theophilus

God’s hatred

A lot is said about God’s love. It is the topic of the most well-known verse in the Bible.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16 ESV

But how often have you heard anyone say anything about God’s hatred? Some people believe that God never hates anyone or anything because they believe all hatred is wrong and God never sins. Here is what the Bible says about that.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven . . . a time to love, and a time to hate.

Ecclesiastes 3:1,8 ESV

When we hate our hatred is usually sinful because we seldom know when hatred is called for. (Our love can also be sinful. We love something that God has told us we shouldn’t love or we love one thing more than another when we should love the second thing more.) God always knows when it is the proper time to love or hate.

Here are some of the things God hates.

There are six things that the LORD hates,

seven that are an abomination to him:

haughty eyes, a lying tongue,

and hands that shed innocent blood,

a heart that devises wicked plans,

feet that make haste to run to evil,

a false witness who breathes out lies,

and one who sows discord among brothers.

Proverbs 6:16-19 ESV

We can summarize this by saying that God hates sin. That is bad news for us because all of us have sinned. God can’t simply overlook sin because it defiles his creation and he must remove it in order to restore creation to its original state of perfection.

Yet God loves humans because we were made in God’s image and he has made a way to remove our sin. He sent his son, Jesus Christ, to earth to die as a sacrifice to atone for our sins. Christ’s resurrection proves that God has accepted his sacrifice.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 5:8 ESV

If we respond to God’s love by repenting of our sins and placing our faith in Christ we will experience an eternity of happiness and fellowship with God. If we reject God’s love we become subject to God’s hate and can only look forward to an eternity of suffering in Hell.

The New Testament word translated Hell is Gehenna. This was the name of a valley outside of Jerusalem where the city’s garbage was taken to be burned. This illustrates the function of Hell. It is where all the moral garbage of creation is taken to be destroyed.

We deserve God’s hatred because of the way we live. His love arises from his nature and isn’t something we deserve.

In order to understand God we must be aware of both his love and his hatred. Some people think only of his love and this makes them believe that there is no danger that they will be judged for their sins. Others focus on his hatred of sin and this leads them to try to live a good enough life to appease it. Both of these errors will keep us from being forgiven and experiencing eternal life.

Answers for Seekers

• Like 5

What about:

"Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated" (Rom 9:13 NKJ)

• Like 1

If it be true that God loves every member of the human family then why did our Lord tell His disciples, “He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth Me: and he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father… 23 If a man love Me, he will keep My words: and My Father will love him” (John 14:21,23)? Why say “he that loveth Me shall be loved of My Father” if the Father loves everybody? The same limitation is found in Proverbs 8:17 “I love them that love Me.” Again; we read, Psalm 5:5 “Thou hatest all workers of iniquity”—not merely the works of iniquity. Here, then, is a flat repudiation of present teaching that, God hates sin but loves the sinner; Scripture says, Psalm 7:11 “God is angry with the wicked every day.” (KJV) John 3:36 "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him." (KJV) —not “shall abide,” but even now— ”abideth on him” (Psalm 5:5; Psalm 7:11; John 3:36b). Can God “love” the one on whom His “wrath” abides? Again; is it not evident that the words “The love of God which is in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:39) mark a limitation, both in the sphere and objects of His love? Again; is it not plain from the words “Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated” (Romans 9:13) that God does not love everybody? Again; it is written, “For whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth” (Hebrews 12:6). Does not this verse teach that God’s love is restricted to the members of His own family? If He loves all men without exception, then the distinction and limitation here mentioned is quite meaningless.

A.W.Pink

• Like 3

J. I. Packer suggests that impassibility does not preclude God’s having emotions. Instead, he explains, impassibility means that “no created being can inflict pain, suffering, and distress on Him at their own will.” Perhaps the viewing of a movie is an apt analogy as one chooses to be or not be emotionally involved.

Concerning God's impassibility, it is not claimed that God is devoid of what one would describe as feelings/emotions, or that he is some stone-cold, stoic deity. Rather one must understand God, not as expressing emotion/feeling at one moment and not another, but expressing such constantly and without change. God is constant in his love, goodness, wrath, and mercy. He cannot suffer. God cannot be changed in his anger, love, mercy, or goodness by outside forces, yet he really does love; he really is angry at sin, and really is merciful to sinners. However, he is all these things in fullness and unchangeableness. Therefore, God is wholly active in these things. He does not run hot and cold in his love for his people, or his anger toward sin. This is what the Westminster Confession seems to mean when it states that God is without "passions." One should see God as infinite and never changing (decreasing or increasing) in his love. This, of course, is the God we need! Not one who just loves more than we do, but who loves with an infinite never changing love.

• Like 1

What about:

Sucks to be Esau!!

If you understand or know Jesus the Son then you know and understand the Father. Jesus tied obedience to love for God. As in if you love me you will obey me and Jesus and the Father will make their home with you.

What about:

What did Esau and Cain have in common that God rejected them: attitude. If they would have lost that disrespectful attitude, God would accept them.

A lot is said about God’s love. It is the topic of the most well-known verse in the Bible.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

But how often have you heard anyone say anything about God’s hatred? Some people believe that God never hates anyone or anything because they believe all hatred is wrong and God never sins. Here is what the Bible says about that.

I am sorry to need to point this out but YHWH, Yashuah and Ruach do not hate but all three are Just and being Just they are not bullies but will allow each and every one of us to exist in either Heaven or in the Lake of Fire with Satan and his Demons, the Default Choice, But this has naught to do with the loss of YHWH's Eternal Love nor His hate. The Triune Elohim will have His Day of Wrath, the Seven Year Tribulation and he will Judge all of us in the two Judgments. I will give you an Earthly example of those judgments: I did not hate my children when I judged their conduct was worthy of discipline, no, I wanted them to grow up to be successful, productive and good citizens because I loved them. The one that missed that mark is still loved by me but I will not allow him to rest in my house. Does that hurt my heart? You can and should believe it does but I an only abide so much theft before I judge a person, any person.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven . . . a time to love, and a time to hate.

John 3:16 is not erased by Ecc, 3:1,8 but rather in the Bible they must be reconciled to one another and that can only occur through the Holy Spirit/Ghost, your preference. If a man has not the Spirit or is quenching the Spirit, he cannot understand that both are true of the Saved and the Lost Man at the same time. back in Genesis 1-3 we find that YHWH did not cease to love Adam nor Eve. Nor does He hate Hitler for what he did but save that he repented and died with a clean heart, He will, after the World is cleansed by fire, take all of the people out of Sheol/Hell, judge their deeds and send them into the Eternal Lake of Fire where they will never perish because they, also, were created in the Image of God.

When we hate our hatred is usually sinful because we seldom know when hatred is called for.

Pardon me but if a man or a woman does not know when to hate, how can they either not be filled with the Ruach (a.k.a. The Holy Spirit) or they are guilty of the sin of Quenching Him. Ruach lets me know right away that I need to hate this or that.

(Our love can also be sinful. We love something that God has told us we shouldn’t love or we love one thing more than another when we should love the second thing more.) God always knows when it is the proper time to love or hate.

We can summarize this by saying that God hates sin. That is bad news for us because all of us have sinned. God can’t simply overlook sin because it defiles his creation and he must remove it in order to restore creation to its original state of perfection.

Yet God loves humans because we were made in God’s image and he has made a way to remove our sin. He sent his son, Jesus Christ, to earth to die as a sacrifice to atone for our sins. Christ’s resurrection proves that God has accepted his sacrifice.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

If we respond to God’s love by repenting of our sins and placing our faith in Christ we will experience an eternity of happiness and fellowship with God. If we reject God’s love we become subject to God’s hate and can only look forward to an eternity of suffering in Hell.

The New Testament word translated Hell is Gehenna. This was the name of a valley outside of Jerusalem where the city’s garbage was taken to be burned. This illustrates the function of Hell. It is where all the moral garbage of creation is taken to be destroyed.

We deserve God’s hatred because of the way we live. His love arises from his nature and isn’t something we deserve.

In order to understand God we must be aware of both his love and his hatred Some people think only of his love and this makes them believe that there is no danger that they will be judged for their sins. Others focus on his hatred of sin and this leads them to try to live a good enough life to appease it. Both of these errors will keep us from being forgiven and experiencing eternal life.

The bolded is by me and it is pure bunk and extremely dangerous Legalism. I firmly believe that YHWH loves the sinner but hates the sin. Having done the yearly read through from Genesis 1:1 through the last word f Rev. 22 many time in the last 28 years and have been taught this by the Ruach and believe me, if either one of us were not sinners by nature and acts we would never have needed to be saved in the first place.

• Like 1

I am sorry to need to point this out but YHWH, Yashuah and Ruach do not hate but all three are Just and being Just they are not bullies but will allow each and every one of us to exist in either Heaven or in the Lake of Fire with Satan and his Demons, the Default Choice, But this has naught to do with the loss of YHWH's Eternal Love nor His hate. The Triune Elohim will have His Day of Wrath, the Seven Year Tribulation and he will Judge all of us in the two Judgments. I will give you an Earthly example of those judgments: I did not hate my children when I judged their conduct was worthy of discipline, no, I wanted them to grow up to be successful, productive and good citizens because I loved them. The one that missed that mark is still loved by me but I will not allow him to rest in my house. Does that hurt my heart? You can and should believe it does but I an only abide so much theft before I judge a person, any person.

John 3:16 is not erased by Ecc, 3:1,8 but rather in the Bible they must be reconciled to one another and that can only occur through the Holy Spirit/Ghost, your preference. If a man has not the Spirit or is quenching the Spirit, he cannot understand that both are true of the Saved and the Lost Man at the same time. back in Genesis 1-3 we find that YHWH did not cease to love Adam nor Eve. Nor does He hate Hitler for what he did but save that he repented and died with a clean heart, He will, after the World is cleansed by fire, take all of the people out of Sheol/Hell, judge their deeds and send them into the Eternal Lake of Fire where they will never perish because they, also, were created in the Image of God.

When we hate our hatred is usually sinful because we seldom know when hatred is called for.

Pardon me but if a man or a woman does not know when to hate, how can they either not be filled with the Ruach (a.k.a. The Holy Spirit) or they are guilty of the sin of Quenching Him. Ruach lets me know right away that I need to hate this or that.

(Our love can also be sinful. We love something that God has told us we shouldn’t love or we love one thing more than another when we should love the second thing more.) God always knows when it is the proper time to love or hate.

In order to understand God we must be aware of both his love and his hatred Some people think only of his love and this makes them believe that there is no danger that they will be judged for their sins. Others focus on his hatred of sin and this leads them to try to live a good enough life to appease it. Both of these errors will keep us from being forgiven and experiencing eternal life.

The bolded is by me and it is pure bunk and extremely dangerous Legalism. I firmly believe that YHWH loves the sinner but hates the sin. Having done the yearly read through from Genesis 1:1 through the last word f Rev. 22 many time in the last 28 years and have been taught this by the Ruach and believe me, if either one of us were not sinners by nature and acts we would never have needed to be saved in the first place.

I am sure there is a sign over the gates of hell that says: "God loves you".

*sarcasm intended*

Divine anger and hatred is directed against all who reject Jesus Christ. (John 3:36b; Romans 1:18; Romans 2:5, Romans 2:8; Romans 5:9; Romans 9:22; Colossians 3:6; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 1 Thessalonians 2:16 (people persecuted by Jews); 1 Thessalonians 5:9; Hebrews 3:11; Revelation 6:16-17; Revelation 19:15). His opposition to sin which is judicial in nature and can exist simultaneously with love. It may be placated, pacified or satisfied.

• Like 1

I am sorry to need to point this out but YHWH, Yashuah and Ruach do not hate but all three are Just and being Just they are not bullies but will allow each and every one of us to exist in either Heaven or in the Lake of Fire with Satan and his Demons, the Default Choice, But this has naught to do with the loss of YHWH's Eternal Love nor His hate.

What about Malachi 1:2?

I am sorry to need to point this out but YHWH, Yashuah and Ruach do not hate but all three are Just and being Just they are not bullies but will allow each and every one of us to exist in either Heaven or in the Lake of Fire with Satan and his Demons, the Default Choice, But this has naught to do with the loss of YHWH's Eternal Love nor His hate.

It depends on the context.

@Bill Taylor - in what way does 'context' affect this - you assert that God doesn't hate anyone, Mal 1:2 says he does, to simply dismiss this verse with 5 words does make your case on stronger, but weakens it - so what is the context that mitigates against the plain reading of 'hated' - and my apologies it is mal 1:2-3 of course :D

• Like 1

I firmly believe that YHWH loves the sinner but hates the sin.

That's a Christian cliche that needs to die! It isn't the sin in hell but the sinner. The error here is clumping the Elect (Whom God foreloved or laid his affections upon) with all sinners (reprobate).

Definition of hate ... feel intense or passionate dislike for (someone).

Speaking of God's Hatred .... I've always had difficulty with Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be My disciple.

Now, I have heard that:

1) Hate should be thought of as being a relative term. Relative to God we should hate whoever

2) That "love" and "hate" should be thought of as "favor" and "not favor"

If "Hate" does not mean "Hate" (intense dislike for someone) in Luke 14:26 then who is to say hate means (intense dislike for someone) in Mal 1:2-3 and in Romans 9? (playing devil's advocate to some degree)

Maybe one needs to know Greek which means I have to trust someone else and I always hesitate to do that.

• Like 1

Speaking of God's Hatred .... I've always had difficulty with Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters — yes, even his own life — he cannot be My disciple.

Now, I have heard that:

1) Hate should be thought of as being a relative term. Relative to God we should hate whoever

If "Hate" does not mean "Hate" (intense dislike for someone) in Luke 14:26 then who is to say hate means (intense dislike for someone) in Mal 1:2-3 and in Romans 9? (playing devil's advocate to some degree)

Maybe one needs to know Greek which means I have to trust someone else and I always hesitate to do that.

Some suggest "hate" is relative and simply means love less.

• Psalm 139:21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?

I consider this a "righteous hatred", loving God entails hating God's enemies. However, I caution when making an application to my own life, because it is too easy to justify any personal hatred I may have. There's nothing more dangerous in my book than one who thinks God is always on their side rather than a person aligning themselves to God's side.

As far as Luke 14:26, in its application I believe it suggests that no earthly affection must compete with the love of God.

God bless,

William

• Like 4

Now, I have heard that:

Some suggest "hate" is relative and simply means love less.

• Psalm 139:21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD? And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?

I consider this a "righteous hatred", loving God entails hating God's enemies. However, I caution when making an application to my own life, because it is too easy to justify any personal hatred I may have. There's nothing more dangerous in my book than one who thinks God is always on their side rather than a person aligning themselves to God's side.

As far as Luke 14:26, in its application I believe it suggests that no earthly affection must compete with the love of God.

God bless,

William

Well, that's the way I understand the verse. But if the verse was given to an English teacher I doubt very much he would come to the conclusion we do and that gives me pause. Thx for your answer. :)

Now, I have heard that:

I find that you are on the right track. For some reason there is no Quote Button to respond to his post but his answer lays withing your post and my answer to you. As for the Context issue there are several classes or stages of Context in the scriptures causing those not being indwelt with or guilty of quenching the Holy Spirit not to see those level clearly. Before I was saved to me, the Bible as gibberish but the very night I was saved and the Holy Spirit indwelt me I opened my small KJV to Isaiah 53 and it made perfect sense to me. Before that the only Book I could make sense of was the Gospel of John.

The levels of context I see are the local = the context of the paragraph, the great = the chapter, the greater = the chapter, what are they talking about and the greatest = the Bible is authored/inspired by one author, YHWH with a single message, the message, Salvation, making it of one context from "In the Beginning... through the very last word of Revelation 22.

I pray that is what you were looking for.

Why don't you simply use the term 'Holy Spirit' instead of (Ruach).

Now, I have heard that:

I find that you are on the right track. For some reason there is no Quote Button to respond to his post but his answer lays withing your post and my answer to you. As for the Context issue there are several classes or stages of Context in the scriptures causing those not being indwelt with or guilty of quenching the Holy Spirit not to see those level clearly. Before I was saved to me, the Bible as gibberish but the very night I was saved and the Holy Spirit indwelt me I opened my small KJV to Isaiah 53 and it made perfect sense to me. Before that the only Book I could make sense of was the Gospel of John.

The levels of context I see are the local = the context of the paragraph, the great = the chapter, the greater = the chapter, what are they talking about and the greatest = the Bible is authored/inspired by one author, YHWH with a single message, the message, Salvation, making it of one context from "In the Beginning... through the very last word of Revelation 22.

I pray that is what you were looking for.

"Context" is context. I really don't know where you get the concept of 'stages of' context. And, yes, the context of Any verse is very important. And it Does consist of verses around it and the given chapter and the book. Historical, cultural settings.

A person can do a 'word' study // for instance tracing the word 'faith' through the Bible. The concordance in the back of the Bible gives all the scriptures that have 'faith' in them. Write them down and get the context of each verse. The surrounding verses and the chapter it's found in.

The Holy Spirit is our teacher-- as well as those who have been given particular gifts of teaching / preaching.

The Holy Spirit was teaching you about Himself in the Gospel of John. And then He enabled you to understand Isaiah 53.

A person can do a book study on one of the smaller books. Getting the cultural background, who the book is written To, who it's written By. Notice frequently used words / phrases. The theme of the book. It can be interesting.

• Like 2

Now, I have heard that:

Isn't that what you doing every time you read the Bible - trusting people who know/ knew Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek?

• Like 1

Now, I have heard that:

There's also a passage that says that God is a jealous God -- that He wants to be our 1st love -- even above that of our parents, people near us in our lives.

We don't equate That kind of jealously with our human jeolousy do we? They aren't the same.

We Do need to trust that the translators have done their very best work in going from the Greek, Hebrew to English or whatever other language is being read from.

Proverbs 3:5, 6. God's Word directing our paths. Who do we love the Most?

Now, I have heard that:

Isn't that what you doing every time you read the Bible - trusting people who know/ knew Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek?

Definitely. But I wasn't addressing that issue. Let me try to clarify.

Given that the English version was written by Greek/English scholars and therefore is as close as possible to the original meaning.

Given that the dictionary defines "hate" as "intense or passionate dislike for (someone)"

Given: Luke 14:26 says: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters"

Given: we are to love/honor our parents

My thought: The verse seems to contradict other verses. The verse standing alone would convey a meaning that is not intended. The context does not change my opinion.

My question: What went wrong? Is one of my premises incorrect? Did the all the Greek/English scholars 'blow it'? Do the commentaries try to hide the issue with statements like ... well, love and hate are relative terms and relative to God we should hate all others.

Conclusion: The verse still has me scratching my head.

Now, I have heard that:

@Fastfredy0 I get what you are saying!

But here is the thing - I'm not sure how to help you if you won't trust me :D

maybe it is helpful to think about the cost of discipleship. In Luke 9:23 Jesus says, '23 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.' the cost of following Jesus means to deny yourself (yet in a different context paul commends us for cherishing and nourishing the flesh - Eph 5:29) - in one context we are to deny ourselves, in another we are to look after ourselves - is that a contradiction or is it both?

Now, when it comes to Luke 14:26 Jesus Christ is clearly teaching people the cost of discipleship - it is similar teaching to that found in Luke 9:23 - this time though his focus is not upon denying self - but upon denying family! Consider his context, if the people he is ministering to choose to follow him it will, potentially cost them their position in the family (think of Paul) Jesus Christ is asking them if they are prepared to count their families ties as dung (which is exactly what Paul did - phil 3:8). So Jesus Christ isn't talking about a psychological hate - ie a feeling of hate - but a renunciation similar to one that is required in Luke 9:23 (that time it was a renunciation of self - this time it is a renunciation of family) - in sense the hyperbole is perfectly proper and even typical of the biblical style of teaching.

consider also what Jesus says in Luke 18:29, ' So He said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or parents or brothers or wife or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life." - here Jesus Christ is talking about the person who is living out this principle, the one who has counted this cost, denied himself, left his family, and is following Jesus.

and I've done my best to keep away from the original languages for you :D

Posted (edited)

Now, I have heard that:

'm not sure how to help you if you won't trust me

Actually, I do trust you and I was hoping that you would address my query as I value your opinion. That being said, my dad always said that I should trust but verify everyone including himself (not his exact words). Your previous posts have lead me to trust you more than most authors.

Thank you for your answer. This basically is the conclusion I had come to. I sometimes wish a few verses were written with more clarity or I was more clairvoyant.

If I was writing the verse I would have done it differently, but the Holy Spirit is not one to ask for a second opinion. 😊

Edited by Fastfredy0
  • Like 1

Now, I have heard that:

just to be clear the 'trust' thing was a joke