CaptainFarkus

How can the trinity be one God?

13 hours ago, CaptainFarkus said:

A person is an individual. A being is the nature or essence of a person. One God cannot exist as three divine persons.

That isn't the case, a tree can is a being, but it isn't a person (at least philosophically speaking) - we are dealing with theology here so normal everyday definitions are not always helpful - you have to allow us to define the terms we are using. In Regards to the trinity getting the language exactly right perplexed the church of Jesus Christ for a long time - finally it was settled on these terms that we use today. In English they are 'essence/ being' and 'person' and we make a distinction between the two (as philosophy often does) and we state:

1) God is one essence

2) There are three distinct (but not separate) persons who are partake of that one essence

Now, personally I am loath to go beyond that into explaining the difference between 'essence' and 'person' - for this God we are talking about and to be frank if I could figure him out he wouldn't be greater then me would he. 

However, my friend, if you cannot accept that we mean different things when we say: "God is one" and "there are three are who are God" then we won't get anywhere (I'm not asking you to agree with me on this point I am asking you accept that this is the language I am using and understand that I am making a distinction - can you do that? 

Now, moving on. 

How many persons does the scripture identify as God? 

(1) The scripture identifies the Father as God - 1 Thess  1:1

(2) The scriptures identify Jesus as God - John 20:28

(3) The scriptures identify the Spirit as God - Acts 5:3-4

And yet clearly these three persons are distinct - at the baptism of Jesus we read of the following occurrences:  When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, "This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." (Mat 3:16-17 NKJ)

So, we have three divine persons each taking on specific functions at the baptism of Jesus:

(a) The Son is being baptized

(b) The Father is speaking from heaven

(c) The Spirit is alighting on Jesus

Three persons - each of whom is God - but not three Gods! Indeed Jesus declare "I and my father are one" (John 10:30) - we have just seen that he and the father are distinct persons - yet here Jesus says they are one! He can't mean they are the same person (that makes a nonsense out the Bible) but he can mean they are one essence/ being. 

• Like 1

For simple people like me ... God is:

1 WHAT  &  3 WHOs