginia in 2014, ties me to the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod. I'm sure that I can serve our heavenly Father in another capacity of service in the LCMS. I completely agree that I must pray and seek the will of the Father in this and every circumstance.

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

Sorry to hear this brother, but I respect your Lutheran (Missouri Synod) that much more. My past is similar to yours and is what stopped me from putting in an application to a seminary like Westminster. 

I cannot read 1 Timothy 3 and not be convicted by guilt, therefore, I am not above reproach. 

God bless,

William

• Like 3
  • Best Answer 1

2 minutes ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

I'm loyal to the Lord and His Church. My Reaffirmation of Faith, first taken in February of 2013 and again when I moved back up to Virginia in 2014, ties me to the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod. I'm sure that I can serve our heavenly Father in another capacity of service in the LCMS. I completely agree that I must pray and seek the will of the Father in this and every circumstance.

I do not know how your denomination works, and no disrespect was ever intended. I highly respect your loyality to the Church and of course to King Jesus. God bless you dear friend.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, William said:

Sorry to hear this brother, but I respect your Lutheran (Missouri Synod) that much more. My past is similar to yours and is what stopped me from putting in an application to a seminary like Westminster. 

I cannot read 1 Timothy 3 and not be convicted by guilt, therefore, I am not above reproach. 

God bless,

William

William never doubt that God uses you with the Forum. That is your very special ministry.

I never thought that because I was a bi/vocational pastor that that made me any less than those who had churches that were "full time. My wife has always said being a Bi/vocational pastor meant that you were paid half as much but worked just as many hours, but longer into the days.

Both of your dear brothers are dear to so many of us. Don't ever doubt that you do have a ministry.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, William said:

God bless,

William

Yeah, I guess that I can see that. They are careful and I guess they had to consider their own pastoral roles in regards to me as well as the college. I might not be ready for all that yet.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

I guess the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod will not be needing my services as a pastor after all.. the Admissions Board for Concordia- St. Louis declined my application.

You serve here also :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

56 minutes ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

Yeah, I guess that I can see that. They are careful and I guess they had to consider their own pastoral roles in regards to me as well as the college. I might not be ready for all that yet.

Time for this age is running out, we need to listen to the Holy Spirit for whatever role He has for us. What the Lord leads you to do, know that our prayers are behind you.

Bright Blue Yes Smiley Face, Emoticon

A conversation about nothing in particular - Page 653 - Christian Chat Rooms & Forums

• Best Answer 1

21 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

Does loyalty to Christ necessarily require loyalty to a specific denomination?  What will you do if he leads you to serve in a church of a different denomination?

I was baptized in a Southern Baptist church and for a long time I was loyal that denomination, but God led me to begin attending a church that wasn't Southern Baptist.  Since then I have attended several churches but the only Southern Baptist church I have ever belonged to was the one where I was baptized.

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

1 hour ago, theophilus said:

Does loyalty to Christ necessarily require loyalty to a specific denomination?  What will you do if he leads you to serve in a church of a different denomination?

There's a reason why wolves just do not exists in clergy of Reformed churches. I'm sure when the time is right they'll reconsider the application, but to abandon the reformed faith for a position, to me, demonstrates a struggle for power etc. 

I visited a non denominational church a few months ago. The pastor confessed to putting his wife away because of a desire for another woman that works in the ministry with him. As for C.L. they are probably concerned with his past financial issues because it might tempt him, he may be put in a position where church finances are at his disposal. The police do the same thing, they run background and credit checks as police are put in highly tempting situations where money is involved.

I know how much C.L. loves his church, I feel the same way about mine and would not consider another church which the bar is lowered. No offense intended.

God bless,

William 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theophilus said:

I was baptized in a Southern Baptist church and for a long time I was loyal that denomination, but God led me to begin attending a church that wasn't Southern Baptist.  Since then I have attended several churches but the only Southern Baptist church I have ever belonged to was the one where I was baptized.

While I was in my process of discernment, part of my prayer to the Lord was to lead me to a place where I could do the most good and most thoroughly glorify His Name. That prayer was swiftly answered, by God leading me to the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod.  The Holy Spirit has worked wondrously in my life through the proclamation of the Word and the proper administration of the Sacraments in the context of that church. When I was received into that Church, I took vows to be loyal to the teachings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and faithful to the teachings of Luther's Small Catechism, even in the face of death. God has dealt graciously with me throughout my life, and he has singularly blessed me by leading me to the LCMS.

Part of the Christian life is submission to the proper authorities. I asked, they answered and God still reigns over His people. As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, there are other ways for me to serve that do not necessarily include my entering the Office of the Holy Ministry. I want God's Will to be done and in this case, I believe it has been. Here ( in the LCMS) is where the Lord wants me to be and here, by His grace, shall I remain. Thanks be to God.

• Like 2
  • Best Answer 1

5 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

While I was in my process of discernment, part of my prayer to the Lord was to lead me to a place where I could do the most good and most thoroughly glorify His Name. That prayer was swiftly answered, by God leading me to the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod.  The Holy Spirit has worked wondrously in my life through the proclamation of the Word and the proper administration of the Sacraments in the context of that church. When I was received into that Church, I took vows to be loyal to the teachings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and faithful to the teachings of Luther's Small Catechism, even in the face of death. God has dealt graciously with me throughout my life, and he has singularly blessed me by leading me to the LCMS.

Part of the Christian life is submission to the proper authorities. I asked, they answered and God still reigns over His people. As has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, there are other ways for me to serve that do not necessarily include my entering the Office of the Holy Ministry. I want God's Will to be done and in this case, I believe it has been. Here ( in the LCMS) is where the Lord wants me to be and here, by His grace, shall I remain. Thanks be to God.

You and I feel much the same about our loyalty to our denomination and most of all the Lord Jesus Christ.  I have no desire or would consider changing. I was Licensed and Ordained by Southern Baptist, and If ever I left I would turn in my papers.  I highly respect Loyalty and admire those who think the way we do. 

• Best Answer 1

22 hours ago, Just Mike said:

You and I feel much the same about our loyalty to our denomination and most of all the Lord Jesus Christ.  I have no desire or would consider changing. I was Licensed and Ordained by Southern Baptist, and If ever I left I would turn in my papers.  I highly respect Loyalty and admire those who think the way we do. 

Thank you, @Just Mike, I really appreciate that. We really are all part of one Body, with Jesus Christ as our Head. It might interest some people to know that denomination means nothing more or less than name.  It is true that these " names" have specific theologies and histories attached to them ( for Confessional Lutherans, these are the 5 Solae, Monergism, the Real Bodily Presence in, with and under the Bread and Wine at the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, Baptismal Regeneration, the Book of Concord and the Bible as our theological standard: https://www.lcms.org/about/beliefs/doctrine),

but these " names" are all subject to the Word of God, Who is Our Blessed Lord, Jesus Christ.

I'm so glad to hear that you are equally devoted to your denomination, as @William is to his. The Lord puts us all where we are best able to serve Him and with today's " consumer culture," the temptation to serve ego rather than God and uproot one's spiritual roots whenever it suits him or her can be intense. That's what the ministry of Word and Sacrament is for. God bless you in your ministry, Reverend!

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

On 5/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, ConfessionalLutheran said:

Thank you, @Just Mike, I really appreciate that. We really are all part of one Body, with Jesus Christ as our Head. It might interest some people to know that denomination means nothing more or less than name.  It is true that these " names" have specific theologies and histories attached to them ( for Confessional Lutherans, these are the 5 Solae, Monergism, the Real Bodily Presence in, with and under the Bread and Wine at the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper, Baptismal Regeneration, the Book of Concord and the Bible as our theological standard: https://www.lcms.org/about/beliefs/doctrine),

but these " names" are all subject to the Word of God, Who is Our Blessed Lord, Jesus Christ.

I'm so glad to hear that you are equally devoted to your denomination, as @William is to his. The Lord puts us all where we are best able to serve Him and with today's " consumer culture," the temptation to serve ego rather than God and uproot one's spiritual roots whenever it suits him or her can be intense. That's what the ministry of Word and Sacrament is for. God bless you in your ministry, Reverend!

I never am called Reverend, as I really know anyone who is just that. In the churches I was pastor, that's  what they called me Pastor Mike or by my last name. I try to humble myself, and insisting on calling me anything seems to defeat that IMO.  God bless you dear brother. 

• Best Answer 1

Our ministry continues whether we a paid or not for it, we can continue to trust in Jesus to send us the people we need to help and pray for.

Even if some of us aren't offical ministers or anything, we can bring Jesus to people.

A blunt refusal is a beautiful thing, it's Jesus preventing something not meant for us, or not in His timing. He saves us from many things with those door slams. It's a time of great thanksgiving, because He loves you so much and has prepared other things.

I remember a new senior manager started, and he was completely abusive to me and demoted me and put me in back office at the mine, in humiliation and ridicule. People said I had serious grounds to fight and complain about it. But I let it go, I trusted it to higher up.

Then the senior manager started pulling the same stunt with other managers, and a titanic war began between all of them.  By the end they all looked bad and were fired. I who was quietly tucked away in my back office and eating my lunch alone was then given the senior manager job and put in charge of exploration and core yards as well. Talk about preparing a table in the site of my enemies.

That mine stayed open for a very pleasant 18 months after, when its prospects were only down to weeks.

Another place I worked at was full of vicious people and blasphemers, I shook the dust off my feet when I left. I remember telling the field supervisor as I was heading out to the plane, that that place needed a cyclone. The entire place was completely destroyed in a Cat 4 cyclone weeks later, no sharing ministry could happen there.

So where ever the Lord puts you trust that He will sort things out. We can be nothing but cheerful knowing that we are loved by an infinitely intelligent and infinitely Good God who wants nothing but the best for us.